Thread: Are You "Otherkin," a "Therian," or a Spiritual "Merperson?, i.e. a "real" mermaid?"

Senior Member Pod of Cali AtlantisDreamer's Avatar
    Follow AtlantisDreamer On Twitter Add AtlantisDreamer on Facebook
    Visit AtlantisDreamer's Vimeo Channel

Question Are You "Otherkin," a "Therian," or a Spiritual "Merperson?, i.e. a "real" mermaid?"

I'm curious as to how many people who enjoy mermaiding are also self-identified Otherkin? Here is a definition and explanation of the terminology and what I'm referring to,

"Otherkin are a community of people who see themselves as partially or entirely non-human. They contend that they are, in spirit if not in body,[2] not human. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a nonhuman soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor.[1] According to Joseph Laycock, "scholarship has framed this claim as religious because it is frequently supported by a framework of metaphysical beliefs."[3] Not all otherkin necessarily share these beliefs; some may simply prefer to identify as non-human.

Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures,[4] with others identifying as creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, robots or androids, elves, fairies, sprites, plants, and aliens.[5][6][7][8] Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel/alternative universes, which would explain the existence and the possibility to relate to fantastical beings and even fictional characters.[9]
    With regards to their online communities, otherkin largely function without formal authority structures, and mostly focus on support and information gathering, often dividing into more specific groups based on kintype.[9] There are occasional offline gathers, but the otherkin network is an almost entirely online phenomenon.[9]
    Some otherkin (such as elvenkin) claim they are allergic to iron (and products of modern technology), whilst other otherkin (such as dragonkin) claim that having no allergies is a sign of being an otherkin.[6] Some otherkin also claim to be especially empathic and attuned to nature.[6] Some claim to be able to shapeshift mentally or astrally—meaning that they experience the sense of being in their particular form while not actually changing physically.[1][10]
    The therian and vampire subcultures are related to the otherkin community, and are considered part of it by most otherkin, but are culturally and historically distinct movements of their own despite some overlap in membership.[1]"

About therians and therianthropy,

"What is a Therianthrope?

Generally accepted Definition:

A person who is, feels, or believes he/she is a non-human animal (not physically). The connection can be spiritual or logical.
    A Therianthrope is someone who truly believes he is earthen animal (which is not to be confused with otherkin which is a person who believes he is perhaps a dragon or what not; still the same subject though). Some believe that when the animal dies its soul can harvest itself in another body at birth or that the souls merge with theirs, others believe it is just identity disorder, or even just the complexity of the human brain. There are many other ideas as to why the person believes he or she is a therianthrope."

So what's everyone's opinion on this phenomenon?
    I personally have identified as a spiritual "Merperson" which, I suppose falls under the category of Otherkin, since I was a teenager. Getting my tail will be a highly spiritual experience for me...
    ~ Merlina ~

Natalie D. Davis, R.H.

natalie@davisspiritualcare.com
    www.DavisSpiritualCare.com
    TheMermaidPriestess.com

Licensed & Board Certified Registered Healer
    Licensed Angel Therapy Practitioner®
    Licensed Past Life Healer®
    Certified Advanced Angel Tarot and Oracle Card Reader™
    Certified [in] Indigo Awakening Studies™

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantisDreamer View Post
    So what's everyone's opinion on this phenomenon?
    People in past times (and other cultures, for example druidic/shamanistic ones) have felt a much deeper connection with nature and all her manifestations than the modern man of "civilisation" (which in most cases, just means destruction of nature).

Therefore, I don't find it odd to feel a kinship with certain animals or plants- real ones, extinct ones or mythological ones, that doesn't really matter.
    The idea of a "totem animal" is very old.
    Also, in pagan/wiccan beliefs, all lifeforms on earth are connected anyway, so I think this is why some people feel so close to certain parts of nature and/or animals.
    Maybe in the past, some of the beings that are now considered myth were real.
    So that might be why people also feel connected to "mythological" concepts.

Considering the terrible destruction man has wrought on the planet and all its inhabitants, it's not hard to fathom why some would be alienated by their own species, and rather belong to a different one.

