Thread: Monofin extentions?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar

Monofin extentions?

Hey!
    Im going to be buying a hydra monofin in the very near future. Im really exited about it, but the only problem is that im going to be making mostly spandex/neoprine tails due to a tight budget, and i really am not a huge fan of the hydras shape. since spandex is a very thin material, it will show off every curve of the monofin. so, i"ll need to put extentions on this baby.

All of the threads i found about monofin extentions were kinda hard for me to understand ( i dont know if im just dumb or what ).
    Could an one let me know how to put extentions on a monofin and/or what materials to do it with?
    Thanks a gallon,
    ~isis
    Your completely bonkers! But Ill tell you a secret, all the best people are.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar
    Ive seen a couple people do it with binders? Does that work?
    Your completely bonkers! But Ill tell you a secret, all the best people are.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I extended my monofin (Finis Wave) using zip ties and Gorilla tape. I took some newspaper, put my monofin on it and traced it, then designed a pattern around it. Then too my monofin and placed my ties down, tapes them on, then put a layer of tape all the way up the ties, then filled it in. Then I added a second layer down on top of the the first (sticky side to sticky side) Once it was all taped up, I put the pattern I made on it, and cut it out of the tape then sealed the edges with the tape.

Hope this helps.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

I used the same method as Comatose Angel/Mermaid Tula--I have both a written description and pictures in my tailmaking thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...Jade-s-attempt

If you have any questions about how I did mine feel free to ask

Some notes though: I cut off the very outer edge ridges on my monofin towards the end so the tape/zip ties would stay on (I really don't recommend cutting the inner ones at all), which made it lose some propulsion, so if you don't want to trim those it might be hard to make it wider than the fluke (although very simple to make it just longer or flare outward).
    Mermaid Jade
    (Instagram | Facebook | tumblr)