Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions Kids Ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    Azira, if it makes you feel better, ADULTS ask me that question..... In front of kids.... Like, wth?
    *facepalm*
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Azira View Post
    Iv'e been asked four times now, how do mermaids go potty.
    Do NOT look up "Whale fecal plume" on Google unless you want to know FAR too much about the subject.

Never mind where sand comes from:
    http://www.youtube.com/gATMD5RTYmk

And a personal favorite... Bubbles:
    http://www.youtube.com/OcwCYIfm6eA
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Do NOT look up "Whale fecal plume" on Google unless you want to know FAR too much about the subject.

Never mind where sand comes from:
    http://www.youtube.com/gATMD5RTYmk

And a personal favorite... Bubbles:
    http://www.youtube.com/OcwCYIfm6eA

Oy. That's some large whale excretion o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Azira View Post
    *Bump*

This has been really bugging me and I just don't know how to answer. Iv'e been asked four times now, how do mermaids go potty. What can I say. I get little kids think its funny, but it gets sorta awkward.
    I just gasp playfully and say, "I can't tell you THAT!" as if they asked me a very private question. After that, they usually drop it.
    Same answer when adults ask me the typical adult question. "How do mermaids...ya know...?"

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Has anyone told kids that it's only a costume? I don't mind at all letting kids believe in merfolk, but I feel like their parents would get angry or something if I told them I'm real. I'm a furry and do a lot of fursuiting, so I know all about 'ruining the magic' for kids, but in the case of mermaiding personally I feel like I can be like 'it's just a costume' or something.

Altho 'pretending' I'm a real mermaid is much more fun.

(I mean all that in the manner of I'm randomly swimming and kids ask stuff- not in a 'pro' way.)
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 03-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.

I've found that kids are far less credulous than people seem to think. It's only been the very tiny humans who think I'm actually part fish. I do tell kids I'm a mermaid (cuz I am), but when they ask where I got the tail, I usually just tell them. I also tell them about the kid-sized mermaid monofins they can get and that they should ask their parents for them for their birthday :P

I did once have a little boy (who couldn't have been more than four) yell at me "YOU'RE NOT REAL, YOU'RE FAKE! THAT'S MADE OF RUBBER!" His dad seemed REALLY embarrassed but I just laughed and said "kids these days".

Kids are weird.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    "Did you see the girl with the really big fin?"

This question still rings in my ears whenever I think of the first time I brought my monofin to the club pool. I think I may have a teeny tiny stalker!

"How do Mermaids go potty?"

"Oh, we don't use a potty- we just go straight into the water- You're swimming in it right now with me" - Name:  barf.gif
Views: 533
Size:  5.2 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    "How do Mermaids go potty?"

"Oh, we don't use a potty- we just go straight into the water- You're swimming in it right now with me" - Name:  barf.gif
Views: 533
Size:  5.2 KB
    Well that's what the ocean is! One gigantic toilet!

Whales go in it. Sharks go in it. Fish go in it.

And guess what the humans do, SWIM in it!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    When kids asks questions I tell a mix of the truth and fantasy. I shed my tail like a snake skin when I dry out, so when I'm in water I'm a mermaid, but on land I'm human. I'm an aquatic mammal because I'm warm blooded and breathe air like whales, but I'm not a cetacean, I'm my own weird category kind of like a platypus.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

Shedding the tail is a BRILLIANT solution!!

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
    ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

I recently wrote a post on Tumblr about Pro Mermaids & Skeptical Kids if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Etsy || Facebook || ModelMayhem || Tumblr || Instagram

Formerly known as Sea-Glass-Siren

Love your stories, I've been asked "do you live in the ocean? Do you eat Fish!? how do you get here? and of course are you a real mermaid? lol just a few but so precious my favorite from one boy, do you know the big old guy with that big sword posidon? lol so much fun with them , would make for a entertaining and fun book to read

My sister asked awhile ago (while watching Splash) "How do mermaids sleep because they can't lie down in water without floating away...." I told her perhaps they sleep in underwater caves where the current can't get them. Its something, right? Not as clever an answer as it could be but its something.
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies
    There's Never Been, Not Ever Before
    A Child Born of Sea & Shore

