Thread: Attention Northern Utah Mers!!!! Wanna come hang with a couple Rocky Mountain Mers??

Hidden Pools of the Rocky Mountains (Colorado Springs, CO)

Attention Northern Utah Mers!!!! Wanna come hang with a couple Rocky Mountain Mers??

Hi!!!!!! I'm Mermaid Noveli, and a friend of mine, Mermaid Saya, will be heading to Magna, UT to the Great Salt Lake for some epic mermaiding and photos! If you live near the area and would like to join us or meet up for a bit LET US KNOW! We'd LOVE to meet new mers on this trip, it'd make it all the more fun. We're leaving out of Colorado Springs and making the 10 hour drive to Magna. We'll have more details with exact dates soon. Just shooting for mid September as of now.

And here's a little video of where we want to end up

I can't wait for us to do this woman!

ME EITHER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidNoveli View Post
    Hi!!!!!! I'm Mermaid Noveli, and a friend of mine, Mermaid Saya, will be heading to Magna, UT to the Great Salt Lake for some epic mermaiding and photos! If you live near the area and would like to join us or meet up for a bit LET US KNOW! We'd LOVE to meet new mers on this trip, it'd make it all the more fun. We're leaving out of Colorado Springs and making the 10 hour drive to Magna. We'll have more details with exact dates soon. Just shooting for mid September as of now.
    That sounds like a great plan. However, I just did a photo shoot out at the Great Salt Lake. The images you see online are beautiful, yes, but that part of the lake is disgusting. I wouldn't recommend heading to that portion, there are lots of bugs, dead birds (and it smells), and it's not sand, it's salt and mud. I would say a better place to meet (although it's a little farther) would be Antelope Island or Willard Bay. Both places are much better for swimming, and aren't as gross as the salt flat areas. You could even make a trip to see the famous Spiral Jetty done by Robert Smithson. It's an amazing piece of land art (and would be great for pictures). The last time I was there, we were sunburned (from the white salt) in places you wouldn't think possible, eaten alive by bugs, and there really isn't anywhere to relax and talk. It's a great place to get a couple of photos, but it's a in and out thing Just thought maybe you would want to hear from a local about what the lake is really like!
    Visit me on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/mermaidsofthegreatsaltlake

And check out my memoir of mermaid adventures and mishaps!
    http://memoirsofmermaidleiloni.blogspot.com/

Just keep swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lei Loni View Post
    That sounds like a great plan. However, I just did a photo shoot out at the Great Salt Lake. The images you see online are beautiful, yes, but that part of the lake is disgusting. I wouldn't recommend heading to that portion, there are lots of bugs, dead birds (and it smells), and it's not sand, it's salt and mud. I would say a better place to meet (although it's a little farther) would be Antelope Island or Willard Bay. Both places are much better for swimming, and aren't as gross as the salt flat areas. You could even make a trip to see the famous Spiral Jetty done by Robert Smithson. It's an amazing piece of land art (and would be great for pictures). The last time I was there, we were sunburned (from the white salt) in places you wouldn't think possible, eaten alive by bugs, and there really isn't anywhere to relax and talk. It's a great place to get a couple of photos, but it's a in and out thing Just thought maybe you would want to hear from a local about what the lake is really like!

Thank you Mermaid Lei Loni!!! We're actually looking for the real salty areas to take pictures for what I have in mind but trekking out a little further for better swimming and meetup grounds is definitely something we can add on What got me started on the idea was I told my boyfriend I wanted to go to the Dead Sea to take mermaid pictures (We were watching An Idiot Abroad haha) And he said Great Salt Lake is closer, thus began the planning lol but my goal is the real salty not so pristine areas for some good shots then we could definitely venture farther for some good swimming and fun

You might want to consider heading to the Bonneville Salt Flats too. They are about 2 hrs away, and are beautiful. Since there's no lake out there, the don't reek of dead birds and bugs. Of course, there's no water either. But they would make fantastic shots. Just be careful not to ruin your tail from the salt from either place! I had to rinse mine really well after, and it still had a little damage done to it. Good luck!
    Visit me on Facebook!

Just keep swimming!

Oh sweet! Thank you!! I thought about the tail damage but I'm a tail maker so it'll be like a cool experiment to see what the tail can handle and how easy it is for me to fix But we're super stoked! Thanks so much for all the awesome info, I'll probably hit you up when it gets closer if you're cool with that

Absolutely! I'm excited too. Hopefully other mers in the area could gather. It would be wonderful to meet everyone!
    Visit me on Facebook!

Just keep swimming!

Depending on when it is, I'd love to meet up with y'all! I would honestly prefer somewhere less stinky, etc. so if you can be persuaded to come to a place like one of those mentioned above for the meetup that would be great.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Yes it would Lei Loni!!! Once we have things more worked out we'll update ya and our goal is definitely the stinky areas (I know, we're strange) but that's where I want pictures. But if we can, we're absolutely going to go check out the more people friendly areas, too