Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank and Style, Nobility or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    I'm guessing empress has a different meaning to emperor, rather than just being the feminine version of the title? I can understand why many would make the mistake. I'd rather be called "empress" and have it mean the same thing and hold the same importance as "emperor", rather than being lumped under the masculine form because that's the only form of the word that gets any respect.
    From what I remember she was the one who took that title. She still had the same duties as empress but to prove a point she called herself king and also wore the emperors robe (yellow I think at the time?) and no one else was allowed that.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    I'm guessing empress has a different meaning to emperor, rather than just being the feminine version of the title? I can understand why many would make the mistake. I'd rather be called "empress" and have it mean the same thing and hold the same importance as "emperor", rather than being lumped under the masculine form because that's the only form of the word that gets any respect.
    Chinese (unless, very rarely, putting "the very word "man" or "woman" in it) doesn't have genders.
    The word "emperor" or "king", thus, is normally gender neutral.
    "Empress" 皇后 or "Queen" 王后, however, does mean literally "Spouse of the Emperor/King", whereas the English word can be either that or a ruler.

The Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut, historically speaking the closest person to Wu Zetian, took the title "Pharao" for the same reasons, which doesn't have a female form.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I see! That makes sense.

I suppose it was the English who translated it with a feminine "ess" on the end :P

I'm a princess simply because the first piece of jewellery I got was a tiara. Also, because if am the one in charge of my company. Any people who join down the line will also have titles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think i'll become a warrior queen. A friend of mine had these frequent recurring dream plots and they're almost like star trek but 10x more amazing because i'm a mermaid queen with fabuloso outfits. I've yet to acquire the full story from her but the details she provided for my character is that i can control anyone to do my bidding and we're at war with the other states including an evil priest.
    (think Regina from ONCE, but under-the-sea metropolis and post-apocalyptic. and because "humanity is just starting over" there's a bit of steam-punk in her dream world)
    The SeaGlass Siren

Junior Member Mermaid Noelle Frost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Saoirse View Post
    I've been jumping between picking up the title of Empress or Queen(one of my pod members refuses to call me anything but Queen). However I'm also still considering not picking up a title at all because I have no clue when I'd even use a title. Mermaid Noelle Frost is fond of the title Ice Oracle.
    Yep because everyone I meet tends to see me as a cold person, for some odd reason. Plus I'm more in-tuned with my surrounds lol.

No nobility for me, haha. My mer character is a Salvor. ( a salvor being someone who makes a living in the maritime salvage business). They dive to shipwrecks to recover valuables or personal effects, and are even sometimes paid to assist in the recovery and raising of entire ships.

I suppose they could also be seen as a warrior for their pod, as the salvors are the toughest of the lot and usually on the front lines if anything is going down.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    and mulan (she's technically a Disney princess so it works out).
    The character Fa Mulan, was based on a character from Chinese literature (Hua Mulan) in like the 6th century. Right? You're not just thinking she was create by the Disney company.

I'm not saying it to be mean, it's just how it reads.
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    Hmmm....I feels like I'd be a protector or guard or something.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    I am a shaman and a healer. I love my natural remedies and other things of nature. I am a provider.
    A naturalist in every sense. I even REFUSE to work with silicone. ALL my creations are created with REAL seashells. Sure, that limits my sizing availability for customers some times, but we always find ways to make it work ^_^

That being said, if any one needs a NATURAL, home remedy, dont hesitate to send me a message. I'm sure there is something I can suggest that might help you out
    You can get better hold of me on my FB mermaid page, I dont frequent MN enough....
    Best Bubble Wishes! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    The character Fa Mulan, was based on a character from Chinese literature (Hua Mulan) in like the 6th century. Right? You're not just thinking she was create by the Disney company.

I'm not saying it to be mean, it's just how it reads.
    Yep i mean the one from the 6th century. i know she wasn't created by disney (none of the princesses are except maybe princess merida, princess sofia, and that new latina princess that hasnt been released yet) i mean in terms of if i were to be like anyone i'd be mulan.
    and since there's already a disney version of her if anyone were to really dress up as mulan at a princess party, it would work out.

no worries you're just asking for clarification its all good
    The SeaGlass Siren

My name already has the title incorporated into it because of the meaning. I mean, I guess I could go full on with "Ardvi Sura Anahita" but that's pretty pretentious and I'm actually sure that's crossing the line from namesake to just being blasphemous and claiming to be the actual yazata. I could go with something a little less insane and use Shahbanoo or Shahzadeh/dokht, but that's more words for the English speaking tongue to butcher, so I'm not sure I'd get the satisfaction from it I intended to. I suppose though because my name doesn't have the rank and cultural ties apparent to non-Iranians maybe I should start using the translations of like "Lady-Emperor" or "King-born" with it.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melusinah View Post
    I am a shaman and a healer. I love my natural remedies and other things of nature. I am a provider.
    A naturalist in every sense. I even REFUSE to work with silicone. ALL my creations are created with REAL seashells. Sure, that limits my sizing availability for customers some times, but we always find ways to make it work ^_^

That being said, if any one needs a NATURAL, home remedy, dont hesitate to send me a message. I'm sure there is something I can suggest that might help you out
    You can get better hold of me on my FB mermaid page, I dont frequent MN enough....
    Best Bubble Wishes! <3

Melu and I are of the same ilk. I was raised in a shamanic tradition. I was taught by my family natural healing methods. Later in my life, I became licensed in Massage Therapy and Reiki. I make my own natural beauty products and work with herbs and essential oils a great deal. In my personal life, I tend to be a guide - singing the song of Life back to those I come in contact with who have forgotten it.

eg - https://tarbeyah.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/your-song-lessons-from-an-african-tribe/

So, in this way on the path of serving and humility (as everyone's path is different), I will never take or claim a title unless it is bestowed upon me by. . . for lack of a better turn of phrase. . . "The People." lol
    Nashoba - The Native American Mermaid's Facebook

Ka-Powell Entertainement

"The difference between a net that catches you and a hammock that cradles you is your perspective."
    -Nashoba

Fa Mulan was not a princess. She was a civilian who became a soldier who then married a general. So, she's more of a military wife.

I lose respect for Disney on a day-by-day basis...

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    So, how does this compare, to purchasing one's royal title from Sealand?
    Okay, I had never heard of Sealand before so I had to look it up...and it is amazing. This is one of the strangest things I've ever heard it, I love it. I am more tempted than I should be to spend $45 and have a fancy certificate saying I am a Lady.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin

^ *cough*
    I did that.
    Not through Sealand, but I am /technically/ a Lady

(Yes, I am aware it has no legal meaning, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by -Annwyn- View Post
    Fa Mulan was not a princess. She was a civilian who became a soldier who then married a general. So, she's more of a military wife.

I lose respect for Disney on a day-by-day basis...
    I know she was not a princess... You don't have to keep reiterating it.
    I'm saying if i felt the need to cosplay as mulan i'd dress up as the Disney version because no one freaking knows what she looks like.

We all know that none of the Disney princesses are originals
    Except kida, Merida, Sofia, moana, and the other Latina princess that isn't out yet. If you don't like any of the Disney adaptations that's up to you.

I really don't understand that last comment you made and I don't know why you lose respect for Disney but I can honestly tell you that it really rubbed me the wrong way.
    *throws candies and sparkles at annwyn to show no ill feelings*
    Last edited by SeaGlass Siren; 03-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.

I think I need to rethink my mersona.
    As far as titles, in my own little pod (at the time when we were a pod) I was known as the Mayor because of a sash I wore with my tail. Not really a royal title, but it was still fun.
    I am always told that I'd be the warrior/protector mermaid. The one who saves people, stops sinking ships, rescues injured sea life, etc. (Amusingly enough, I've actually pulled two different toddlers who can't swim from the water in my tail when they fell in. Watching their eyes as they see me swim up to get them will be something I never forget)
    i used to love the idea of being a princess mermaid, but now, I just think being A mermaid is the coolest thing you can do. Who needs the title when you've got a tail?
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Meerihua's Avatar
    This is an older thread, so I hope it's okay to revive them!

My mersona used to go by "Chieftess," but I've since dropped the title. Instead of a leader, Meerihua is more of a traveler of all the seas.