Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Carolinas?

Quote Originally Posted by ivoryleopard View Post
    Okay I found a list of pools in the triangle with either a heated bubble or indoor and the numbers for them. The ones that look promising for January are Morrisville Aquatic Center, Buffaloe Road Aquatic Center (Raleigh), Millbrook Exchange Center (Raleigh) and Pullen Park (Raleigh). I have not research the ones in Cary but there is the Triangle Aquatic Center. http://www.triangleaquatics.org/

I am going to ask them about us being non members and if we can mermaid/monofin in the pool especially if there's going to be a group of us doing it.

I've noticed that these pools are no where near each other and all charge different rates for residents and non residents. For the most part it seems like $10 and under and at the most, 20-30 min drive (with traffic). How do you all feel about that?
    None of those places are that far from where I am going to be living. And I honestly don't mind about the 20-30 minute drive either. Hopefully some of the center's will let a group of us wear our tails/monofins in their pools.

Okay Called these places and tried to not sound crazy when I asked them. Seriously, I think the aquatic centers in our area thought I was prank calling!

I don't have a clear answer from these places on what we can do so it anyone else wants to try calling, please do so. Some did mention that we can rent a couple of lanes.

Morrisville Aquatic Center
    pool goes up to 5 feet and I am waiting on a call back. I asked a lifeguard on duty if it's okay when I was there this summer but that was for just one person and it would be different for 5 or more people.

Buffaloe Road Aquatic Center
    Closed on mondays so I did not get to talk to anyone. It has neat features like a lazy river and waterslides but their pool section does not look very deep. Kinda looks like it's meant for little kids. It just opened this past fall. http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/goask...lery/11556912/

Millbrook Exchange Pool
    5 1/2 deep. Suppose to get a call back. The lady I spoke to said if we needed to that we could rent a couple of lanes depending on what time and day we are planning on being there.

Pullen Park Aquatic Center
    14 feet deep! Yeah! Did not get an answer since the guy I talked to did not know how to answer it. I left a message with their manager. Hopefully we will get a call back.

Triangle Aquatic Center
    The only other pool in the Triangle area that has a DEEP section from what I have heard. Left a message.

HOPEFULLY I will get a call back if they don't think it's a joke. I would advise that if anyone else has time to please give these places or others that they know of in the area a call. Just so we can get a quicker response back.

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    I'm in downtown. Alki isn't terribly far, about a 30 minute bike.

Super excited for this!
    and downtown to alki and vice versa is not very far by water taxi either. I heard the fish and chips place by the watertaxi dock is now closed That was one of the first places I ate at in Seattle.

Depending on my energy, I may come! I live in Durham.

Good news! So far I have a call back from Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary and they said YES WE CAN! Hurray! The day pass is $7 dollars but we could also rent a couple of lanes either in the rec pool (up to 7 feet) or the competition pool (9 -11 feet). The prices renting lanes and our total group day pass (5-6 mers) are comparable to each other.

I also got a call back from Millbrook Exchange today! They are another possibility for us. The guy I spoke to is very nice and seemed interested in having us use their pool.

Just out of curiosity, how many mers do we have interested in doing a meet up in NC and when in January are we planning on meeting?

Sounds awesome. I say go with a deeper pool if we have the choice.

Well, I'm raring to come. I'd be available the first two weekends of January. I assume we're planning on a weekend/ Saturday or Sunday meeting?

Okay looks like it might be Triangle Aquatic Center since it's the deeper of the two that called back. Haven't heard back from Pullen Park which has the deepest pool (14 ') in the area. TAC did say that they are going to be having swim meets on the middle weekend of January (the 12 and the 19th). Other than they they are not crowded.

My schedule is pretty free as far as I know for now. I'm fine with all day Saturday but only Sunday afternoons if we are planning on meeting on the weekends.

Would Saturday the 5th be too early in the month for people? Since the Aquatic Center is having a meet on the 12th. It looks like the pool has open swim from 10:30 to 6 in the competition pool, and 1:30 to 6 in the instructional pool. (I'm not totally clear on the diff between them is) What times are best for people?

Would Saturday the 5th be too early in the month for people? Since the Aquatic Center is having a meet on the 12th. It looks like the pool has open swim from 10:30 to 6 in the competition pool, and 1:30 to 6 in the instructional pool. (I'm not totally clear on the diff between them is) What times are best for people?
    From what they told me, the instruction pool is a shallower one (4 or 5 feet) and the competition pool is the one that goes to 9 or 11 feet deep. The Rec pool is somewhere between the sizes.

I should be free to meet then. We should get a tail count on who's going soonish. I know everyone is super busy this time of year. Is there another way that ya'll want to be in contact with each other, like on facebook or by email?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    There's also the Greensboro Aquatic Center, which allows the use of monofins in some of their pools (not the deep diving pool, though). I somehow failed to tell them the monofin was attached to a tail, though.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

That sounds great, though I don't think I can get all the way to Greensboro. it's already a half-hour drive to Cary.

Personally, I don't have Facebook, though I do have email. I dunno if this pod has a Facebook page like the other Pods do.

That sounds great, though I don't think I can get all the way to Greensboro. it's already a half-hour drive to Cary.

Personally, I don't have Facebook, though I do have email. I dunno if this pod has a Facebook page like the other Pods do.
    Exdraghunt, where are you staying in the Triangle Area? I don't think this pod does? I haven't looked to see if we do or not. Is there away to know when people reply back on threads here without constantly checking and remembering the threads you commented on?

The Greensboro Aquatic center sounds cool but I did get the thumbs up from the guys at Triangle Aquatic Center. The person I talked to seems interested and curious about us.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Alas, I'm going to be land-locked for several weeks. My "birthday tattoo" is a sleeve this year. I go back on the 27th for the second session.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

I'm still up for going I should be still busy unpacking but apart from that my schedule is pretty free as far as I know.

I'm staying in Rougemont. Greenesboro isn't that much further than Cary, but I'm dependent on a ride from someone else, so closer is better.

I dunno if you can follow a thread. I just keep an eye on threads I know I've posted in. :B

So what time are people thinking for Saturday?

I dunno if you can follow a thread. I just keep an eye on threads I know I've posted in. :B

So what time are people thinking for Saturday?
    I'm trying to remember what threads I posted on. I usually end up having to search for my screen name to pull up the threads.

Saturday Jan 5th is fine with me. It'll give me time to finish up my new fabric tail. Daniel (husband) and I have a concert to go to Sat evening. So I'd say anywhere from mid morning to afternoonish? We could also go to lunch if you guys and gals are interested.

Here's a link to the Triangle Aquatic Center's schedule for this week: http://triangleaquatics.org/Calendar/WeeklyCalendar/

Sea Pearl, how is the moving in going?

I just don't post that often :B

Well, free swim starts in the competition pool at 10; so then until 1 or 2? We could always catch lunch at the mall, since it's right next door to the pool.

Also, good lord the pool's scheduale is confusing :U If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me off.

I just don't post that often :B

Well, free swim starts in the competition pool at 10; so then until 1 or 2? We could always catch lunch at the mall, since it's right next door to the pool.

Also, good lord the pool's scheduale is confusing :U If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me off.
    That sounds about right. The schedule confused me as well.

10-2ish sounds good to me!