Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Server issues- the good news and the bad news.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I would love help with that art idea, draggersprez! Sounds like a fun idea,

Update long time coming for you guys! So the big hold up here was that Malinghi and I were debating if we should upgrade or if we should move hosts all together, and researching what each of those would mean. It seems with hosting companies there's a lot of love-or-hate with customers, so it was kind of dizzying for people who don't know much about the intricate workings of this kind of stuff. Then the renewal for the host we're with came up earlier than we thought, so we decided to just renew and upgrade with them and stick with that for a year, see how it goes.

So the day before yesterday I confirmed the plan with Malinghi. We're doing our research on what it takes to migrate servers, since we have to do that to upgrade. I've heard server migrations can be an absolute nightmare if they're not done without preparation, so we want to know what we're doing. I understand the servers have been especially bad lately, and I understand everyone's frustration, but we don't want to rush a migration. We're setting the goal of having it done by May. If anyone knows anything about doing server migrations please email Malinghi at malinghi@gmail.com or mernetwork@gmail.com.

The super awesome great news is that you guys donated enough money to cover $240 of the cost!! That's AWESOME you guys! We really can not thank you enough!!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Woo! So glad to hear that Iona!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Server issues- the good news and the bad news.

Can we still donate as we keep getting money? If nothing else it could go towards a fund for next year?

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Server issues- the good news and the bad news.

Of course! We still have $40 to go on this year's. The donations previous to this (when we moved from MerYuku) went to the hosting and vBulletin software. Any future donations will go to next year's hosting If we have extra to play around with at any point - I imagine this would be from possible sponsors or advertisements rather than donation money- the money will always go towards the site related expense. Like bringing in a web developer to optimize the site, getting better software for the site (like better chat software for example), advertising in one of the mermaid magazines, ect. We're always grateful for any donations and will make sure it goes to good use

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Yay! I know that the security software can also prevent people from posting too, sometimes posting too many links at once makes it think you're a spammer XD

So glad you got enough $$. How awesome is it that people love the site so much they donated?

Yeah I've had to explain the security mod issues to a lot of people. If you first post contains any links are automatically put on a watch list. I managed to turn off most of the automatic moderating it was doing (thus preventing posts from actually posting) but there are still kinks. Well less kinks, more tailoring the software to our needs, which are apparenlty much different than the needs of other forums that use the same mod. But it's better than hundreds of spammers crashing out servers and posting all over our forums!

It makes me beyond happy that people are pleased enough with the site to contribute! A lot of our freedoms that we enjoy here come form hosting the forum ourselves (rather than having a forum host site like Yuku). It's awesome that people want to support that and what we do for the community!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of Texas
    south tex ( rio grande valley , san antonio, denver
    Add lamplighter on Facebook
    Follow lamplighter on Tumblr
    I am new here but I have been looking at your members list. As a suggestion maybe a bit of maintenance could be in order. I noticed a lot of people signing into the site and nevershowing in up again. Never sending messages or doing to the site. Just taking space in the mainframe. After a time maybe a bit of deletion could be in order. Just an idea to toss around.

they do do that.

Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of Texas
    south tex ( rio grande valley , san antonio, denver
    Add lamplighter on Facebook
    Follow lamplighter on Tumblr
    there are some people listed that have not been in the site in over a year

many people lurk and choose not to post. As a member, you can't see all their activity. But the admins can. Some people only use the chatbox.