Thread: Hello again, MerNetwork.

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Wink Hello again, MerNetwork.

So, I'm back. I've wanted to come back to this forum for a while. The friends I've made here are amazing, and I feel like the sea is calling me back. In case you don't know or remember me, my name is James, but my friends call me Jamie. I'm 14, and I've always wanted to be a merman since I was a little boy. I've only told one person about this, but it's ok. She's told me that her husband dealt with similar insecurity about liking things people associate with girls growing up, and it's great to hear someone who relates to me, similar to what's been going on for me on this forum. I love singing, so I usually associate myself with sirens, and I also love musical theater. I swim competitively in the Winter, which is something that led me to the community last Winter. I've been really busy with schoolwork and family, so I had to take a break from the community for a couple months. My computer also broke, and I've only had this new one a couple weeks. But now that I'm back, I have a lot of great ideas for discussion topics about Merfolk.

Hope to see you swimming around the forum,
    Merman Jamie

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Hey welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much. Even if I don't think my family will understand my interests, this is truly one of the best places I've been online. Making friends here has been amazing, and I'm glad I get to meet others who are interested in the same stuff as me.

Junior Member Union of Pods of the North
    Pod of New England

Follow Cayden On Twitter
    Hey! Welcome back, I'm fairly new as well. I love this site! More fan-merfolk than actual merfolk but regardless they have the culture and spirit. The way you speak really tuggs me. Like you may actually be Merfolk. Idk. In any case you seem really nice and if you ever want to talk I'm here.

I have actually made a quiz, it's not 100% accurate but it is things any Merfolk I think would know... of course I don't meet many Merfolk and I know you're only 14 and have a lot to learn. These questions are based on my own experience.

https://www.qzzr.com/c/quiz/417788/are-you-merfolk
    ~Secrets are hidden in the turn of the tide~

Yeah, I still have a lot to learn as I'm younger than most people on this site, but it's really great. I've been teased throughout my life because of the things I'm into, like Merfolk. It's why I haven't shared this with all that many people, but who cares? I have my awesome friends on this site. Growing up with very religious people around me, it's difficult to talk about. IDK, sometimes I joke that I'm a landlocked merman or something like that.

Pod of New England

Follow Cayden On Twitter
    lOl. Well sometimes joking can be an actual subconscious meaning. Since you're still young and curious/figuring things out It might help to hear a story/experience from a Merman himself. Everyone has their own story but, here's mine. I didn't go full blown on it and stuff but it might help. https://soundcloud.com/cayden-sob/i-am-merfolk In the end you know what you are.

Thanks. I can't talk to my family, though. Even though I want to do this with all my heart, they would be shocked/horrified. I made a thread on my other computer. I'm not sure if I still have it, but it explained my situation. It was titled Need Help Talking to Family, but I'm not sure if it's still here. It hasn't shown up when I looked for it.

Sorry, I found the thread. It better explains my life, and my difficulty with my situation.
    If you'd like to read it, please check it out. Getting advice from others so I can continue to live my life with my merfolk enthusiasm is what I came to the forum for. The support has been overwhelming so far, and it gets easier day by day.

Here is the thread:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...king-to-family

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Hi Jamie. Welcome back. As one merman to another, please don't be discouraged by what your family may or may not think of your interest in our world. They don't need to know EVERY detail. Seek out like minded people that love and embrace your creativity. Not everyone will and that's okay. Part of being a merman isn't just about being a guy in a tail. It's embracing diversity, showing strength when needed and being proud of who you are. If it's important enough to you, you can make most things come to fruition in life. In the meantime, you have your MerFamily here. We may occasionally squabble with each other, not understand each other's view points or even be envious of other's accomplishments but we all share a common bond from all over the world and I think we do really try to support each other when afforded the chance. You'll see. Come and grow with us. There are tons of mers and info on here to help you even if your family can't. You really never know what things may change for you in the future!
    So, swim strong little brother!!!!

Pod of New England

Follow Cayden On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Hi Jamie. Welcome back. As one merman to another, please don't be discouraged by what your family may or may not think of your interest in our world. They don't need to know EVERY detail. Seek out like minded people that love and embrace your creativity. Not everyone will and that's okay. Part of being a merman isn't just about being a guy in a tail. It's embracing diversity, showing strength when needed and being proud of who you are. If it's important enough to you, you can make most things come to fruition in life. In the meantime, you have your MerFamily here. We may occasionally squabble with each other, not understand each other's view points or even be envious of other's accomplishments but we all share a common bond from all over the world and I think we do really try to support each other when afforded the chance. You'll see. Come and grow with us. There are tons of mers and info on here to help you even if your family can't. You really never know what things may change for you in the future!
    So, swim strong little brother!!!!
    I totally agree! In this new world that has and is continuing to be created (thanks to the internet connecting us all) there's a lot of people who really can't understand or just don't want to because they're content in what they understand. Merfolk and Fan-Merfolk alike have grown rather fond of each other in many ways and ultimately learn from each other, that also applies to otherkin in general. Your family doesn't have to understand or know your meaning... they just have to know you love swimming and you're content doing it. Point blank.

Thanks everyone, that really means a lot. I'm so happy to have the support of my fellow mers. My family all know I love to swim, and they knew that I loved mermaids when I was younger. I'm not going to go tell them just yet, but in time I will. It's just great to know that there are people out there like me.