Thread: List of Aquaria in the US

List of Aquaria in the US

[As of 2012]

Thought it would be cool if people talked about their experiences with aquariums in the US. There is also another thread specifically for aquariums in other countries: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2130-List-of-Aquaria-around-the-World.
    Heard of any cool projects these places are doing? Recommendations/Ratings? First-hand experiences? Jobs even, maybe? Merring opportunities?
    How many have you been to?

Took this from the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Guam
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    Last edited by Spindrift; 06-06-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I worked at both the NY Aquarium and began my rescue career - at Atlantis Marine world - or rather Long Island Aquarium- both are small but wonderful nonprofit Aquariums, they have a clear message in their parks and are huge on conservation and rescue.

and I've travelled to Shedd aquarium, Sea Life Park in Hawaii (which isint up there), Georgia Aquarium, Seaworld Orlando and Clearwater Marine Aquarium, All these aquariums, minus CMA has something special and interesting about them, each aquarium is unique but they all have one clear message, Conservation..

Shedd Aquarium has deep tanks for their open ocean whitesided dolphins. its a beautiful aquarium as well, Georgia aquarium has an amazing exhibit with the whale sharks and manta rays, Seaworld FL has Orcas and other animals and CMA...well they have winter..

I did turtle trek in SeaWorld Florida and they have a small lecture in the turtle habitat before you enter the "movie" about the plight of SeaTurtles from the babies following porch lights instead of the light of the moon, to plastic bags left drifting in the ocean which Mimic the turtle's favorite food, Jellyfish and the Turtle Excluder Device which they had on hand to show people how it works, even the movie was towards teaching people what to do to help turtles the next time they go to the beach... (just using an example)

Clearwater Marine Aquarium (which will be Clearwater Marine Hospital soon) was the only aquarium i wasnt happy with, though seaworld has their shamu logo, CMA literally throws Winter in your face, I cant help but feel their exploiting her disability more than being an "aquarium".. you want to talk about tiny tanks they kept winter in a small holding pool where she was literally surrounded by guests. They had turtles in a tiny area, though you can see the animal rescue center, i feel that this is a place i wont ever go to again, or rather one i will take into account of what NOT to do for my own rescue center.
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 06-07-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Lol wow how did I miss Sea Life Park? I grew up there! Adding it. Beautiful and descriptive contribution, MermaidLanai!

thanks you, and lol i was wondering if you might have missed it. SLP is a beautiful aquarium let me tell you, my favorite is the entrance when you walk in, its like they immerse you into their coral reef tank..

This is amazing! All of the lists are! How did you ever find all of them?! Alas I see that it is true the only aquarium in MI is no more.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

@Mermaid Sirena: Lol, I don't really deserve so much credit. The list is on Wikipedia - I've included the URL at the top of the post.

The ones I've been to are:

Hawaii - Waikiki (Oahu), Sea Life Park (Oahu)
    New York - NY Aquarium
    Massachusetts - Boston New England Aquarium
    California - SeaWorld San Diego
    Washington D.C - National Aquarium
    Maryland - Baltimore National Aquarium

Since they're in my hometown, both Waikiki and Sea Life Park will always mean a lot to me. After those the Baltimore Aquarium and the NY Aquarium are definitely my favorites so far in the US. I didn't really like SeaWorld San Diego or the New England Aquarium. The former because it had this atmosphere that was too commercial and blatantly money-grubbing. It was obvious it was there to make money and didn't seem to really support conservation or marine education. If they did have some it probably seemed like it was only really in place for show. It turned out that I knew more about the animals than the staff. For the latter, the New England Aquarium was pretty cool at first, but too many noisy/obnoxious/rowdy/fist-banging-on-glass kids really turned me off on that place. Also the seals didn't really look like they had enough room and seemed really restless when I was watching them and after going to Ocean Park in Hong Kong and seeing the National Aquarium in Baltimore, the giant several-floor-tank just didn't seem up to par. It has potential to be a favorite over other aquariums in the US, but for now it's just lying about SeaWorld. The NY Aquarium and the Baltimore Aquarium definitely blew my mind though.
    Last edited by Spindrift; 06-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Bellasea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirena View Post
    This is amazing! All of the lists are! How did you ever find all of them?! Alas I see that it is true the only aquarium in MI is no more.
    Don't quote me on this, but I think Belle Isle is re-opening. They had a gala-thiny last week to benefit it. I also did a quick internet search about it and althogh I could not find dates for re-opening I ket finding stuff saying ti is re-opening.
    Tenacity.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    I've been to so many aquariums I don't think I can remember them... I work at the Waikiki Aquarium it's a nice one to visit and we currently have some one of a kind angelfish. Like our peppermint angel, we're the only aquarium in the world to have one of the two living captive specimens.