Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Iryna View Post
    Hi! We just discussed it here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I would go for finis competitor. It's about same price if you buy it from swim outlet store and use 10% discount code.
    I got into taptalk. Thank you! So much easier. I'm reading through the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now that I read through all the previous conversations, I'm feeling a bit more confused. I would like to wear the fin with fabric tails so ideally it would be sleeker and the feet would be together. It seems comfortable. I'm not sure what to get now and almost feel like starting over again. So many options. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lisa View Post
    I got into taptalk. Thank you! So much easier. I'm reading through the threads.

I didn't realize that link won't open if you don't use Tapatalk but I'm glad you got it. It's truly easier to find information and see all the new discussions

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    My new customised fibreglass fin from Special Fins is finally completed! Karmo from Special Fins actually fully customised the fluke shape for me to a Mermaid tail shape which I am super grateful for as I was dreading how much it would cost me to have it professionally cut after getting the monofin. Not only did he did he custom cut it he actually custom built it from the ground up which is pretty cool! I am still waiting for it to arrive so I can take it for a test swim but I am very happy so far with his great work on my monofin!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    So cool! Congratulations! How is it in the water? Are you using it with a fabric tail and how is the bulk of the footpockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Iryna View Post
    I didn't realize that link won't open if you don't use Tapatalk but I'm glad you got it. It's truly easier to find information and see all the new discussions
    I love it! Thank you!

Sounds like that's better than the model 2. I do know of a freediver who swims a lot for over an hour in her model 2 and loves it. Do I have to go up a size to wear booties? Can I still twirl about and swim sideways etc. in the nemo wing? I want movement and fluidity/play.

You lose some ease of twirling with a large surface area with a monofin / hyperfin design.

To combat this a bit, I would err on the side of a softer fin if indeed that is what you valued.

Look online for how those footpockets (Omer stingray I believe) tend to fit.

A 2mm sock isn't much... But it's about 1-size up from what people tend to say without booties / socks.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSwimFin.com View Post
    You lose some ease of twirling with a large surface area with a monofin / hyperfin design.

To combat this a bit, I would err on the side of a softer fin if indeed that is what you valued.

Look online for how those footpockets (Omer stingray I believe) tend to fit.

A 2mm sock isn't much... But it's about 1-size up from what people tend to say without booties / socks.

Ok. Thank you

So cool! Congratulations! How is it in the water? Are you using it with a fabric tail and how is the bulk of the footpockets?

I have used my new fin several times in the pool now and a couple of times in the ocean when I was at Mercon. In the pool, compared to my FinFun Monofin it feels almost like youre cheating! I can swim so much further with not very much effort, my estimate is that it gets you probably 2-2.5 times further per kick than a FinFun. In the ocean, especially when there are currents it is a necessity (I tried the FinFun in the ocean and in all but the calmest waters it feels like youre not going anywhere when you kick!) Other than that it is so comfortable to wear! I'm so glad I got full foot pockets, I can wear it for hours and my feet don't get sore at all.

I do wear a fabric tail over the top of the fin (which I made myself), and surprisingly the foot pockets are not that visible through the fabric because I have made the fabric very taught, though I admit it does bug me a bit that the foot pockets are not closer together because it makes the base of the tail quite wide and I'm used to my FinFun Monofin where your ankles are practically touching! If I had one of these custom made again I'd ask for the foot pockets to be closer together, but now that I'm used to it I hardly even notice the difference.

Heres a full review of my thoughts on the fin here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...98915953672408

And some photos of my fabric tail over the fin here:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...98915953672408

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...98915953672408

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL5WJDHg8tS/

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I got myself one of these in blue, recently. It swims beautifully and has lots of propulsion. It is slightly smaller than an adult Merfin. Foot pockets go up to a size 12 female shoe. I even took it to that little netted beach at Manly and frolicked in the deeps!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2018-blue-yellow-Colored-swimming-pool_60752414044.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017005.2. 37ef2eb0quUIlX
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 07-03-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

