Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer mermaid hair. Wigs, weaves and extentions

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar

Longer mermaid hair. Wigs, weaves and extentions

one of the things that has always attracted me to mermaid since i was a little guppy has always been their long ethereal flowing hair.
    as a boy of African american heritage I've been told that i have good hair but as thick, curly and wavy as it may be
    I've been growing it out for almost four years and it's only just starting to rest on my shoulders.

I've considered getting clip in or glue in extensions but there are none that match my hair type or texture.
    now i'm thinking about either getting a really good weave or an extremely good wig and gluing it to a swim-cap

what do you think?
    has anyone had the same thoughts
    any one with hair growth problems
    of any suggestions.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

You could always go with a wig. They're less permanent so you could mess around with them more.
    If you WANT long hair constantly, go for a weave! I've never installed one but I know they're really long lasting.
    Extensions are usually just for a few sections, nothing too crazy.
    If you wanna switch out your style a lot, go for a wig
    If you want something more permanent for over a couple weeks, go for a weave
    If you want just a small change, go for extensions

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Before you spend too much time & money, fair warning: long hair does NOT behave itself underwater! Before I cut mine it was so long I could sit on it, and I had to keep it tied back underwater or it would wrap around my shoulders and arms when I swam. It also swirls around your head when you change directions or stop suddenly and then you surface looking like the spawn of Wolfman and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I never could figure out how they make it look so pretty and flowing in movies... CGI?
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

I have really short hair and i have always had problems growing it so i use extensions. Best place to buy them is Ebay, the prices are much lower and its easier to find super long ones (mine are 22 inches) You can see pictures of me wearing them in my modeling album.

Yea Siren could be right. Long hair is a pain. I also don't know if they sell conditioner
    for weaves. I suppose if they're made from real hair. They certainly sell wig conditioner
    for synthetic fibers. Conditioning the hair piece will probably prevent a lot of tangles or
    grabs onto you while underwater, but it'll still all get in your face xD

@Siren - they could be using currents to keep it out of their faces? Maybe they just don't
    move backwards xD That's when all the trouble seems to start. It also could be CGI sometimes
    I wouldn't doubt it. Hollywood and their obsessive CGI
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

DO NOT GLUE IT TO A SWIM CAP! I wear wigs underwater for many jobs and as long as you get a wig with adjusters inside, set them to their tightest setting and be sure to wear a wig cap. I would suggest getting one online 'used before you spend big money to see how you like it, I got my first wig from cosplay.com for $25 it goes past my boobs is a lovely cut and was never worn, had the tags and everything. Doesn't work so well underwater because it's a slight weave and frankly if your getting a wig the straighter the better because otherwise you will nearly never be able to brush it into a anything other then a giant hair ball after a swim.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

A good way to untangle wigs is actually to use loreal kid's no-tangle spray. I don't know
    if it's "safe" but I used it on a synthetic pony tail and a very messy wig and I was able to
    tame both of them very well. They've been the same afterwards, too. I don't see any
    after-effects.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I might have to try that stuff for my wig. It's a freaking nightmare in the wind...
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I might have to try it though for now it's very soothing to just watch a movie and work on detangling a wig.

Baha well it still takes a lot of work to untangle xD it just helps
    a whole lot. Especially with the pony-tail, which was dyed a different color, so it
    got all crispy and weird. I dunno if I dyed it wrong or something because that thing's
    texture is disgusting xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Ya know calypso, I think that your hair type will actually be a plus even when its long.

The thicker the hair, the more resistant to movement it is, so your hair wont flow around your face and arms and get all up in your business the way some one with finer straighter hair does.
    It will maintain a general shape under water that will reflect the style you started with (when you arent moving around any way), especially if your hair is particularly curly/kinky. It snaps back to form so much easier than, say, my loose, large corkscrew curls do.
    my hair just lays flat and dull when I come out of the water, and gets ALL up in my business when I'm swimming and looses its form completely.

Things I have found that WORK for healthifying hair:

I've found that oiling my hair before I swim helps lessen the damage considerably from a chlorinated pool as well as makes it easier to deal with tangle wise.
    I use a pure vitamin E and almond oil, just a little, and work it through my hair starting at the tips to seal the ends as best as possible.
    I also use a leave in conditioner ALL the time, after swimming, showering, or if my hair is feeling particularly dry or depleted.
    The conditioner I use is called 'Split remedy' by tresame. It has done WONDERS for my split ends from swimming so much and occasionally using a hair straightener.
    I put in three pumps before I swim, then come home and rinse/shampoo to get the chlorine out, and use three more pumps focusing on the ends and working my way to the scalp.
    The difference since I started using it is just phenomenal.

A lot of people don't hydrate their hair sufficiently and end up with a lot of breakage and split ends.
    Avoid coloring your hair if you can while you are growing it out, and hydrate your hair and your body!
    Water is so good for you! We are made of up the ocean and star stuff, so can you imagine a stagnant pool of water that you are not refreshing on a regular basis? It grows bacteria and other bad things in it, but refreshing your water supply will keep you clean and disease free ^.^
    I also take a supplement of biotin 5000mg daily.
    Taking in a healthy to heavy amount of protein can help feed your body to produce more, healthier hair at a slightly faster rate (not to mention its great for your nails too)
    Use sulfate free shampoos, sulfate can strip your hair of needed moisture and pull color out very quickly!
    The more moisture your hair can retain the better color stays in and the less split ends you have.

I had suuuuuuper short.. like.. #2 razor short hair for 5 years or more that I changed the color of all the time and I finally did one last shave to get rid of the colored ends so I could start with virgin hair and started growing it out last year.
    I've been doing as much as I can to keep my hair healthy and to encourage growth as quickly as possible and I get people telling me all the time how jelly they are of my hair health and volume.
    I always attribute a portion of it to my genetics but I am 100% positive that my hair regimen helps considerably.

Being aware of your diet and maintaining healthy vitamin intake as well as general body health will do wonders for your hair, nails, and skin.

Watch your nails, you can look at your nails in the right light and see dips and raises in the nail. That indicates the health that your body was in at that time.
    I can actually trace unhealthy weight loss and healthy weight GAIN from the dips and raises in my nails.

I would avoid doing a weave, it does some serious damage to your scalp if done incorrectly, and it destroys the hair that is being weaved so tightly at the base.
    Go with a wig if you can until your hair gets to the length you are wanting to avoid extra hair damage.

Dont straighten your hair!!! heat damage heat damage heat damage. Nothing can stop it. Nothing. Its going to occur if you use high heat.
    If you MUST straighten then use a high quality straightener like a CHI and pass through the hair as LITTLE as possible using a conditioner sealant, and after you wash your hair and lose the straightness use a BUTT LOAD of leave in conditioner to sort of apologize to your hair for burning it, and don't wash it again for at least 24/48 hours to let it soak in the moisture before you pull it back out with hard water and shampoos.

Any way, just some ideas and some experience knowledge, I hope its helpful!

That is a lot of great advice Mermaasai I'll have to start using some of if for making my hair grow longer once I have the extra cash

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    What hair type do you have, Mermaasai? Nice advice, btw.

When I was young my hair was thin and fine but as I've gotten older it has become thicker and heavier. I have large ringlets of curls and it gets pretty messy if I don't keep it conditioned.
    I also found that when I gained some healthy weight my hair got into better shape.
    I didn't weigh more that 98lbs until last year. My body decided to get curvier and iputon 20ish lbs of weight.
    Im so pleased with it!
    Last edited by Mermaasai; 03-27-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    My bf has hair like this. I really think you have the hard part out of the way. It took him almost 4 years for it to grow shoulder length, then the following year it just took off another 5 inches. It was gorgeous. I wanted to kill him when he chopped it all off T-T Still do

I am a professional hair stylist. My specialty is extensions, wiggery, weaves, and hair transplants. Extentiins are a great option for many reasons First you have a numbr of options as to texture length and the quality more expensive hair doesnt look any better under water then the least expensive hair. I have been doing this stuff for over a decade. A weave is ok if you need it for only a couple weeks they need to be tightened after 2 and a half weeks and that can be a bit of a pain for upkeep. There are many ways of doing extensions. If you want great quality and something that will last and be easier for you to handle on a daily basis keratin glued or loop extensions are the way to go. They can be itchy for the first few days butfine after that. You need refills every 6-8 weeks but if you pick at them or dont care for them properly you need refills more often due to thinning. I have had everything from a full head of extensions that took my hair from a posh spice look to as long as my waist, to extensions that are thin and are meant to make your hair fuller on my head and everything in between. Usually extensions are meant to add length. Sinc eyou are looking for length I would suggest them but most likely the clip in option.

I would only concider a weave in your case if you ever had cornrows. Weaves in my experience are the most torturous itchy thing you can ever do to your head. People that grew up with cornrows seem to be the only ones immune to it. Wigs are a goodd option if you arent going to be needing a constant hair length. If you want it for on a nearly daily basis you cant take that option. Wig care is a delicate process. You must comb them with a loop brush after every use. Keep wig conditioner on them neayonstantly to keep the set style and keep them from tangling. Wigs also need a professional wiggerist to give them detailed care once a month and its hard to find a wiggerist with reasonable rates that knows what they are doing. I have a huge collection of wigs, etensions, weaves, and pieces.I spend 10 hours a month on up keep and event the ones that havent been used need monthly care.

Clip i nextensions would give you the look, flexability, and result you want. Cheapier hair looks great under water. If you find a good wig and extension supply you can get the clips and sew them in your self dirt cheap. Keratin glue is $500 and up for that so its pretty pricey.

As far as products. The best conditionerleave in or rinse away is Feria intensive care. It comes free with a Feria box of color but I reccomend going to a Sally's beauty supply where you can get 7.5oz for about $7..50. All of those other products mentioned are pretty much a waste of money. There arent any vitamens treatmentss with or without sulfates that can help the rate of hair growth or strength. If there was Rogaine and hair transplants (which i have assisted with in surgery) woupd not exist.From the moment your hairs formed it is dead. The only thing you can do is seal in what was laready there or add moisture or protein to fill holes. Using chemicals caan destroy your hair so then it needs protein. If you are exposing your hair to the elementshat is when you need moisture. Many prople switch those and moisturize when they need protein. Curly haired people always seem to switch them. They dont think "my hairpuffs when it rains so moisture is bad." Feria's conditioner has an equal balance of protein and moisture just enough to be a perfect all around treatment that is universal for anyoneto use. Anyone not planning on giving birth in a year should never do this but anyone (YES WOMEN AS WELL!) can use Rogaine to get hair growing but wear gloves when applying it because it WILL cause any skin touching it WILL grow superflous hair.

To simplify go with clip in extensions! Use Feria conditioner to detangle and absolutely anytime you can on ur hair too. Need anymore advice let me know I am an encylopedia of knowledge on hair enhancement.

if any of that doesnt make sence sorry i am really tired

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaasai View Post
    Ya know calypso, I think that your hair type will actually be a plus even when its long.

The thicker the hair, the more resistant to movement it is, so your hair wont flow around your face and arms and get all up in your business the way some one with finer straighter hair does.
    It will maintain a general shape under water that will reflect the style you started with (when you arent moving around any way), especially if your hair is particularly curly/kinky. It snaps back to form so much easier than, say, my loose, large corkscrew curls do.
    my hair just lays flat and dull when I come out of the water, and gets ALL up in my business when I'm swimming and looses its form completely.

Things I have found that WORK for healthifying hair:

I've found that oiling my hair before I swim helps lessen the damage considerably from a chlorinated pool as well as makes it easier to deal with tangle wise.
    I use a pure vitamin E and almond oil, just a little, and work it through my hair starting at the tips to seal the ends as best as possible.
    I also use a leave in conditioner ALL the time, after swimming, showering, or if my hair is feeling particularly dry or depleted.
    The conditioner I use is called 'Split remedy' by tresame. It has done WONDERS for my split ends from swimming so much and occasionally using a hair straightener.
    I put in three pumps before I swim, then come home and rinse/shampoo to get the chlorine out, and use three more pumps focusing on the ends and working my way to the scalp.
    The difference since I started using it is just phenomenal.

A lot of people don't hydrate their hair sufficiently and end up with a lot of breakage and split ends.
    Avoid coloring your hair if you can while you are growing it out, and hydrate your hair and your body!
    Water is so good for you! We are made of up the ocean and star stuff, so can you imagine a stagnant pool of water that you are not refreshing on a regular basis? It grows bacteria and other bad things in it, but refreshing your water supply will keep you clean and disease free ^.^
    I also take a supplement of biotin 5000mg daily.
    Taking in a healthy to heavy amount of protein can help feed your body to produce more, healthier hair at a slightly faster rate (not to mention its great for your nails too)
    Use sulfate free shampoos, sulfate can strip your hair of needed moisture and pull color out very quickly!
    The more moisture your hair can retain the better color stays in and the less split ends you have.

I had suuuuuuper short.. like.. #2 razor short hair for 5 years or more that I changed the color of all the time and I finally did one last shave to get rid of the colored ends so I could start with virgin hair and started growing it out last year.
    I've been doing as much as I can to keep my hair healthy and to encourage growth as quickly as possible and I get people telling me all the time how jelly they are of my hair health and volume.
    I always attribute a portion of it to my genetics but I am 100% positive that my hair regimen helps considerably.

Being aware of your diet and maintaining healthy vitamin intake as well as general body health will do wonders for your hair, nails, and skin.

Watch your nails, you can look at your nails in the right light and see dips and raises in the nail. That indicates the health that your body was in at that time.
    I can actually trace unhealthy weight loss and healthy weight GAIN from the dips and raises in my nails.

I would avoid doing a weave, it does some serious damage to your scalp if done incorrectly, and it destroys the hair that is being weaved so tightly at the base.
    Go with a wig if you can until your hair gets to the length you are wanting to avoid extra hair damage.

Dont straighten your hair!!! heat damage heat damage heat damage. Nothing can stop it. Nothing. Its going to occur if you use high heat.
    If you MUST straighten then use a high quality straightener like a CHI and pass through the hair as LITTLE as possible using a conditioner sealant, and after you wash your hair and lose the straightness use a BUTT LOAD of leave in conditioner to sort of apologize to your hair for burning it, and don't wash it again for at least 24/48 hours to let it soak in the moisture before you pull it back out with hard water and shampoos.

Any way, just some ideas and some experience knowledge, I hope its helpful!
    I'll try doing all that as soon as i can.
    you knopw this may sound strange for a mermaid to say but i hardly drink any water at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    if any of that doesnt make sence sorry i am really tired

all your advice was perfectly understanable girl and thanks you so much for it

thanks my ms medication gets me punchy so my brain goes at a million miles an hour and i have to get it out but sometimes i cant tell if others would understand my point.