Thread: Are there contest conventions or title-holders?

Senior Member Pod of Cali

Are there contest conventions or title-holders?

I've been participating with my husband in the pup play and pony scene for a few years. For a while, I assumed that leather contests and titles were just pageants. Popularity and beauty contests. They were always presented with such honorifics as though they were lifetime achievement awards, but I just assumed that was part of a fantasy.

Recently, though, I've started to understand the point. These communities -- especially the gay leather scene -- were isolated communities that established their own cultures back in the 60's and 70's and 80's, and titles exist as a way for the communities to elevate role models in order to deliberately promote certain values and establish what constitutes upstanding behavior. These people also took on responsibilities to build institutions like clubs and gathering places.

As I thought about this it occurred to me that merfolk could use more leaders. Not to ruffle any scales, but mers can be kind of dramatic. Many are young and prone to overreaction. People get into feuds and form a lot of tribes, and while we have a few popular figures we could probably benefit from having more mentors.

Usually, title-holders seem to be associated with annual conventions at which the next year's winner is selected. Are there any conventions that elect title-holders like this?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    NC Mer-Mania, at its core, is a gathering of friends and thus is royalty-free by design.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Hi there, it sounds like the Miss Mermaid competitions/pageants fit your description. The event started in Germany a couple of years ago when pageant director William Balser partnered up with Kirsten of Magictails to creat the first Mermaid Beauty Pageant. I was Miss Mermaid USA at 2016's event in October for 2 weeks at Egypt's Red Sea. There were almost 30 mermaids in total, half there for Miss Mermaid Germany and the other half international contestants. Also some girls came from the "mermaid world" while some came from the pageant/modeling side. For several it was their first time in a real coral reef.

Beauty Pageants get sort of a bad wrap for the "judging of beauty" part but as my first pageant, I found it really awesome. Models interview/complete for contracts and jobs all the time so why not make it into a 2 week all expense paid vacation that comes with fun awards and perks. The grand prize is a year long paid modeling contract and another trip to Egypt for 2.

Miss Mermaid was especially unique in that it required a lot of mermaid specific skills and physical abilities underwater. We were judged out of 100 points on:
    1) Creativity- we designed our own tops, accessories, makeup and hair to go with our sponsored Magictails and did a photoshoot all glammed up. Miss Mermaid France won this sash for "Best Creative"
    2) Long Distance Swim- actual freediving would have too many risks so this is a competition for most horizontal distance in a pool in one breath. Miss Mermaid Switzerland managed 2 laps in the 30 m pool to earn the "Best in Water" sash.
    3) Underwater Posing- one breath in the coral reef to do a variety of poses for the underwater judges. This was the category I won the Sash for "Most Photogenic Underwater!"

And there are more judging categories for the traditional pageant part, which involved runway walk/presentation in national costume, evening gown and swimsuit. Not sure how these parts are judged but it was a blast to do!

The whole event was very well organized and everyone was soooo nice. There were also 100 "behavior points" given to everyone and you could lose 10 points here/there for being late or other behavior related stuff. There was no girly drama at all. Only one issue with a mermaid and her boyfriend/manager (usually boyfriends/friends/family/managers don't attend, just every girl for herself). But everyone was super on it and professional and most importantly, having fun! All the girls were super supportive of eachother, helping w hair and makeup or wardrobe choices. Like having 30 mermaid sisters!

It was a super special once in a lifetime experience! I even came home with the 2nd runner up sash. And yes I'd say beauty queens have sort of a public service side to what we do. I've been making appearances at ocean conservation events with my sash and crown. I'm organizing mermaid meetups and beach cleanups. Having the titles does add an official community vibe to things, plus it really looks good on a resume.

They're taking applications for Miss Mermaid International 2017 at www.missmermaid.de. A few countries have their own national pageant too. I'm helping to organize the first US pageant so if any US mermaids are interested PM me for an application!
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    previous mermaid cons were hosted by people who ran beauty pageants so they put that into the cons. There have been a few titles such as "Miss International mermaid" "Merking" etc but no one really thinks much of them TBH outside of cons.

At mermania we do give thank you awards to volunteers, but it's sort of a different vibe!

I think you may be thinking that the community is like a kingdom where we have one person ruling over us all? We aren't, we're a community of people and the better example of titles that would be respected by the community would be titles that similar to those given at cosplay contests: best use of design, newb champion, beginner winner, etc. Who don't really care about who's "king" or "queen" of beauty of the self proclaimed queen or king of the community. We do however care about craftmanship in regards to the community like who before a panel of judges presents the item that holds up to being chucked into a blender or something. (tbh I do think an iron mer accessory challenge would be the funnest thing ever. Make a top out of a 1 tiny sea shell, some glitter, and popsicle sticks or something and see who comes out a survivor lol)