Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Places Banning Mermaiding?

Places Banning Mermaiding?

*insert pun about mermaids becoming mainstream*

And Lyna, I agree with you are saying about beaches and public pools banning mermaiding. I was just warned by a fellow mermaid in my area (the only other one that I know of) that Virginia Beach has outlawed mermaiding on the Oceanfront, and that my YMCA will ban you for life if you try to swim in a tail. It's just really sad. I feel totally restricted, and I don't want other mers, especially the more serious ones, to feel the same way.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by halesloveswhales View Post

And Lyna, I agree with you are saying about beaches and public pools banning mermaiding. I was just warned by a fellow mermaid in my area (the only other one that I know of) that Virginia Beach has outlawed mermaiding on the Oceanfront, and that my YMCA will ban you for life if you try to swim in a tail. It's just really sad. I feel totally restricted, and I don't want other mers, especially the more serious ones, to feel the same way.
    Thats horrible! I hope this doesn't occur all over the world O_o
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Where I am.now... there isn't another mermaid for hours. I'm the only one. Its very lonely so I live that I now know how many of us there are. So long as all the rest are true to it. But I'm about to be moving to Texas and I'm terrified I'll be facing all these restrictions as well.

LOL the only other mer i know in NYC is a male..
    Last edited by NewYorkMermaid; 07-17-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Lanai, The New York's OFFICIAL Professional Mermaid since 2012
    NewYorkMermaid.com Facebook Youtube Tumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    the only mers here, that I know at least, consist of my 3 friends and myself
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

what city are you in?

ha!

Ugh, I had no idea there were places banning mermaiding. But is it the whole tail, wrapped leg thing? Or just the use of a monofin and no air tank? Monofins are used in freediving. Many who mermaid are doing a form of freediving. How are they possibly going to differentiate when the non-mermaiding freedivers start to protest the restriction?

More ughs here.

And yep, more articles are popping up everywhere.

Lanai: I'm not in the city, I'm the entire state away on the Canadian border at least 6 hours from it.
    deepblue: it's tails and monofins from everything I've talked to people about. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what it's coming to.

Good grief, and nothing's even happened that should support that kind of restriction. smh, It's only because it's different than the usual. ~sigh~

Virginia Beach has outlawed mermaiding on the Oceanfront, and that my YMCA will ban you for life if you try to swim in a tail.
    That's AWFUL! D: I had no idea places were starting to ban mermaiding. I have actually NEVER heard of anyone having any kind of accidents or mishaps in tails, and I know very small children who swim in them! I know people are afraid of legality, but there is no ACTUAL reason besides thinking that kids can't swim in a SWIM FIN. It's a fin MADE for swimming! That's absolutely ridiculous. There needs to be something done about this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    ha!

But is it the whole tail, wrapped leg thing? Or just the use of a monofin and no air tank?
    The lifeguards don't fuss at me when I just use my monofin at the beach. I don't go out when it's too choppy because I know that they're already on edge. I haven't actually finished my tail that I'm making or received the tail I ordered yet, so I don't know exactly what they do about full mermaid costumes. But the other mermaid told me that lifeguards had told her to come back to shore. I think they don't like the idea of binding legs together. It makes sense, especially with the nonadept tourists, but still it sucks. I understand that it's a safety issue for amateurs, but I wish I could show them that I am a competent swimmer.
    Virginia Beach's rule is also because of the neighboring city, Norfolk, whose symbol is the mermaid. Virginia Beach doesn't want to be stepping on any toes (...or fins) by having mermaids. :P
    I've just decided to stick with the more private beaches and pools. It's sad, but it's what happens. Gotta adapt, I suppose.

I wish I could show them that I am a competent swimmer.
    I was thinking, how could we reduce the chance of having mermaiding banned, or being kicked out of the water in places? I think the best thing to do, for public pools and beaches especially, is to go up to the life guards and educate them that your tail in fact works as a swimming AID and a piece of water equipment. They don't know what it is and what it's made of, they just know it looks like something heavy that binds your legs together, and you want to swim in it. Let them know it has a strong propelling fin in the bottom, and is basically a wet suit (if it's made of neoprene) and can actually help you stay warm and buoyant. Heck with neoprene and latex tails sometimes they're so buoyant if you were drowning or passed out it'd probably float you to the surface. With other materials let them know that it's boyant in the water (latex) neutrally buoyant in the water and won't make you sink or float (silicone), or is light weight when wet and swim wear material (lycra/spandex). If need be tell them you can demonstrate that you can swim strongly in it. Education and awareness, right?

@Winged Mermaid: That's a great idea! I'm not sure how well it would work in my pool, though, because the lifeguards seem to rotate in and out. There's a new one every 30 minutes, and I'd keep having to stop to explain. One can try though, right?

I've wondered if some sort of waiver saying you won't sue them if you drown would help. Maybe not, as they still don't want you to drown...

...although you couldn't sue them if you were drowned...XP

Right now I'm going to my pool as much as possible in my monofin so that the lifeguards get used to seeing me mer-swimg and HOPEFULLY I can just point out it's basically a wetsuit with the monofin in it. That's the theory, anyway.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

If they rotate out that often you could always just ask the one you explain it to to tell the next life guard coming in that you're good to go. Or you could even make a laminated note (or cheap laminated note, by means of putting it in a zip lock or page protector and tape it with clear packing tape round the edges) that explains who you are and what the tail is made of, why it's a swim aid, and if they have any questions to ask you. Put at the bottom to pass it on to the next life guard on duty, and ask them to do that as well. Plus I think the next shift would not be as concerned if they come in and see for themselves that you're swimming fine with it as the shift that sees you putting it on. Maybe bribe them with cookies or something if you want on their good side ;D Couldn't hurt to have a signed legal waver on the back of the educational note either. Either way, having something in writing is always good. Makes people feel more secure about iffy situations.

Below is something I quickly typed up. Feel free to alter and use it if you wish! If you have an improvement to suggest, please do! If you wish, you can contact me at thalassamermaid@gmail.com for a pages, word or pdf version.

NOTE: I am neither a swim instructor nor a lawyer. This has been written to suit my personal circumstances and with what I was able to find regarding liability waivers on the internet.

Name:  Infosheetgeneral.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  91.9 KB

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

WHAT?!?!?! why??
    THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY. I WAS GONNA HAVE MY BOYFRIEND TAKE ME TO THE BEACH ONCE I GOT MY TAIL
    uuugggghhhhh im so mad right now, thats ridiculous!! why did they ban it at va beach oceanfront??? :'(

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Can anyone find any articles online about the YMCA or public beaches banning merfolk? It might behoove us to start keeping a list.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Brianna View Post
    WHAT?!?!?! why??
    THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY. I WAS GONNA HAVE MY BOYFRIEND TAKE ME TO THE BEACH ONCE I GOT MY TAIL
    uuugggghhhhh im so mad right now, thats ridiculous!! why did they ban it at va beach oceanfront??? :'(
    I'm not totally sure of the rule, once again. I was just told this by another mer. If you're going to VB, I suggest maybe starting at the North End, where there are fewer tourists and lifeguards.

ohh. i also just read your other comments (i had posted that before reading the 2nd page), but that stinks
    i practically live part-time in vb, so i hope they havent banned mermaiding.

Me too. I tend to go there to relax but what if I want to slip on my tail and swim out there. Its sad we dont have any better places to really go