Thread: How to exhale while underwater?

Question How to exhale while underwater?

Hello! I know there are threads on swimming tips, and I know there are threads on breath holding, but I have kind of a basic question about something simple that I just can't seem to figure out. When swimming underwater on my back or while doing twists/spins, I can't figure out how to breathe out my nose to keep water from getting up my nose. And I can't figure out how to exhale long enough for the entire duration of the spin or time I'm underwater on my back. Yet I see videos of other mers swimming underwater and exhaling the entire time (with the air bubbles coming out of their nose) like it's no big deal.

Is there a trick to this? How exactly are you supposed to go about exhaling underwater in order to keep the water out of your nose? I understand I may need to work up to this, but how do I do that exactly?

Any help is appreciated.

Blowing air out of your nose is a little like blowing your nose with less force. You know how when you blow your nose, you exhale all of your air out of your nose to clear it? Same concept, but slower.

It might take a little time getting used to it, but anything can improve with practice.

If anything, you can also buy some sinus savers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Or you can be like me and just not and create a small Niagara Falls out of your face when you surface.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    This makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only who does it this way too.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Or you can be like me and just not and create a small Niagara Falls out of your face when you surface.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Pod of The South thatotakugalaxy's Avatar
    Add thatotakugalaxy on Facebook
    Well, Try blowing a large amount of air, you feel the movement in your chest and stomach, now try blowing the Same amount just slower, just breath like you normally would, but dont inhale the water xD its not a perfect explanation, but iz best i can try to say

St Augustine FL mermaid! I'm a bit crazy, but I swear I can be fun to be around

Quote Originally Posted by thatotakugalaxy View Post
    Well, Try blowing a large amount of air, you feel the movement in your chest and stomach, now try blowing the Same amount just slower, just breath like you normally would, but dont inhale the water xD its not a perfect explanation, but iz best i can try to say

Thank you for trying to explain! I'm one of those people who needs step-by-step instructions, like those "how to...for dummies" manuals.
    These shallow waters never met what I needed. I'm letting go, a deeper dive.
    Eternal silence of the sea, I'm breathing, alive. Faded - Alan Walker

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I lift my soft pallet the way you would when singing a high note. then I create a seal with my tongue, and as I go to do the back flip, I exhale just a little. Most of the time this keeps it from going up my nose.

But I also use a thin nearly invisible nose plug that barely shows up! Check out my videos showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=X9c6VHf9dX0

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=DuwxkQWWvwg

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I lift my soft pallet the way you would when singing a high note. then I create a seal with my tongue, and as I go to do the back flip, I exhale just a little. Most of the time this keeps it from going up my nose.

But I also use a thin nearly invisible nose plug that barely shows up! Check out my videos showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=X9c6VHf9dX0

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=DuwxkQWWvwg
    I have read about "closing" your soft pallet, but I just don't understand it. Does placing your tongue on the roof of your mouth help keep water out of your nose?

I'm afraid the video links didn't work.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    oh shoot it sent edit links.

OK you lift your pallet as if you're yawning. put your tongue behind your teeth and then press the rest into the rood of your mouth as flat and hard as you can. It doesn't cover the whole thing but it makes a seal of pressure. similar to when you puff cheeks up with air! then as you go backwards push the leftover air in your sinuses out of your nose.

let's see if I can get those videos. first video is me performing with my nearly invisible nose plug, second video I talk about it and show the package etc

Thank you! ...Raina, is it? Thanks again. It's funny, I just happened upon the second video just the other day... somehow I found myself on your youtube channel! I was looking for mermaid swimming videos and tips, and it appears you're an expert.

Still not sure if I completely understand about closing the soft pallet. I suppose I will have to try it underwater to see if I could get it right. Do you know of any techniques for breathing out slowly on a long exhale?

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my trick for this in case anyone else happens to come here! I was taught this by my swim teacher when I was little, because I've never been able to keep water out by closing my soft palette.

If you hum while underwater, you'll exhale just enough to keep water out of your nose, but not so much that you lose air too quickly. Sort of a continuous, "mmmmmmmmmmmm" (no one can hear it underwater). Changing the volume of your humming changes how much air comes out of your nose, and you can adjust from there. I've been doing this most of my life, and I just have to remember to stop humming before surfacing so people don't look at me weird.

Thank u for posting this that helped a lot

Sent from My Shell Phone Mermaid Auquita