Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Momo's second partial silicone tail

Momo's second partial silicone tail

Hi all! I made my first partial tail about a year ago, sadly I hit second puberty and gained a few inches in my hips, making pulling my tail up past my butt impossible . So my tail has been sitting around collecting dust, but I still have the urge to swim! So I've decided to make a second tail!

The tail is a rehashing of a design I drew up back in high school (so like 5 years back) and I found it over spring break while looking through my old sketch books. Looking at the old design it seems I was going with a flower look, maybe an orchid of some sort.
    Below is the original sketch

and the new sketch :

Dots have been changed to stripes, side fins have been added and overall I think I may have strayed a bit from the flower theme because not it looks a bit predatory to me lol.

Anyways,the body of the tail will have scuba knit base covered in silicone while the fluke will be 100% silicone. I actually made a mini fluke of the design I WAS going to make before deciding that I didn't want such a toned down tail.

(You may notice the heart motif, I'm trying to stick with hearts "hidden" in my tails since my first one had them in the fluke as well)

I've already bought the scuba knit for it and now all I have to do is buy the silicone and new pigments which I'll be buying in bulk.

Just like last time I'll be working on the tail as I get extra funds to buy materials. As of now I have some savings set up for just tail materials but if you want to support my new tail endeavors have a look at my shop thread/ shop page and buy some mer goodies! If you don't see something you want PM my facebook page for custom orders!

Shop thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...nd-accessories
    Shop link: http://forbiddenkingdom.storenvy.com/
    Shop facebook: https://facebook.com/forbiddenkingdomshop

I will be making the fluke first so the first updates will be sculpting the fluke and adhering it to the monofin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Yay I cant wait! I loved watching your progress last time!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

I've been wondering if scuba knit is enough to line a caulking silicone tail. I'm interested to see how you go.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

ooooooh!!! YAY!! Can't wait to see this new tail!!! I think it is going to be beautiful!!!!

Headed to the art store yesterday to buy pigments, sadly the art majors cleaned them out. The other store i buy from us sadly down in the valley, thankfully i can call in an order so I'm going to have then ship it to my house in the valley and gave it waiting on my when i get home.

Also going to be buying the silicone so everything is waiting for more at home by time finals are over

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Your first tail was absolutely gorgeous - I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Oh yay! Glad to see this is happening!

Thanks everyone! I don't have any new updates to share on the tail, I have made some new accessories and tops though which I'll share soon once I get on my phone, They didn't list any colors besides gold online so I'll have to go into the store to pick up the colors I need. I am hoping I'll be able to find a deep green, I know they have spring green which I will also need but I want a dark green for shading and a maroonish pink which I don't recall seeing them stocking but we'll find out I guess.

I also will be picking up silicone later, I am going to be attempting a new scaling method so that I not only bring down the amount of tubes of silicone I need but I will need a thinner coat of it, making it so that stretch of the scuba knit is not lost.

Also I will be making my first gig debut! I'll be at the 4th of july celebration with Mermaid Whims! Hopefully I'll get my new tail done in time, but if not I'll be wearing my old one. (which I might be taking apart from the waist down to the upper thigh to make room for my butt and so I can pull it up all the way again and not flash people haha)

Will update with pigments if I find them (fingers crossed) and with my tests of scaling methods that I like and glitter that I like.

First half of all fins are done. I'm a bit sad because it doesn't look like a flower at all, i should have gone with a pink rather than red russet for the strips because whike the red russet looked maroonish pink in the jar it looks copper on the tail and i wanted a more fantasy looking tail than a realistic fish coloring maybe a nice helping of glitter will make it look fantasy-ish again

Glitter should definitely help make it more fantasy-ish. But for what it's worth, I love the way it's looking!

Makes me think of a rainforest mermaid.

I love the look of this tail so far too!! The colors are so much fun! I could see a mermaid who lives in, maybe a river, full of water lillies!!!

I forgot to add the green veining so i went ahead and did that but i still don't like it it looks so "blah" to me and too natural (who would have thought i would dislike a natural looking tail so much). So I've been thinking about ways to make it look like i want. ( i was thinking changing the stripes to gold)

Though i am second guessing changing the color since a few people can see it as a mermaid from tropical areas or from areas with a lot of greenery and i was going for a "garden mermaid" or "mermaid that lives among flowers and plants" look. Uuggh it's bjust so hard ti decide what to do! Also i made a top and headress to go with my new tail ( whatever i decide to do with it anyways)

IiI know colors look a little different in photos, and I'm right there with you as far as getting frustrated when it doesn't work the way I want, but- I scrolled to look at your drawing to compare, and I think it looks really great. The red does look warmer than the drawing but at least in photos not at all copper, and looks great with the headpiece, the colors there look great together. I totally get it, but at the same time- I think it looks wonderful especially with the accessories
    p.s. Totally reads 'garden', and I guess I think of rain forest and garden colors very similarly- it's all about how you accessorize and where you photograph or what you set up. Really!!
    Last edited by merwandering; 05-15-2017 at 06:43 PM.

I think it loos beautiful and IMMEDIATELY reminded me of a flower. Perhaps if you are unhappy with it you could add some gold accents or lighter pink accents next to the rose-color instead of changing it entirely?

You could maybe dust some gold and pink glitter over the veins to really make them pop?

If you're really not sure you like it, put it out of sight for a couple of days then have a fresh look at it. I find that usually works for me.

I think it looks gorgeous as is, so I'm sure it'll be stunning no matter what you do with it.

I am absolutely in LOVE wth your concept oh my gosh!!!! And those hair pieces and tops!!! Ahhh! Do you commission accessories? Because these are just so beautiful!

User previously known as "MermaidBonny".

I also find you definitely hit the garden mermaid look

Oh! I saw the link now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaylee Moon View Post
    Oh! I saw the link now!

Sorry! The shop is https://forbiddenkingdom.storenvy.com

Also i let it sit for a few days (more like a week almost) amd came back to it and added the clear and glitter coat (with a ton of glitter in it) and it's actually growing on me! I flipped the fluke over after the top cost dried to thicken the silicone along the bottom edges since it was pretty thin at those parts. Tomorrow I'll start on the other half of the fluke and the hip fins.

Tubes used so far: 7 (5 for all fins, 2 for top coat on all fins and thickening edges)

Cant wait to see the results!!!