This post says that the finis wave can fit a woman size 2-8, and i see a lot of mermaids using this monofin. From what i've heard of it's flexibility, I'm fairly certain that this is the monofin I want for my first, but the finis website says that the wave is for youth size. Will it really fit me? I'm a women's 7.5 (US sizing)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I can answer that, as I have a Lunocet. Its comfortable because the "foot pockets" are actual shoes. You know, with a left and a right, and made in the shape of a foot. You go to a local store and buy ones that fit your feet, and you find to be comfortable. You get bicycle shoes (the type that bolt to cleats that lock into bicycle pedals), and bolt them to the Lunocet.
    Attachment 36792
    How long did it take for you to get you lunocet and how is it holding up today with about how much use? I've been researching these fins but would love to know how they hold up to mermaid use.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    It took a couple of weeks for delivery. Overall its held up well, although I don't swim in it that often. When I do, I do as most Mers do: swim a little, hang on the side of the pool alot.
    I did have one issue: I whacked it against the side of the pool and broke part of the articulation linkage. Lunocet sent me new, redesigned, stronger parts. So now this should not be an issue for anyone.
    Other issues not related to durability: The fabric of the tail skin tends to sag in the space between the feet and the fin. There is no support for it there. I made a neoprene cover for this area that velcros onto the shoes and the fin.
    Also: cycling shoes fit great, and are quite comfortable. But you cannot kick out of them. You have to reach down and undo them to get out. This seems to be a safety issue. In addition, if I had a silicone tail for my Lunocet (Which I would like to have, if there are any tail makers out there who want to try...) I would not be sure how I would get my feet into and out of the cycling shoes. Thus, I have been testing swim fin foot pockets, and how to mount them to the Lunocet. I'm making good progress there. I found pockets that fit me and are reasonably comfortable. I found that if I bolt the foot pockets to a sheet of polycarbonate, then bolt that to the Lunocet, I have a system I can use and kick out of. I'm not sure how to get my feet into the pockets hands free, but I'm close.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    It took a couple of weeks for delivery. Overall its held up well, although I don't swim in it that often. When I do, I do as most Mers do: swim a little, hang on the side of the pool alot.
    I did have one issue: I whacked it against the side of the pool and broke part of the articulation linkage. Lunocet sent me new, redesigned, stronger parts. So now this should not be an issue for anyone.
    Other issues not related to durability: The fabric of the tail skin tends to sag in the space between the feet and the fin. There is no support for it there. I made a neoprene cover for this area that velcros onto the shoes and the fin.
    Also: cycling shoes fit great, and are quite comfortable. But you cannot kick out of them. You have to reach down and undo them to get out. This seems to be a safety issue. In addition, if I had a silicone tail for my Lunocet (Which I would like to have, if there are any tail makers out there who want to try...) I would not be sure how I would get my feet into and out of the cycling shoes. Thus, I have been testing swim fin foot pockets, and how to mount them to the Lunocet. I'm making good progress there. I found pockets that fit me and are reasonably comfortable. I found that if I bolt the foot pockets to a sheet of polycarbonate, then bolt that to the Lunocet, I have a system I can use and kick out of. I'm not sure how to get my feet into the pockets hands free, but I'm close.
    Awesome, thank you! Lunocet had a lot of issues in the beginning with delivery and some durability issues, but this was with the freediving community who were training in the pools every day and pushing off the wall with their fin. Anyways all of this was before ultimate swim fin took over sales so the inventor of Lunocet can just focus on production because he fails at the rest of it, heh.
    I'm really stocked to hear this, I have some ideas about that saggy tail part too.

My monofin had shipped! Ahh I can't wait.

My Lunocet monofin came in and I was turning my cycling shoes into mermaid shoes when I discovered the holes on my shoes where off ever so slightly. I've read this happening with a few other free drivers on the deep blue form... So I guess these get to stay cycling shoes and later I'll take my monofin into the bike shop with me to buy new shoes just for it. It's a good thing the owner knows me and already knows me to be a little eccentric... And he is too so hopefully I make it in during a time he is there so I don't look like such a crazy person. Haha oh the life of a mermaid.

MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Also check out my neoprene socks in the top left hand corner, they have pink hearts on them!! I love them. I found them on Amazon and they fit great.

I know this has probably been asked before. So forgive me if it's repetitive.
    I've got a finis rapid and I love it. But I want to make it a more mermaid-y shape by adding to it. I watched the videos listed previously but I wanted to ask about vinyl.
    Would this be the best option? Obviously I still want it to be flowy like my monofin is now so I don't want to use anything too stiff.
    I found 60 gauge vinyl online and I was considering it. I just don't want to overload my monofin if that makes sense! Would this work? Would it be too flimsy?
    Also I should mention I don't really want to put any holes in my monofin. I would rather use some sort of glue to attach this addition. I just don't know what to use!
    Any help or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

I need some advice. I'm getting a new tail from mernation and they gave me the choice between a finis wave and medium trainer monofin. I need something that is comfortable and I'll be swimming mostly in pools as I am landlocked. Thoughts?

Question for people. Is there a monofin that will fit in standard carry on bag you put in overhead bins on planes? I'll be traveling a lot for work and won't be able to have a checked bag to take my mahina fin. The dimensions of the bag are 9-by-14-by-22 inches.