Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    The problem with using bi-fins in a tail is the possibility of your dolphin kick—there are times when your two feet are not kicking together exactly in unison. That, added to the fins being in the fluke (with its added weight) could cause your kicking to lose rhythm, and cause you to be a candidate for a lifeguard's help. One might try using nylon tie-wraps to keep the two fins together to simulate a monofin. But the end result would be a bad compromise. The monofin is designed strictly for the dolphin kick, whereas bi-fins can be used for the flutter, scissors, and dolphin kicks. Dolphin kicking WITHOUT being in a tail is fine—I do it all the time in workouts. But in a tail? No way. Hope this info helps.
    It confirms what I thought. Thanks!

I've used the ol' "two bi-fins lashed together" in a tail before. And while it kind of works if you're in a pinch and all you can afford is a pair of $10 used bi-fins from the second hand store, really any monofin is probably going to be a lot more effective and comfortable.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod

How to get a Hydra monofin??

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Mads View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I found a mono fin I love so much better for 1/3 of the cost of the finis competitor!

how did you get your hydra monofin?? I am having a hard time finding it

I just received my Mahina Merfin a couple days ago and went swimming with it this morning, so here's a few videos so you can see how the fin looks:

If the videos aren't showing up, you can follow me on Instagram (jellydockter) where I posted a video or look up "Mahina Merfin" and you will find plenty of swimming videos! My quick review is that this monofin is AWESOME. I looked at basically every other monofin out there and I think this was absolutely the best option for me. I was swimming in a shallow pool so it was a little difficult to maneuver at first, but still flow-y enough to work in a small swimming area. It's also large enough and provides plenty of propulsion to swim in open waters. The design looks incredibly beautiful underwater. The only thing with this monofin is that if you're not wearing neoprene socks, your feet might get a little sore after swimming for a long time. I bought the size (large) bigger than my measurements to leave room for the neoprene socks; but even when I swam without the socks, it took a long time for my feet to get sore and the monofin didn't come off at all when I didn't want to (even though it was very large on my feet without the socks). It also wasn't impossible to get on and off, though I had more trouble when I tried to put it on dry. Your best option is to do it while in the water. I swam for hours and it was very comfortable the whole entire time. I love that the heal straps aren't adjustable so I don't have to worry about breaking or them coming loose while in my tail. This monofin is a little pricey, but definitely cheaper than a competitor. It was $118 new on Amazon including shipping and tax. If you decide to buy this, please buy it one size bigger than you need and factor money to buy neoprene socks into your budget. I don't want you to hurt your feet! The socks I got were about $24. I'm washing the fin and socks right now with some gentle laundry detergent in my bathtub Thank you and I hope this is helpful!!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I had an ocean swim in my merfin tail earlier today. Well ok, not right in the ocean, more like a couple of laps in a netted beach in Sydney Harbour. Even though there was no currents, the only current were the waves from the ferries that docked nearby. I found it quite hard to get moving underwater unless I was swimming at the right time, where the waves were coming over to the beach. And when there was no waves, parallel if you were standing on the beach. Does this mean I need to have a stiffer monofin?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Hm! That's good to know, I thought it would be fine to swim in the ocean because I've seen lots of videos, but I'll be cautious when I swim in more open waters. The Merfin is made out of rubber, so maybe something like plexiglass or a stiffer plastic? Have you owned any other monofins before?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Personally (as someone who swims in the ocean on a regular basis) I wouldn't recommend anything less than something like a finis trainer (shooter maybe if you're a strong swimmer) unless you're swimming in a clam bay like area. If there are waves or currents I know my monofins tend to frustrate me with their flimsiness if I use anything less than a trainer. I'd love to get my hands on a competitor in my size and take it for a spin.

Smaller people can "get away" with "less monofin". Having said that, one that creates a lot of thrust / acceleration is always ideal, regardless of your size / weight.

And remember that great technique goes a LONG way and most people use WAY too much knee-bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nelly View Post
    maybe something like plexiglass or a stiffer plastic?
    Never use plexiglass as a monofin!!!!! It isn't strong enough and will shatter into very sharp pieces and might cut you very badly. The stuff used for DIY monofins is polycarbonate, look for the brand name Lexan at Home Depot.

*Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMermaid View Post
    Never use plexiglass as a monofin!!!!! It isn't strong enough and will shatter into very sharp pieces and might cut you very badly. The stuff used for DIY monofins is polycarbonate, look for the brand name Lexan at Home Depot.

Eep! That's really good to know!!! What are magictail.de monofins made out of?? I thought it was plexiglass... I guess I didn't read it right.

Ok. Thanks mers! I will get a... I don't know which brand yet! But I'll get a stiff monofin, once I sell off some of my hand made jewelry, and other stuff, AND get a job!

Apologies if this has been answered here or elsewhere already, is there somewhere I can read about the pros and cons of each type of monofin that is on the market? I currently own a FinFun tail which is reasonably flexible and looking for a larger/more powerful monofin that still has some flexibility to it so that when I put it in a tail the motion is quite flowy. Does such a monofin even exist? I currently swim in pools but the thought was for having something for a beach/ocean swim. I have tried a Finis Wave, and found it ok but a little stiff and not too much more powerful than my FinFun.

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered here or elsewhere already, is there somewhere I can read about the pros and cons of each type of monofin that is on the market? I currently own a FinFun tail which is reasonably flexible and looking for a larger/more powerful monofin that still has some flexibility to it so that when I put it in a tail the motion is quite flowy. Does such a monofin even exist? I currently swim in pools but the thought was for having something for a beach/ocean swim. I have tried a Finis Wave, and found it ok but a little stiff and not too much more powerful than my FinFun.
    If you read up this thread a little, the Mahina Merfin I think is great! It sounds like it doesn't have enough propulsion to swim in the ocean, but I had no issues swimming in a pool. Look into it, maybe you'll like it- it flows really nicely.

Fifi of Tigg's Tails uses the Mahina in the tails she makes. I don't know how they are for ocean swimming but she's who I'd talk to about them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." ~Sophia Loren

Sessilee means "Blind to Self Beauty"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidSessilee
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/SessileeStrfish

Formerly known as MermaidAmbrGlow

Maybe its just me, but ocean swam in mine last Sunday... It was hard to get going! Sea water didn't help me when I was underwater either.

SO FLOATY!!!

Memories of my first few swims emerged. Where I had epic battles with the water's surface, thrashing about trying to break the surface to dive underneath. And that was in chlorine.

It. Was. Exactly. Like. That.

Gotta learn how to "duck dive" freediving style.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSwimFin.com View Post
    Gotta learn how to "duck dive" freediving style.

How do I do that? Sounds difficult!

Have you tried a weight belt?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Have you tried a weight belt?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    I swim alone. Wearing one when I'm alone isn't safe.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Livou's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Livou on Facebook Add Mermaid Livou on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Livou's Youtube Channel
    Hey, does anyone know, Finis doesnt sell fiberglass monofins anymore? Im checking their website since months and its not listed; just out of curiosity