Thread: Amounts and Prices for Making a Silicone Tail

Senior Member Pod of The South

Amounts and Prices for Making a Silicone Tail

Hey guys,
    I am looking forward to hopefully making a better tail this summer and need some help with some amounts and costs. Im currently comparing the costs of two different tail making methods, the GE Silicone Neoprene hybrid method (like Fifi Tigg) and the Individual Scale method (like Pearlie). I have estimated it will cost about $290 for the partial method (but that could fluctuate if I am able to get a few things cheaper than I originally found them). I am unsure about several things though with the full draginskin that drastically change the price.

1) How many gallons of silicone will I need to make a full tail? Most threads I've seen where people ask they say they used about one and a half for their tail, but they typically also have extra fins and such. Im a slender 5'11 guy and dont plan on any extra fins. At this time I also plan to use the Mahina in my tail, so since that monofin is already thicker I am also planning on casting the fluke on the thin side. That fin is also not the largest. Do you think I could get away with just one gallon and a test kit?

2) About how much clay (I plan to use plastilina) and shellshock will I need just for a fluke and scales?

3) Bonus Question: Does anyone know if there are issues with using the mahina in a silicone tail? I know the rubber inhibits curing, so will I just have to be extra careful not to let them come into contact? Or will I just have to choose a different fin?

I hope you guys can help me! Thanks!
    Last edited by Rett; 03-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Pod of Cali WaterDragon's Avatar
    I can't answer all or even most of your questions since I am still working on my first tail but I can say my husband is 6'4 and his tail has no extra fins. After getting the scales done We purchased a 2nd gallon kit because there was not enough silicone left for the fluke.

I'm not sure what the size difference is between the mahina and the Rapid (the monofin we are using) I am guessing you might manage to make a tail out of one gallon and one test kit but you would likely have no room for mistakes or problems with cureing.

As for the clay, I think I ended up useing about 10 lbs for the fluke. And ... I can't recall the amount of resin.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully someone else can fill in more of the gaps.

My fluke sculptures use between 7-8 lbs of clay, and about 2/3 a big order of smooth cast 300 resin. My flukes typically take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of a gallon order of dragon skin. I'm pretty sure you could glue your dragon skin flukes to the mahina with sil-poxy, which shouldn't be inhibited by the rubber.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    For shellshock, if you're doing individual, you wont need very large molds, you will probably need 1 full size order. Silicone varied based on how thick your pour, for the most part. between 1 and 1.5 gal. Clay is really dependent on you as well. How big are your sculpts? How thick? I ended up having to order an extra halfway through sculpting my fluke. You can not cure dragonskin in contact with the mahina.

Based on my thinking and observing, I do not think that the cost of the two methods is very different. You need a lot of silicone tubes to cover a whole tail. Also, shellshock is pretty expensive. You could use fiberglass resin, plaster, probably other stuff that's cheaper.

Amounts and Prices for Making a Silicone Tail

Okay here it goes-
    this is a (almost) complete list for a full silicone mermaid tail

Open Packages - and keep a list

MERMAID TAIL Ordered Materials

Tap Plastics Mold Materials - Call on Order - 1 $195.75

-31738Urethane RTV Mold-Making System, 2 gallon

Monster Clay (2) 54.93

Clay Tools $9.00

Silicone $207.57 (x2 : You Will Most Likely Need Two Orders of there part A and B buckets)

-Smooth-On Medium Dry

Paint Brushes $9.99

-6 Pack - 3" Disposable Chip Brushes - Paint, Utility, Apply Varnishes, Stains, Glues

Pigments $49.23

-Jacquard Pearl EX Powder Pigments (32-Color Set)

Tape (for cheapest leg mold) $16.89

-Intertape Polymer Group 5038-3 PK Fix-It DUCTape

Respirator Kit $39.90

-Sundstrom H05-6921M Dust Mold and Particulate Respirator Kit with SR 90-3 M/L Silicone Half Mask, P100/HE Particulate Filter and Prefilters

Mold Release (2) $13.28 , $13.20

-Smooth-On Universal Mold Release 14 fl. Oz, & Mann Release Technologies Ease Release 200 14 fl. oz.

Fin $59.95

-Fin Fun Mermaid Monofin Pro - Solid Black

More Materials you should account for if you are airbrushing, also Misc items I didn't put a price on.

Plastic Containers
    Plastic Gloves
    Naphtha
    Alcohol - (Good Cleaner Substance)
    Air Brush Gun (Small and large)
    Mixing Sticks from Home Depot (Free)

TOTAL - $894.82 - give or take a lot.

My first tail ran me over $3,000

Faerie Wing Supplies

-Cellophane Wrap $19.49
    - Iridescent Wrap - Assorted Colors - 6 Pack - Six Rolls of 30" X 5'
    Galvanized Wire $13.06
    Fi-Shock 350-Feet, 17 Gauge Spool Galvanized Steel Wire, WC-350

Love Mermaid Shae
    Last edited by MermaidShae; 04-04-2017 at 06:01 PM.