Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mermaids and sign language

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kali View Post
    If you want to learn how to communicate in ASL, Deaf Chats are a great place to learn.
    Hey Mermaid Kali,

Very good point.

So I got on meetup.com, searched on "sign language" and lo and behold, the following popped up.

http://www.meetup.com/TorontoASLClub/

Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    Hmmm. Look like a few mers have thought about the idea of an MSL.

Would anybody be interested in perhaps participating in a thread specifically about development of Mer Sign Language? (or whatever it ends up being called)

There are a number of housekeeping topics that would have to be resolved first, such as

1. Name of the language, both in sign and in English (and other spoken languages)
    2. Whether to base it on an existing land-based sign language, or whether it should be created de novo
    3. How the language could be taught (videos posted here, seminars at mer-meetings?)
    4. Whether there should be a language regulator like many languages have (such as Spanish, French & Russian) or should it be a libertarian free-for-all (like English, for example?)

I'm up for this. Anyone else?
    This post is a few months old but I wanted to know if this ever got developed. I would LOVE to help with creating signs and testing and learning and being an overall dummy for the language. I would realy LOVE to see something universal(ish)
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    This post is a few months old but I wanted to know if this ever got developed. I would LOVE to help with creating signs and testing and learning and being an overall dummy for the language. I would realy LOVE to see something universal(ish)
    I think that it would help to base it on American Sign Language. Also, since this would be a new language and a constructed language and since we all live pretty far apart, there probably should be a regulator, at least in the beginning. That way, we could prevent different dialects of mer sign language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

I think that it would help to base it on American Sign Language. Also, since this would be a new language and a constructed language and since we all live pretty far apart, there probably should be a regulator, at least in the beginning. That way, we could prevent different dialects of mer sign language.

maybe to begin with, but even ASL has dialects. I think that's part of what makes it super cool and unique - it evolves over time to fit the needs of the signer. But it could get super confusing xD

I suppose it would be pretty cool if every pod had their own dialect of mer sign language, though!

I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

I'm studying to be an ASL interpreter and with my mermaiding skills my ultimate goal is to work with Deaf/hoh kids.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbutterflywings View Post
    I'm studying to be an ASL interpreter and with my mermaiding skills my ultimate goal is to work with Deaf/hoh kids.

That's so awesome! I wish that we lived nearby. Having another mermaid to swim with and a friend to sign with would be a dream come true!
    P.S. I'm the president of the ASL club at my school.

That's so awesome! I wish that we lived nearby. Having another mermaid to swim with and a friend to sign with would be a dream come true!
    That would be pretty awesome!

Mermaid Kali how have we not met yet? I was going to school for ASL/English interpreting. I've since changed my major but still use ASL as often as I can and love the Deaf community!

Wow, for real?! Do you go to Deaf Chats around here?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I used to go in South Jersey. Are you still in the Oranges? That's a solid hour and a half north of me.
    Wow, for real?! Do you go to Deaf Chats around here?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Sorry for reviving this dead thread but anyone know any free resources for learning ASL? I've been losing my hearing for years now and finally i am nearly completely dead I my right ear and would love to learn so i can communicate with others when/if my hearing completely goes and i can communicate with ppl and children who need it. But i don't have the time to take classes at my uni since I'm in my last year and hauling tail to finish

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Hey, Mermaid Momo!

I've been learning/teaching ASL for a few years, and I've always found the absolute best resource to be in-person communication. The second best is the Internet! I would recommend googling individual words and watching ASL-related YouTube videos, then once you have a basic grasp, see if you can find a Deaf Chat near you. You can also watch Switched at Birth, but depending on where you live, there may be some regional signs that differ because Switched at Birth was filmed in California. Always remember to try to pick up as much as you can from those who are Deaf. Even if you know a different sign for something, it's best to be able to know them all.

Momo, I dont know exactly where you are in the valley but there is a Deaf/ASL Meetup I believe weekly at Green and Nami on 7th St. The best way to learn is to interact with fluid users of any language.
    Last edited by theMerFanc; 07-20-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    There's some really good videos on youtube for learning sign language ( I learn for work but also it can be used underwater XD) (i use BSL tho so try looking up ASL on youtube)