Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monofinless, single scale method tail in the making.

Monofinless, single scale method tail in the making.

I started this a while ago, and am already on my second attempt at the fluke mold, so I'll post what I've done and tell the tale of woe and renewal. lol My husband got me started on supplies in December, then I purchased a bit more of what I'd need each month since then until I could get started in late February.

My plan: Monofinless fluke and the PearlieMae method of tailbuilding. Why? I have a Finis Wave, and honestly, I just don't like how it feels. I have narrow size 6.5 feet, and even with neoprene booties, my toes slide forward, and it's very uncomfy. I've been toying with the idea of a monofinless tail for a while, as I don't plan on taking it in the ocean and I like smaller flukes (such as what you'll see in Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, see my profile pic for that mermaid tail). I also really like the look of no monofin, smaller heel bumps, smoother ankles. So heck, why not. Then I decided I will make the fluke as a monofin itself first, with a strap, and then build a tailbody to attach to it. That might be too ambitious, and I might end up attaching it permanently.

While I have played with making scales, this is the first time I've sculpted a fluke. It's so much fun! And meditative, too.
    Onward to the pics!

So it began. I had a piece of Lexan on top of the vellum my fluke design was drawn on, because vellum is very slippy and the clay would not stick, at all. I used vellum because I had a roll of it already and it's easy to trace through for doubling the half-design I drew first. My clay is Plastilina. I used a clay conditioner to soften the clay, and an extruder to create the long, snake-like pieces for the outline. I wanted it to be very even to begin with.

Name:  IMG_20170308_181025.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  64.7 KB

I built it up.

Name:  IMG_20170309_112116.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170309_155901.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  45.9 KB

I textured it, and added scales to the foot pocket area. The texture here was before refining.

Name:  IMG_20170309_233557.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170310_154204.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  65.8 KB

Built up a wall, and then made sure it was laying flat on the ground outside, by using a level and stir sticks to even it out.

Name:  IMG_20170312_125437.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  58.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170312_125837.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  77.7 KB

And then I mixed and poured the fiberglass resin. Woe and behold, it did not turn out well. Within 15 minutes, a crack appeared. Then, the San Andreas opened up. I had followed instructions and the weather was ideal But it did not work out.

Name:  IMG_20170312_134701.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  71.6 KBName:  IMG_20170312_134927.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  81.2 KB

A friend of mine who works with fiberglass often said it was probably too much hardener. I told him I'd followed instructions exactly. He then said, "The best thing to do with the mix directions is throw them out! Temp, humidity, elevation, and elves always change how it turns out." WELL. ELVES. Okay, then. I won't be using fiberglass resin again. I see most people have success with it, but this experience has soured me. And the smell. OMG. Even outside, with the door closed, it stank to high heaven.

Such a shame though, because I can see the detail was really captured.

Name:  IMG_20170312_172613.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  111.3 KB

Last edited by deepblue; 03-22-2017 at 02:15 AM.

So I've started on the second attempt. I drew a new outline, which is pretty basic and mostly the same, but neater. I've started over, using a slightly different set of steps and it's been a much quicker go this time.

Name:  IMG_20170316_152837.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20170316_155119.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170316_191543.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20170316_224401.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  44.1 KB

Here's where I am now.

Name:  IMG_20170321_000525 (1).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  67.5 KB

Oh dear that mustn't been frustrating! I like your fluke though - I hope your next mould works out better!
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Yeah, fiberglass resin is GAWDAWFUL for stench, and digging the clay out afterward took forever. I decided the more expensive resin was definitely worth it (less stink, much easier to clean!). I'm so sorry your mold broke, but the second fluke is looking marvelous!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Very pretty sculpt! Here's hoping your mold works better this time!!

How will your propulsion be without a monofin?

Your sculpt is beautiful! I'm a fan of the long tendrils. I'm too gathering supplies to try my hand at sculpting a fluke and making a monofin less tail. Are you going to use a stiffer silicone? One of these days I'm going to try and talk to a smooth on person to see if any of the stiffer silicones/rubbers will adhere to the dragon skin to give it a stiffer core with the dragon skin skin.

Good luck on the next mold! What do you plan on using this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Member Pod of New England
    Add Alyx on Facebook
    Follow Alyx on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    i wonder this as well

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I love your fluke design! And the little adjustments you seem to have made between the molds are really nice. It has really tidied it all up and it looks AMAZING.
    I am following for my own crafty pleasure

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    It should be just fine. I've been watching videos of people swimming in Mike Van Daal's monofinless works of art since he started making them 5 years ago, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. The mers who have his tails (also called FlipTails) do mention they're heavier, but since I don't have one, I can't be sure as to why. I will be using a stiffer silicone, a harder shore, along with a Dragonskin 10. It's possible that this will make it heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeniebikini View Post
    Your sculpt is beautiful! I'm a fan of the long tendrils. I'm too gathering supplies to try my hand at sculpting a fluke and making a monofin less tail. Are you going to use a stiffer silicone? One of these days I'm going to try and talk to a smooth on person to see if any of the stiffer silicones/rubbers will adhere to the dragon skin to give it a stiffer core with the dragon skin skin.

