Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merfolk Books?

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Post Merfolk Books?

Does anyone have any suggestions for any good books featuring mermen and mermaids? Every time I've searched up books about mermaids, I get books for little girls, and whenever I've searched up books about mermen, I get very graphically sexual books. I'd preferably like them to not follow stereotypes. Pretty much everything I've found so far, has been incredibly stereotypical. I'm not trying to offend people who have qualities stereotypically associated with merfolk, because that's totally amazing, but I just want to see some variety. I love when I can read things about my interests, but if everything is either pink, frilly, and cutesy, or full of sex, neither of which is all that appealing to me.

Hi Jamie ! Have you checked out my book site that I'm working on?

http://ssmermaidlibrary.blogspot.ca/?m=1
    The SeaGlass Siren

I recommend the waterfire saga. Mermaids, mermen, nothing stereotypic (in fact it sometimes pokes fun at the stereotypes) and lots of action!

I too have found the same issue. What the heck is with all the fluff and stuff?! I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd (not enough Mer stuff, but good so far) May I also recommend The Sea Lady by HG Wells.

I've gotta check out this Waterfire saga!! Thank you.

And a whole blog dedicated to Mermaid books... Oh my! So much love!

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    One site you might want to check out is "Mer Books Blog." It has been up for years, and has many reviews on mermaid books as well as movies. It has been less active in the last few years, but there is still a lot of info.

Ugh, I have the same problem! There are only 2 books/series I've found so far that are not to "mature" or to little-kiddish. The two book series I have found are the Waterfire Saga and The Tail of Emily Windsnap. I love both of them and own several books from them.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Your blog looks like it has a lot of good reviews. I'll definitely check out some of the books.

A friend of mine has written two ya/fanticy books. The first one is at https://www.wattpad.com/story/423918...mations-book-1, second is at https://www.wattpad.com/story/467993...mations-book-2

Hey guys, I was looking for merfolk book recommendations that are not the usual stories, and found your thread. I'll definitely check out the series you posted

I can also recommend you guys a new series, Underneath - A Merfolk Tale. The second book is coming this Tuesday

Here's the blurb in case you're interested:

When an injured merman is found washed up on a beach in Maine, his arrival at the ER leaves his new doctors at a loss of how to treat him. Worse, how are they going to keep him from the military's eager hands?

One reporter is hot on the trail of what she believes is an elaborate hoax—or the story of a lifetime. A story that has her tracking elusive clues into an ever-growing house of secrets surrounding one of the richest families in New York City.

For merfolk have been hiding in plain sight for centuries, and are now torn between sacrificing one of their own—or telling humanity the truth.

Hey all-

I've been lurking around here for about a month now, but I figure this should probably be my first post. I don't do much cosplay, but I do draw and write about seafolk. My first book (a cozy mystery) is out now FOR FREE and it takes place on an island of sea nymphs. You can check it out here: https://goo.gl/d3TTbB

It's surprisingly doing really well! Had no idea there were so many of us out there.

Are you a writer? I'm a college student. I need to write an essay on the internal structure of fish. My friend advised one platform, which helps students in writing the academic paper. Can you help me? I would like to find more resources, which will help to fully reveal the topic that I got. Thank you
    Last edited by BobLee; 03-28-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Hi, all:

I'm an SF writer, so this thread caught my eye. I've just published the last book in a science fiction trilogy (Aquarius Rising Trilogy) where the bulk of the action takes place in the oceans; the main characters are mostly Aquarians, a hybrid species that are half-human, half-dolphin, who have built thriving reef-cities amid the ruins of drowned coastal cities in the wake of global warming. Not classic merpeople from myth or fantasy... but kind of the "science geek" version. ;-)

Anyway, if you're looking for something a bit different where marine mammals and ocean-dwelling humanoids are the heroes, this might appeal to you. You can find out more about the series here: http://www.briantburt.com/novels/index.html

For what it's worth, Book 1 won EPIC's 2014 eBook Award for SF and Book 2 won the 2016 Readers' Favorite Gold Medal for SF.

If you have any questions about the novels or the ideas behind them, feel free to post them. Thanks!

I have the Waterfire Saga, How To Be A Mermaid, and the Swans Landing trilogy for my Kindle and just today I picked up a copy of mermaid folklore and myths from Barnes and Noble

Merman Caspian

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I actually have a story on Patreon that was formerly on Fictionpress. It's come a LONG WAY since its fictionpress days. It's still a work in progress, but chapter 1 is PUBLIC to give everyone a sample.

http://www.patreon.com/posts/7876460

The summary.

When Dylan Tidalian was younger, his sister vanished after saving him from a Fallen Shark. Now, he's exploring the sea around his home searching for his sister. Whether it be fate or because of his deep desire to find his sister, he emerges from a dreamscape that restricted his search. The world he finds himself in, however, is filled with monsters, and his home has Fallen to Darkness.

I'm going to be honest and just say that working out the details of how Sleep and Dreams work was difficult, but I think I came up with something awesome.

In fact, the Wayward Tides Series has so much in it that I had to break up the history into 3 ages and create a Patreon account to share all the extra information that makes up the world I'm writing about.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I have actually just started a new YA series that is themed around mermaid transformation.
    http://amzn.to/2vICaxo
    Name:  51ecBbKS+9L.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  46.5 KB

I didn't realize I already shared my book.
    Last edited by Merman Dylan Zalrian; 09-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Just tweeted about your book

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dylan Zalrian View Post
    I didn't realize I already shared my book.
    Just tweeted your book link. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by copyboy View Post
    Just tweeted your book link. Hope it helps.
    Thanks. My book is still a work in progress. The chapters are just early access.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

One of the best merfolk book series. It changed my life... was ingo by Helen dunmore the series also has the tide not, into the deep, and crossing ingo. You can not go wrong with this series it is a must read !!!!