Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Mer-Resort Planning Committee

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Non mers must pay a hefty fee to visit. And we'll have other mers who live on site that can provide services like tour guides, food gatherers/farmers, security mers, crafters and artisans etc.

I love these ideas so much, I would seriously help out in any way I could!

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    I have not seen this particular video, before. So sad. Imagine if Disney World reopened as Mermaid's Cove from Peter Pan.

(Formerly known as Æolius)

Interesting video I diddnt even know river country existed :o
    Magic is key to all life when we are children we feel it all around us but as we grow older it fades away however there are few where it stays with us and it is our job to remind everyone it's still there

Quote Originally Posted by Mercelien View Post
    Interesting video I diddnt even know river country existed :o
    http://goo.gl/maps/78Zol

Hmm I dont mind an island but that one that was brought up was in a dangerous area. I would love an under water building but thats way out of the question, even though itd be beautiful to watch the ocean life.

Quote Originally Posted by drucilla View Post
    I would love an under water building but thats way out of the question, even though itd be beautiful to watch the ocean life.
    H2OME

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    Non mers must pay a hefty fee to visit. And we'll have other mers who live on site that can provide services like tour guides, food gatherers/farmers, security mers, crafters and artisans etc.

i REALLY like that idea! I want to be a face painter! ... but i could also do administrative stuff as well :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

I would TOTALLY be a tour guide or something and it probably won't officially happen for a couple years but once it happens id probably be living on my own anyways

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

you do realise with that plan that one person will have to lay out the costs and then recoup money from us visiting over time, and likely never make the money back due to ongoing maintanence costs? Sorry to sound like a party pooper but trying to be realistic and make sure people have thought about the viability of these ideas and the financial implications of each option. There's a difference between dreaming and scheming up these elaborate ideas but sadly the world comes down to money. If you ever want these things to actually happen then they need to work out financially in the long-term otherwise you will be forcing the business and possibly one named owner to go bankrupt if or when these ideas fail. (also the idea of charging non-mers huge fees to use it means that no non-mers would come. They'd just go elsewhere.)

I think there are some really great ideas and I do really love the idea of setting a place up but I want to make sure we can set something up that will last and be worth all the effort and money that it would take to do.

perhaps we should all start doing the lottery? ;P
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

I think a sailboat is also a possible idea for a "Merresort". A schooner costs only 300.000€ and have up to 25 bunks. Enough for a mercrew and some passenger. We can throw the anchor in bays or reefs and can show the unterwater nature.
    User formerly known as "NordNixe".

How about an abandoned site that was once home to the Virginia Renaissance Faire? More Pictures.
    $3.5 Million, 162 Acres.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    I'm also digging the sail-boat idea. You get a big enough one with plenty of berthing, it would work great. Problem would be having to train a permanent crew to maintain it.

Plus- it would solve the issue of location. We would be able to sail from port to port. Sorta like a Mer-Cruise.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

It's been awhile since we daydreamed about this, so I copied my reply from another thread. I found this one a few weeks ago:
    "Come play where the Indians played, on your own 40 acre island with an Indian Mound over 8 feet in elevation. Find artifacts on your oyster shell beach like arrowheads, pottery, etc. It is approximately one half mile to electricity on Pasco Island. Hangover Island is centrally located between the Crystal River and the Homosassa River on the beautiful Saint Martins River. Crystal River is home of the world's largest Manatee sanctuary; all the local waterways have manatee. They migrate right past Hangover Island. The wildlife and fish populations abound, that's why they call this The Nature Coast of Florida. The St. Martins River has a marked channel - it is approximately 2 miles to the Gulf of Mexico and one mile to the town of Ozello. The quaint waterfront town of Ozello is located approximately 30 minutes to Ocala, 1 hour from Tampa, 2 hours from Orlando (Disneyworld)." Hangover Island

Attachment 38694
    Open in Google Maps

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Wow! Never saw this thread when it was active but man am I interested! A lot of the million dollar ideas though just really arent feasible (and probably the reason why they haven't happened yet). That island you just posted is a nice chunk of land for the cost though. The website doesn't say if it has (or is even able to support) structures on it, so we'd need to find out that, electricity and freshwater first. You could really for now just buy the island, set up some yurts, a B&B style building, and get a touring boat and do that mermaid key idea. Charge people to come stay (discounted or even free stay for mers who will work to run the place and swim as attractions) and do dolphin/manatee tours as well. As the place gets bigger you could expand to a more resort style building, add a small spa (seaweed wraps and saltwater scrubs )create an amazing natural indoor/outdoor pool and so on and so forth as time goes on.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

http://www.boredpanda.com/italy-give...-free-castles/
    I saw this and immediately thought of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    User previously known as "MermaidBonny".

Too bad it has to be given back to the government after a few years otherwise I would sign up

This is such a good idea! I firmly believe I will become a millionaire some day
    ~ Finland, the land of a thousand lakes and the midnight sun ~

Here in PR there are decently priced areas of land all over but most are really for building up yourself. I heard there was a private island in Salinas but im not sure if it has already been bought and whatnot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    User previously known as "MermaidBonny".

The best option for a resort would be on a boat move it around so you get the best season temps and ocean conditions. For any resort to even break even its a huge investment.
    Another more affordable option is to charter and make it Mer only type of cruise and you can even determine what the menu would be and activities.