Good luck on the next mold! What do you plan on using this time?
    I plan to use Smooth-On's Smooth Cast. I like the 1-1 mix ratio. I've made scale tests using plasters, and I find them too easily chipped, so I already know I don't want to go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    I love your fluke design! And the little adjustments you seem to have made between the molds are really nice. It has really tidied it all up and it looks AMAZING.
    I am following for my own crafty pleasure
    Thanks! I also really like the small differences, I'm very pleased with how this one is turning out, better than the last.

I've had precious little time to work on it the past few days, but I managed to get this much scaling done today and yesterday.

Name:  IMG_20170324_182045.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  142.7 KB

That is simply divine.
    I love the differing size of scales. It looks very natural.
    Can't wait to see more!

My second go is now ready for casting. I've also put several clay scales down, so that I can mold the fluke and a number of scales at the same time. I also have a separate but not pictured plaster mold of just scales.

I drove myself a little nuts this second time around. I kept having scale layout symmetry issues, even after measurements, so I had to start over on the scaling. But then I discovered the issue- a spine that was off by 1/8", which made everything which followed that much more off. Fixed it, and now I think I have to let go and accept that it's good enough because I've reworked the texture over and over and I don't think I'm going to get much better than this. lol The overlap at the top is so that when two are sandwiched together, one will overlap and be used to seal over the edge on each side.

Name:  IMG_20170406_194651.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  68.4 KB

Unfortunately, my planned trip to the art supply place that carries Smooth-On Smooth Cast did not happen, so I need to keep all this safe til I get home with the materials on Saturday.

This is going to be so beautiful! I'm sorry your first cast broke, but look at the improvements that came from it <3

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Argh. Its gorgeous.
    I may be lusting after this, HARD.
    I cannot wait to see it cast.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    This is going to be so beautiful! I'm sorry your first cast broke, but look at the improvements that came from it <3

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    Argh. Its gorgeous.
    I may be lusting after this, HARD.
    I cannot wait to see it cast.
    Thank you both. I hope it turns out as I'm envisioning.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Its looking great! Cant wait to see more progress!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    <3 stunning!

Thanks for the support!

I was able to get to the art supply place this weekend. Before pouring, I decided to spray the entire surface with Smooth-On's Universal Mold Release, because I had no idea if the plastic would adhere to the plastic surface I used. I wasn't concerned about the clay being an issue.

First, I made sure the whole thing was even. My building was built in the 70s, things settle, and yes indeed, I did need to level it. I used stir sticks stacked underneath the whole thing until the bubble was center in all directions.

Name:  IMG_20170409_142020.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  91.8 KB

Also not pictured, I noticed the plastic lifting a tad on the corners, so I weighed it all down using the small weights from my husband's weight set. Everything was flat, from what I could tell. I imagine it was the warmth of the Smooth Cast that caused the plastic to try to warp, but I also didn't expect it from this product because there wasn't all that much heat coming off it. This happened with the resin attempt, and the plastic was totally flat when removed. So. If I do this again, I'm going to use a different surface.

When it came time to lift the mold, almost all of it came right off, which was nice. You can see here how much was left on the surface. But all the scales were left behind, which makes sense size-wise.

Name:  IMG_20170409_181618.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  69.3 KB

Somewhere along the line, some of the liquid seeped under the clay. It created a very fine layer, most of which was easy to just pop off. However, it got through the scales and even though I'd pressed them down and tried to keep that from happening. It was so thin, though- no problem getting it out with the clay underneath.

Name:  IMG_20170409_181631.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  50.0 KB

One problem I ran into was bubbles forming in the scale molds that I added. Not all of them have them. Most do. It also did a weird thing where it pulled up part of scale to create a bubble that is still textured. But it's not a huge deal, as this was just to see how it would work and I can still create some small molds just for scales, and I have one from plaster already prepared. This photo could have better focus, sorry about that. But you can see the pit where a bubble formed.

Name:  IMG_20170409_181927.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  34.8 KB

Here's the little creature my husband created from the clay he helped pull out of the mold.

Name:  IMG_20170409_183513.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  30.8 KB

Getting the clay and plastic bits from the scaly area has been a rather tedious endeavor.

Name:  IMG_20170409_205257.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  65.5 KB

Here's where I am now.

Name:  IMG_20170410_000413.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  64.4 KB

I should mention that I'm using a stiff nailbrush to help get the clay out. It's working much better than the old toothbrush I have on hand, which is just too soft.

Current plan is to get this cleaned out, do a couple scale tests using the different shores of DragonSkin I have on hand, and do a pigment test, and once that's done I will pour in stages.

In stages because I don't know if you can tell in the photos, but this mold came out bowed up in the center. smh. I should not have used he surface I did. However, my plan was already to pour the spines first, then the scales, then the webbing, using clay to block flow, and thereby getting colors where I want them without dealing with paint, since I don't have the equipment for painting and I do have all sorts of Pearl Ex pigment powders as well as some black and holographic powder pigment I found on Etsy.

I hope to get that done this week. I still homeschool my daughter since her legs still, on occasion, have trouble, so my time during the week is limited, but I'm absolutely enjoying this whole process. Even the mistakes are fun before they become msitakes. heh.
    Last edited by deepblue; 04-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Euro Pod Freshwater_Nim's Avatar
    Now that is one Beautiful sculpt! I'm so rooting for you!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    EARTH WITHOUT ART IS JUST EH. --- Scales by Nim ---
    Tailmaking Diary

Lovely.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty