Thread: Alabama Mers/Swimming Places

Alabama Mers/Swimming Places

Hey ya'll, I'm Cece. If ya look on my profile, it says I'm in Tennessee but I just moved down to Alabama for school. Currently my tail is still up in Tennessee, but if anyone wants to meet up eventually I can get it down here. I also don't know of any cool swimming places, like non-pool locations. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be greatly appreciated!
    "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea​" ~Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Cecelia View Post
    Hey ya'll, I'm Cece. If ya look on my profile, it says I'm in Tennessee but I just moved down to Alabama for school. Currently my tail is still up in Tennessee, but if anyone wants to meet up eventually I can get it down here. I also don't know of any cool swimming places, like non-pool locations. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be greatly appreciated!
    What city are you currently located in?

Huntsville!

A great place to swim near Huntsville is Coffey Grounds. It's a quarry in Decatur filled with fresh water.
    Here's the website: http://www.coffeygrounds.net/index.html
    It's 10 dollars to stay all day, and you have to sign a waiver the first time you go, but it's so worth it. I got my scuba certification there, as the quarry is quite deep. There are so many things to see under the water, like sunken boats, tires, rocks, and even a bunch a fish. The water can be a little cold so prepare for that. The earlier you go, the clearer the water is. It's not cloudy in the outer areas, but once more people start coming to swim a few hours after opening, the shallow areas can get murky due to people agitating the sand. I want to go back and swim with my fabric tail, but haven't found anyone to go with. I'm going to school in Huntsville too! Hopefully, i'll be ordering a hybrid tail soon and I would love to swim with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldamaniacc View Post
    A great place to swim near Huntsville is Coffey Grounds. It's a quarry in Decatur filled with fresh water.
    Here's the website: http://www.coffeygrounds.net/index.html
    It's 10 dollars to stay all day, and you have to sign a waiver the first time you go, but it's so worth it. I got my scuba certification there, as the quarry is quite deep. There are so many things to see under the water, like sunken boats, tires, rocks, and even a bunch a fish. The water can be a little cold so prepare for that. The earlier you go, the clearer the water is. It's not cloudy in the outer areas, but once more people start coming to swim a few hours after opening, the shallow areas can get murky due to people agitating the sand. I want to go back and swim with my fabric tail, but haven't found anyone to go with. I'm going to school in Huntsville too! Hopefully, i'll be ordering a hybrid tail soon and I would love to swim with that too.
    Cool thanks!

Anyone have ideas for great places in the Birmingham area and surrounding areas?

I've heard good things about Oak Mountain State Park. Also, this website has a good list of other places.

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2..._around_m.html

Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldamaniacc View Post
    I've heard good things about Oak Mountain State Park. Also, this website has a good list of other places.

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2..._around_m.html
    I was really hoping for a pool recommendation. I'm not that excited about swimming in natural water when we have flesh eating bacteria issues in Alabama right now.

Ah. Sorry, but I can't really help you with pools. You should be fine in natural water in Birmingham though. The Vibrio bacteria we've been having issues with is only found in warm, brackish water and under-cooked seafood. Swimming in fresh water or very salty water like the ocean is fine. Just don't go eating raw oysters XD