Thread: List of Aquaria around the World

List of Aquaria around the World

[As of 2012]

Thought it would be cool if people talked about their experiences with aquariums around the world.

There is also another thread specifically for aquariums in the USA:http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...aria-in-the-US.
    And one for Australia: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...a-in-Australia

Heard of any cool projects these places are doing? Recommendations/Ratings? First-hand experiences? Jobs even, maybe? Merring opportunities?
    How many have you been to?

Took this from the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aquaria

[Africa]

Egypt
    Morocco
    Namibia
    South Africa

[Asia]

China
    Indonesia
    India

Main article: List of aquaria in India
    Iran
    Israel
    Japan

Main article: List of aquaria in Japan
    Malaysia
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Kuwait
    Pakistan
    Philippines
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    United Arab Emirates
    Vietnam

[Europe]

Austria
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Italy
    Lithuania

Lithuanian Sea Museum, Klaipėda[10]
    Luxembourg

Wasserbillig Aquarium, Wasserbillig
    Monaco
    The Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Romania
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Turkey
    United Kingdom
    [North America]

The Bahamas
    Canada

Main article: List of aquaria in Canada
    Mexico

Sinaloa
    Veracruz
    United States

Main article: List of aquaria in the United States
    South America

Argentina
    Brazil
    Colombia
    Venezuela
    Caribbean

Bermuda
    Cuba
    French Antilles
    [Australia/Oceania]

Australia

{Main|List of aquaria in Australia}}
    Guam
    New Caledonia
    New Zealand
    Palau
    Last edited by Spindrift; 06-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I've been to the aquariums in London and Berlin. Both were fantastic!
    Instagram: @harrietmedmonds
    Twitter: @babsannee

"Immortality is simply ubiquity in time." - Herman Melville
    "Be the flame, not the moth." - Giacomo Casanova

I've been to two:

Hong Kong: Ocean Park
    This one is also part amusement park. And they have cable cars, the aquarium is so big! I feel they do a really good job on capitalizing on conservation and teaching eco-friendly habits. They have a no-straw day to reduce plastic dependency (the McDonalds all over HK also participate). They do have animal shows though, which I don't really like. They also have a lot of things going on during Xmas time that is not necessarily marine related but still fun/awesome. English and Chinese.

^ Those giant tanks that take several floors

Singapore: Underwater World
    I've been to this one several times. It's small, but really through/well researched. I like it a lot and wonder how it will fare with the addition of Marine Life Park in the same area. I came in 2nd place for a competition they hosted once, and got named a Young Marine Biologist of the Year by the International Year of the Reef for a blog I made on coral reefs. English.

The Marine Life Park in SG hasn't opened yet, but I can't wait to check it out. They were originally going to have a tank for a whale shark but because of public outcry (I sent a letter/participated!). It's currently going through a controversy for having dolphins that were captured near the Phillipines though. The petition to release 25 dolphins held in captivity exceeded the 100,000 mark in August 2011. However, it is set to debut as the largest oceanarium in the world when it opens. The 8-hectare (20-acre) park will feature exhibits containing a total of 20,000,000 imperial gallons (91,000,000 l) of water, for 700,000 aquatic residents. The park's largest lagoon contains 6,600,000 imperial gallons (30,000,000 l) of water. Isn't that awesome?!

I might try to check out the ones in Bangkok, Thailand in a few weeks.

I went to "The Interactive Aquarium" in CanCun Mexico which was small, but still interesting, however they are exactly what they say they are, an interactive aquarium, there you can touch see feel the animals there, from turtles and sharks to the dolphins. Not as much an aquarium but more of an animal interaction place.. their exibits (minus the shark and turtle and dolphin tanks) are small and simple.. then again this is mexico.

In the Dominican Republic they have "Ocean World" I went there on my honeymoon, its a very open aquarium, they are part teaching aquarium, part guest interaction, they do demonstrations with their animals instead of shows which is cool. This place was like my dream marine animal rescue center.. its beautiful and the people are so informative and friendly..

Canada has Marineland (MLC) they are more geared towards amusement than aqurium, they have one orca , 30+ beluga whales, some dolphins and a few seals. The pools are somewhat decent, they people are informative and really helpful as well. but they need to seriously expland the aquarium part a bit more,

So the day before yesterday I checked out Marine Life Park's S.E.A Aquarium in Resorts World Sentosa! It's supposed to be the largest oceanarium in the entire world. It's very impressive and they do a good job of promoting ocean conservation. My top three aquariums are still Siam Ocean World in Bangkok, Thailand, the NY Aquarium (currently closed due to Hurricane Sandy) and the National Aquarium in Baltimore. The decor at atmosphere in Siam Ocean World is amazing!

Siam Ocean World in Bangkok, Thailand:

SEA Aquarium in Resorts World Sentosa, Singapore:

There is also Adventure Cove, which is a water park right next to the S.E.A Aquarium, which features attractions such as the first coaster hydromagnetic technology in Southeast Asia. This vehicle was named Rocket Riptide (AWESOME RIDE). Second attractions are BluWater Bay, a wave pool and a river that flows 620 meters long with winding pathways. During this current wading pool, visitors will be invited to wade through tropical rain forests, caves, zoos and aquariums around. (It was so cool. The lazy river went through aquarium tanks!!) Visitors can also snorkel with the fish at Rainbow Reef.

This guy who I was with got me this really cute sea star plushie as a souvenir. :3

Canada does have marineland... but don't go there. :| they don't take care of their animals properly.

They're opening up a Ripley's aquarium downtown Toronto though. So we'll have our own real aquarium.

Thanks for sharing this post. Its really wonderful and nice pics also.

phuket vacation packages