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMage108 View Post
    My sister asked awhile ago (while watching Splash) "How do mermaids sleep because they can't lie down in water without floating away...." I told her perhaps they sleep in underwater caves where the current can't get them. Its something, right? Not as clever an answer as it could be but its something.
    We lay in a sheltered cove and hold hands like sea otters so we don't float away! <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    my favorites:

"are you/ do you know a mermaid princess
    actually we kinda run on a democratic/republic system because the ocean is too big for one person to decide what to do

Adult: "are you a mermaid?"
    *sarcastic* naaaaaaah im bigfoot

"what happens if their are sharks?"
    eh, sharks are pretty chill. if you dont mess with them they dont mess with you

and i always say this one on any kids ask thread, wont be suprised if you're tired of me telling it but my most out there one was. "where do mer-babies come from?"

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla of Duluth View Post
    How did you get here if you can't walk? (mertender takes me where I need to go)

Do you grow legs if you go on land? (no, I'm a mermaid, not a shapeshifter)

Where/how do you sleep? (I either go up on the side of the pool and sleep on one of those lounge chairs, or I sleep on a pool floaty mattress thing)

What do you eat? (I eat whatever my mertender brings me, I love human food. When my human isn't around, I'll eat fish)

Are there other mermaids in the lake? (well besides me and my mom, I have yet to meet any, but I'm sure there are. The lake is a very big place.)

Where are your parents? (Mom went down to florida to get away from the harsh winter, and my dad is sailing along the coast somewhere until it warms up again)

How did you get the colors on your tail that you got? (when a mermaid is born, they're already mentally programmed with what their personality will be like when they grow up. a mermaid with a pink tail will be friendly and girly, green will be generous and loving, red will be flirty and talented, blue will be playful and tomboyish, purple will be laid back and relaxed, orange will be feisty and competitive, yellow will be happy and curious, white will be wise and sophisticated, and black will be mysterious and quiet. mermaids with multiple colors will have all the personalities of all their colors. For example, I'm mostly wise and sophisticated, which also makes me sort of mysterious and quiet. Being sophisticated makes you that way, it makes you very polite. My pink makes me friendly and girly. I love doing my hair and nails and I love talking to people about myself, and my purple is why I'm so lazy. I love to take naps.)

And of course, the usual "You have legs!!! I can feel them!" (no, those are my bones. (proceeds to pull out a perfectly drawn diagram of a mermaid with two femurs, two shin bones, and a tail bone where the shin bones meet at the bottom.) See? we have bones just like you, but they're joined at the bottom down there. This is how I move my tail. Imagine trying to move your legs without bones. It would be really hard!)

Edit: Formatting.
    Omg yes. I am totally stealing that bones bit xD

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Calypso View Post
    Typically the first question I get is "Are you real?" And its many variants.
    "I can feel your legs!" Mermaids and humans have similar bones, but different skin.
    "Where did you get your tail?" I was born with it, silly!
    "What do you eat?" I typically say 'sea plants' because what kid wants to picture Ariel eating Flounder?
    "Why are you wearing makeup/where did you get your jewelry?" Mermaids like make up too, and I made it/a human friend gave it to me!
    "Can you breathe underwater?" Yes, but the chemicals they put in pools make it hard so I have to get air every now and then.
    "You aren't a real mermaid, you don't look like one!" Have you ever met another mermaid before? How do you know what they look like?
    And, a personal favorite, one little girl asked the above question and answered yes when I'd asked if she'd seen a real mer before. Turns out she'd seen Mermaid Melissa perform in real life in an amazing silicone tail, while I was swimming about the YMCA in a homemade fabric one. I was busted!
    Hahaha that's priceless!!!
    Seriously the one thing I am super excited about is talking to kids as a mermaid. I convinced my niece forever ago that I had snow white's powers (I modeled with wolves before and she asked how I got the wolf to look pretty, so I said I asked nicely in wolf speak hahaha).

I just love the whimsy in kids and can't wait to see their reactions 💖

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    I just recently did a party with my neoprene tail, and one little boy kept asking "why are you so squishy?"
    His ENTIRE reasoning that I wasn't real came from the fact that my tail was "too squishy".

~~FableMade Studio ~~