Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tail Travel

Transporting Your Tail

So I've recently come to the conclusion that I will be swimming mainly in the city near me which means I have to take the train to get there. My question is, how do you transport your tail? Do you have a bag that you keep it in? I don't want to have to walk around with a giant bag but I also don't want to cram it into a small bag and mess of the fluke.

What do you guys think?

Good question. I'm getting a tail from Mermaid Shelly, and I need to how how to keep it in luggage when my family and I go to FL in August. Any advice?
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I'm not sure how well it would work, but I wonder if anyone has tried a dress bag? Like the ones that you use to transport wedding dresses and such.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose_Angel View Post
    I'm not sure how well it would work, but I wonder if anyone has tried a dress bag? Like the ones that you use to transport wedding dresses and such.
    My dad has a few of these. My Merbellas tail doesn't fit in it at all. The only thing that I've found that works is a massive artist portfolio bag, and even then I have to pull in the two tips of my fluke so I can close and zip it. it works pretty well though, its rather sturdy.

That is a good question. I'm flying back to England later this year and would love to take my tail back with me to get some shots at some of my local rocky beaches and stuff. But am not sure how I would be able to transport it onto a plane.

Senior Member Pod of The South MermaidHyli's Avatar
    Add MermaidHyli on Facebook
    I have the angler fluke from Merbellas that I'm taking on my honeymoon to Belize and I have found that people wrap them in a trash bag, roll the body part, and then nice tuck it in a suitcase with padding around it. If there is a better way I'd love to know as well!

I wish I was away in Ingo
    Far away across the briny sea
    Sailing over deepest waters
    Where love nor care never trouble me

Just seen all the earlier posts with ideas on how to get tails across country and there are some good suggestions. I would have to check with the airline I will be flying with to see if they would allow me to check in my normal carry on bag plus the tail (in another form of bag.) Airline's seem to be getting really strict now with how many bags you are allowed on the plane and how big they are.

Ayla, can you tell us exactly what type of artist portfolio bag you have and where you got it? Maybe with a link, if you have one? I just got my new Finfolk silicone tail with a Competitor monofin and danged if I can figure out what I'm going to keep it or transport it in :P I tried Googling artist portfolio bags, but I couldn't find any that were quite big enough to even fit a Competitor into, much less a full silicone tail.

Add Mermaid Syrena on Facebook
    Yeah! I'm with Theobromine-- do you know the dimensions of your massive artist portfolio bag? Wouldn't want to get the wrong one.

Also, Spindrift-- how large is your fluke? Were you able to fit it into the monobag without bending the tips of the fluke over too much? (ouchies)
    User formerly known as "magickshewrote".

Syrena, Singapore's First Mermaid.“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl.

Join me at www.facebook.com/syrenaswims
    I'm Cara Clandestine (magickshewrote@gmail.com) on Facebook.

Does anyone know the mesurments of a basic Merbellas tail, folded up? I'm going to make my own mer bag ^^

I'd say you'll have to wait to receive yours, as your fluke is somewhat unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Photine View Post
    Here's the site that was printed on the bag. Perhaps from there?
    http://finswimworld.com/

Edit: Found it! The bag is $35 Here.
    Definitely handy to have later. Hopefully I'll have my tail by the time I make my trip to Belize for a wedding. My hubby said when he was there he found some amazing swimming holes.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Mermaid View Post
    Anyone interested in a tail carrying bag. I am currently in the process of building a prototype tail carrying bag. It is going to be made out of canvas, have backpack straps and will be able to be custom fitted for your tail. Once the prototype is finished I am going to send it to Raina for testing. She is going to use her tail from Raven to test it out. I'll keep everyone informed on the progress as I have seen so many people wanting a bag to carry their tails and all that is available is the weaker cloth ones that I keep finding.
    I would absolutely be interested in something like that when I get a silicone tail.
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

I fold my tail so that its only as big as the fluke, wrap it with a towel, and use some nylon straps with industrial velcro that I designed to work like backpack straps. It works well and the straps fit into my purse when not in use (along with my traveling tail dryer :P).

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr

Red face Traveling w/silicone Tail - Solution and an Airline

Because I absolutely love the customer service and their corporate headquarters is right down the street from me.

ALASKA AIRLINES!
    The only domestic airline I'll ever fly. Especially with a tail.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-24-09-09-18-1.png
Views: 459
Size:  315.2 KB

The image attachment I sent is of Mermaid Syrena's tail (Loreena fluke).
    Alaska airlines has always helped in accommodations even when I wasn't on their flights. It's great to hear them give advice on this and want to help out as well.

I hope this helps everyone

Mermaid tails are magical in themselves. Especially when the artist's put a little bit of themselves and a chunk of their lives into creating one for us Mers. I think as long as you're all your sweet selves, Alaska Airlines shouldn't have a problem accommodating you and your tails! (Everyone)

That's good because Southwest flat out told me I had to check it or they wouldn't let my tail fly. Gonna make it work but still, I'm worried.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Southwest is supposed to have decent customer service as well but they don't live up to it sometimes :/

Alaska/Horizon air for the future

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Oddly enough, I am flying Delta right now and put my tail in a garment bag (Lexan fluke, 24"x36", non-foldable). I talked with the baggage agent and they put my bag in in a big blue tray/box, and it should be just fine. I'll update you when I land!

Clarification: I had to check it, and it was $25.

Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Oddly enough, I am flying Delta right now and put my tail in a garment bag (Lexan fluke, 24"x36", non-foldable). I talked with the baggage agent and they put my bag in in a big blue tray/box, and it should be just fine. I'll update you when I land!

Clarification: I had to check it, and it was $25.
    -waits- let us know when you can!

I have such a cool idea for a mermaid suitcase that I want to make this month, but it looks like school is more than I expected and being only a mermaid right now (and in school) is really making things hard.
    I always have to pay more to bring my tail except when I boarded from a small airport in Charleston. That was the best. =)
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY