Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mer-Writers Thread

Oh come on, getting a badge and a book from Paramount sounds really cool - I would have been ecstatic if that happened to me at 12 lol. I wanna have a Star Trek Writer's Guide! What kind of stuff was in it?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Question for y'all.

As you know, when people discuss their tails on this forum, people refer to the fluke of their tails. In nature, in science, they're referred to as flukes. Plural. The left or the right are each referred to as fluke.

How do you prefer to see them referred to in relation to mermaids?

@Spindrift--It was about ten mimeograph pages stapled together. It was mostly a guide to each major character, the Federation and the major alien races. It was mainly to keep writers within the bounds put together by Roddenberry and the 50 minute limit.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Oh, I've always called it a fluke, but now that I know that it's 2, it makes sense. We have two feet. Even if they're fused, they're probably still semi separate pieces.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    @Spindrift--It was about ten mimeograph pages stapled together. It was mostly a guide to each major character, the Federation and the major alien races. It was mainly to keep writers within the bounds put together by Roddenberry and the 50 minute limit.
    I'm so envious. I freaking love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Oh, I've always called it a fluke, but now that I know that it's 2, it makes sense. We have two feet. Even if they're fused, they're probably still semi separate pieces.
    I've been writing flukes... and it feels wrong. lol I hope I get more feedback tomorrow.

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    Question for y'all.

As you know, when people discuss their tails on this forum, people refer to the fluke of their tails. In nature, in science, they're referred to as flukes. Plural. The left or the right are each referred to as fluke.

How do you prefer to see them referred to in relation to mermaids?
    Hi Deepblue! Your right about cetaceans having flukes, a left and right fluke formed from connective tissue. There's no bone in a dolphin or whale's flukes. Sharks and fish have a caudal fin, unless the fish has been bred to have two caudal fins, like some bettas. As a kid, and even now, I will call my fins "flippers". Strictly speaking flippers are the pectoral appendages, similar to our hands. Cetacean flippers do have bone, cartilage and connective tissue.

I pose a thought: even tho cetaceans have two distal appendages used for locomotion, we are combining our feet into a single monofin, hence calling our mermaid tail "propulsion unit" (LOL!) a fluke. I kinda smile at the thought, because when I swam at Weeki Wachee, we called our tails just "tails". There was no differentiation to the anatomy of our costume. We wore a "suit and tail" and we used fins in the tail. Now they wear a top and tail, and still use fins!

So, I guess there is no real answer in my book. Flukes is really the correct terminology. Fins or flippers are also correct, for side appendages. I think using the term "fluke" already has a foot-hold!

LOL with distorted Bubble 's from giggles!
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

I finished. It finished at 52 pages. Short story length, I suppose. Perhaps a little long for a short story, maybe it's a novella. Turned out to have more romance than planned. I already have a second part planned.

It's just a first draft. I need to read, rewrite, flesh some things out. And then I think I'll find a writer's site to post it to, because I'm not thinking I'm skilled enough to self-publish this.

I've loved every moment of writing it.

Oh, and I have to come up with a title. ha.

Has anyone here used writing.com to post their work?

I don't want to assume that my first short story after all these years is good enough to self-publish. But I'd like it hosted somewhere with copyright protections, and that site does that. That way I can share the link in case someone wants to read it.

I have friends proofreading right now. I am waiting to hear back from two of them. One finished it and said it was beautiful, which is awesome.

I didn't intend to write a romance, but it totally ended up that way.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I was thinking about posting it on Wattpad. It also has a app version
    Your imagination is your only limit

I hadn't heard of Wattpad. Thank you, I'll look into it.

Have you noticed that as a writer, we often think things that, if overheard, would get us arrested?

Or sometimes, if you think out loud, something could REALLY come across wrong. Heaven forbid anyone should get a hold of your search history with the wrong idea.

For me, just now, it was, "Damn. People don't sink that fast, he has to be weighted."

n/a
    Last edited by tealmermaid; 04-21-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Huh I just found this thread. I just finished my novel late May at 50,100 words! It was such an amazing feeling except I'm now doing what I call "epic edits" in which I'm filling in a lot of plot and hoping to add at least 30,000 more words. It also has nothing to do with mermaids but I thought I'd like to share, especially since that was part of the reason I went missing from this forum for so long.

Also, deepblue, I know what you mean! Me and my friend often discuss how many people we've "killed" in our respective stories. ^.^
    Last edited by Mermaid Jewel; 07-10-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Almost wrote 5,100 instead of 50,100. Oops.
    Mermaid Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    Chrome's "incognito" function proves useful when I'm looking up ideas to write about. I don't like leaving a virtual paper trail for art and writing ideas.
    I actually leave my web search history off, but I don't really mind a basic cookies trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jewel View Post
    Huh I just found this thread. I just finished my novel late May at 50,100 words! It was such an amazing feeling except I'm now doing what I call "epic edits" in which I'm filling in a lot of plot and hoping to add at least 30,000 more words. It also has nothing to do with mermaids but I thought I'd like to share, especially since that was part of the reason I went missing from this forum for so long.
    Nice! I just did my final rewrite/ epic edit (I like that) and it added three pages. Part two, book two, whatever I might call it is already started. I have to see if my friends who proofread for me can get to it soon, and after their feedback, I'm going to post it to writing.com. I ended at just over 26,000 words, and I'm astounded because it's been forever since I did anything more than a 30 minute challenge, and those only rarely.

My gods do I feel back to my nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jewel
    Also, deepblue, I know what you mean! Me and my friend often discuss how many people we've "killed" in our respective stories. ^.^
    I can't believe I didn't kill anyone in this story. Almost did... but it was an accident.
    Last edited by deepblue; 07-13-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Pfft. Writing.com seems like a great place to show your work, but anything over 5kb needs a membership. While this is totaly fair, I can't do it for at least two weeks. Argh.

Follow Sherl On Twitter
    50,100 words, Mermaid Jewel? Wow.

I've written a couple of drafts each for one or two chapters of two separate ideas I have. Only one is mer-related, though. I haven't been working on them for quite a while because schoolwork is stealing my writing... LOL. It does not help that the name of the course I'm studying in has the word 'writing' in it! I only have a Hunger Games fan fiction to my name, which placed 2nd in a short story competition last June.
    Always in need of Vitamin Sea!

Writing.com offered a 50% off deal, so I took it. I had to put the story in two parts due to space. All together it's 58 pages. A novella, apparently.

So, this feels incredibly daunting.

Edit- I'm going to work on it some more.

Last edited by deepblue; 07-20-2013 at 02:22 AM.

I've been working on a 3 novel sci-fi/fantasy series called "The King Who Never Laughed" for the last 5 years.
    I also write fanfiction off and on. One particular fanfiction series I'm working on has a mermaid as a main character and her story is in 3 parts (Leroux/Kay POTO, Doctor Who & H2O).

Senior Member Pod of Oceania mermaidwhisperer's Avatar
    Follow mermaidwhisperer On Twitter Add mermaidwhisperer on Facebook Add mermaidwhisperer on Google+
    Follow mermaidwhisperer on Tumblr
    I'm so used to Facebook when you can 'like' posts. I was having a giggle over the star trek-big budget 13 year old boy thing. That's awesome. Gotta dream big to be big.

Well I'm Sam and I've been writing since I was about 6. I was always the girl who told the ghost stories at slumber parties and scared the other girls home. In fact I made up a story about a fictional haunting here in Mackay ( based on this actual ghost nun who haunts the most haunted house in the world, Borley Rectory) and it's now an urban legend here that a nun haunts the cliff and will fling you onto the rocks at Lambert's Beach if you're up there alone! I made that story up when I was about 8! Lol! And I'm 30 now and it's still going strong
    I was listening to the radio on last year's Blue Moon, and they were calling for people to accompany the hosts to the look-out for the blue moon to see the 'blue-nun'. The hosts were actually friends of mine so I ended up having the biggest giggle over it! Weird stuff like that happens to me all the time-that's why I think I was born to be a writer.
    Anyway I used to write and write and then read the stories back six months later and cringe. I decided that if I didn't want to sound like The Baby-Sitters Club, I better actually expand a bit. So I made myself read the top 100 books of all time in one year and it totally opened my mind up.People sometimes struggle to take me seriously about my writing-I was a cheerleader (in my twenties, lol) and I do roller-derby and circus arts and surfing and I just wrapped up a production of Hairspray in which I played the despicable Amber Von Tussle-but ever since I read that list I've been determined to try my hardest at everything I do and get something worth writing about I said I'd live until I was 30-THEN start writing seriously
    I got the original concept for The Marked Ones while having an argument with a friend. We used to pretend to be mermaids when we were little, as we grew up 100 feet from a beach AND a resort, and at the end of 2011 she posted this pic, which you might have seen-comparing mermaids unfavourably to whales. Calling them barren etc etc.
    It really got me thinking about the pre-conceived notions about mermaids, and how there's never been much lore about them, as there is with vampires and so on. I decided that I wanted to be the one to attempt to define them in a way everyone could relate to but most of all-for adults. It was so hard to wrap my head around how they could come to be, their biology, their genealogy and all that, that I researched and plotted for close to 6 months. Then I was surfing and a tiger shark came up 6 feet behind me and even though I freaked I got away from him without incident and suddenly-I had a scene. I sat down and wrote the trilogy ion 3 months. That was a year ago. I've been trying to get it published since January but agents kept saying : 'This is awesome...but it'd be better with YA. Or Vampires.' Over and over again. I peaked out two weeks ago and uploaded it to Kindle and it is taking off so fast! I have my entire town behind me! I'm getting calls from publishers (not the right one yet) and have been in three newspapers and got all fussed over at a writing conference I went to in the Whitsunday's last week. It's going so well that it's blowing my mind a little. I got a review today that had me in tears-in a good way-from some critic/blogger who rated me 4/5 and expressed getting the exact sentiments from it that I intended, so that's fabulous. I'm grinning so much that I look like I slept with a coathanger in my mouth, lol.

So that's me and my writing. It's hard and it's stressful and it feels like I've uploaded my soul to the net to be picked apart but...that's the risk we take It's all still so fresh to me-I'm getting 4 hours sleep trying to balance editing the other 2 books with promoting this one. I'm supposed when I talk I don't say : 'dub, dub, dub,' ha ha. I'm actually very nervous discussing it with mer-network folk. I'm sure you all have your own mermaid theories so I've probably run quite a risk of offending some people I don't have a tail or anything like that, but I am a coastal girl and they've always been my little icon.
    I would like a tail though! In a town like this I'd get 'looks' but I just played a racist bigot in Hairspray so that's already wrecked my rep. Lol I'm known for being a bit random. Besides-we get maybe 20 awesome surf days a year and the rest of the time it's just beautiful water so it would be fun to have another reason to get in!
    Mind you...we have a LOT of sharks here. A LOT. Now that I know the chances of actually bumping into an 8ft man-eater are 1 in 20 for me now, I'm a bit : 'Gulp.'

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    So, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a round robin with me.
    We could pick a setting, establish some natural laws that must be obeyed, and then write like crazy merfolk.
    Anymer interested?
    And Whisper, I SO want to read your books!
    I am bookworm central!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.