Thread: Introductory to latex?

Introductory to latex?

I've been wanting to just wait longer and save up for a silicone MerBellas' tail. The college I'm planning to go to (but plans fall apart, of course...) has a pretty large pool and such, and everybody there is very liberal and accepting, so I don't think I'll have any problem with that. But I'd like to have a tail by then. So I looked at Merberry, and I really like their tails. Problem is, I can't seem to find much info on latex tails and would really like to know more about them. Can anyone with experience help?

- Does the neoprene lining (that Merberry uses) really influence floatation and the like?
    - How long would one last?
    - Does the paint come off?
    - How long does it take to get on?
    - How long does it take to dry?
    - Who made yours?
    - How much does it weigh?

I really like the way her flukes look in the water, and I also like Raven's looks in the water, but I'm not the biggest fan of how they look out or the general shape of them. I also know there's one member on here who purchased from Merberry (that I know of) and I will probably contact her after I determine if I should buy one or just continue to save up. Thanks so much!

Neoprene and latex are both very buoyant in the water. The thicker the neoprene, the more buoyant it is. My neoprene and latex tail is 2mm neoprene and 1mm latex and unless I'm moving downwards I go up whether I want to or not. It's just the nature of the beast. (Funny story, actually, there are two 5lb weights involved in my profile pic that you can't see. Because I could not stay sunk long enough to get the shot on my own, even though the pool was only 4ft deep. Some shots I had to use those plus two 5lb hand weights.) Silicone is neutrally buoyant in the water- it doesn't really float or sink- which is why it's a popular option for mers who do a lot of under water work (shoots, aquarium swims, ect).

Mine is good neoprene and slip casting latex (late 2009 Mertailor, when he still used neoprene and actual latex), and it lasted 2 years before the latex started degrading. Coming up on 3 years and the latex is cracking all over the tail, flaking off in chunks, and can hardly hold paint at all (I have to re paint it after every swim) because of how much the material is degraded. The neoprene is starting to go out at the top and seams, so I have to do repairs on that as well. I expect to have to retire it very soon. So I'd call it at 3 years.

Keep in mind that Mayberry uses neoprene and ALEX Plus. From what I've heard those tails, because of the tin cure latex (ALEX in this case), can have a much shorter life span. You can extend the life of your tail with proper care and maintenance routine every time it goes in the water, but you have to be strict with yourself about it. There is a whole thread on that here.

Yes, the paint comes off. I did touch ups constantly on my tail through it's life time, and now I have to repaint large sections every time I use it. I eventually invested in an airbrush for this.

It takes me about 2-3 minutes to get on tops - depending on how hot/humid it is that makes it stick to my skin therefore harder to get on.

It takes at least a week to dry, even with the drying stand my hubby made. The inside of the fluke is the hardest part and may take 2 weeks or more to dry completely at times.

It weighs about 20lbs.

Keep in mind with the Merbella Studios basic tail (the $1,000 one) she can easily do custom fluke shapes. From what I've seen with neoprene tails, if it's a neoprene and latex (tin cure or casting) the latex will start to go out before the neoprene does. I would guess with a silicone and neoprene tail that becuase of the great strength and life of the silicone the neoprene would start to go long before the silicone would. That would be another reason to take top care of your neoprene lining if you got one (see tail care thread for more info).

Hope that helps you

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Yeah, the thicker the neoprene, the more floaty it is- as Winged said. I heard Mayberry tails are good, but FishButts is also a good option if you dont find what you need anywhere else. It takes care of the paint coming off issue cause she puts the paint under the latex, has neoprene lining, and costs about half as much. No offense to Mayberry though! She has an account on here an probably can tell you more than i can haha! Just helping
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Ahhh! Thank you, Winged. Those answers were just what I was looking for, simple and easy. I think I'll continue to save up for a silicone from Raven. I don't know if I'll get the simpler one or not. But seriously, thank you again!

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    So Winged, are you saying it's sort of pointless to shell out money for a latex tail by MerBellas? It would be more cost effective to buy a silicone tail?

Silicone is more cost effective for sure. This is more true if you use it frequently (such as pro mers). It holds up over time and with wear far better than latex, especially tin cure latex. Although I don't know what you mean by a latex tail from Merbellas, as they only make silicone tails. The lower cost on has a neoprene base though.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

iblondie, does merbellas even sell latex tails? i dont think she does... >.>

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Brianna View Post
    iblondie, does merbellas even sell latex tails? i dont think she does... >.>
    I believe i did see that she seels latex tails, sorry I can't remember where :/
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

She's made a few latex tails herself (Buster, the white yellow and red one, and another for Meshpa to wear in-tank) but she has never offered them for sale. She made one silicone tail and decided that she'd never work with latex for tails again. That's happened with all the tail makers who ever cast latex then tried silicone. I guess once you go silicone you don't go back, hu?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Oh you're right guys ._. I must of had a dream she made her $1,000 tails with latex. I thought she made a video about it and stuff.... Must of been some sort of crazy dream I had xD My apologies!

No problem. :P I've decided just to save up for a Raven tail--by the time I can afford it, I'll probably have mostly stopped growing. $3,000, here I come!