However, the guys who really think they are the real deal of whatever (I used to hang out a decade or so ago on a website full of people believing they were "true" vampires and stuff) are just nutcases.
    You'll easily spot them when they claim to have "powers" of some kind, which they clearly don't have though

Best to avoid.

Senior Member Pod of Cali AtlantisDreamer's Avatar
    Follow AtlantisDreamer On Twitter Add AtlantisDreamer on Facebook
    Visit AtlantisDreamer's Vimeo Channel
    Indeed. I've ran into the vampyre people myself, and actually recently saw a post on a forum about being a werewolf and claiming to actually have physical shifts. I agree with your term, "nutcases," and I actually think that people who are that far into that stuff may have some sort of psychological or psychiatric illness. As for pagan beliefs, I'm Druid (neo or "recon") - I'm a member of the OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids), the largest neo-Druidic order based out of the UK based primarily on the teachings of famous author and Chosen Chief of the OBOD, Philip Carr-Gomm. With that in mind, I'm really familiar with what you're saying about animal totems, nature and The Goddess as She's viewed in most Pagan paths.
    ~ Merlina ~

Natalie D. Davis, R.H.

natalie@davisspiritualcare.com
    www.DavisSpiritualCare.com
    TheMermaidPriestess.com

Licensed & Board Certified Registered Healer
    Licensed Angel Therapy Practitioner®
    Licensed Past Life Healer®
    Certified Advanced Angel Tarot and Oracle Card Reader™
    Certified [in] Indigo Awakening Studies™

I am Mythkin and Fictionkin. My Fictionkin is unrelated to this community however, as you may have guessed, the Afanc is my Mythkin identity. While I am not fully a 'mermaid', the Afanc is my 'Mersona" as well as the inspiration for the tail I am working on.

(On another note, I have debated joining the OBOD myself but I am worried about the money spending aspect. Would you say it is worth it?)
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I definitely used to fall into this category. When I was a child I believed that I had special powers (and to an extent I did, but I won't go into that now because ). But I definitely identified as nonhuman. When I was a child, I was a cat. I had cats and I studied them, learning how to walk like them, meow, purr, and do that laying-crouching thing that seems uncomfortable to others but is comfy to me. In middle school, when I got into mermaids and really started seeing spirits and having prophetic dreams, I was definitely psychic/magical. I was just inherently different from everyone else. What happened was that another "mystic" person in my family told my Christian mom about one of my spirit friends and they forced me to say some things that made not only the spirits go away, but also a huge part of my mysticism. At the time, I thought that it was just the struggles of growing up that ripped the magic out of me, but eventually I put two and two together. All if that is to say that, at one time, I would have identified as a: spiritual cat, dragon, fairy, mermaid... Or just generally otherworldly (maybe a shapeshifter) A part of me still would identify as those things, but the feeling of magic in me is sadly lower than it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kali View Post
    I definitely used to fall into this category. When I was a child I believed that I had special powers (and to an extent I did, but I won't go into that now because ). But I definitely identified as nonhuman. When I was a child, I was a cat. I had cats and I studied them, learning how to walk like them, meow, purr, and do that laying-crouching thing that seems uncomfortable to others but is comfy to me. In middle school, when I got into mermaids and really started seeing spirits and having prophetic dreams, I was definitely psychic/magical. I was just inherently different from everyone else. What happened was that another "mystic" person in my family told my Christian mom about one of my spirit friends and they forced me to say some things that made not only the spirits go away, but also a huge part of my mysticism. At the time, I thought that it was just the struggles of growing up that ripped the magic out of me, but eventually I put two and two together. All if that is to say that, at one time, I would have identified as a: spiritual cat, dragon, fairy, mermaid... Or just generally otherworldly (maybe a shapeshifter) A part of me still would identify as those things, but the feeling of magic in me is sadly lower than it used to be.
    So bring it back! If it was there at one point it can be there again. Be your own person. If that is what you want - to have those magical experiences - then have them. Kindle the relationship you used to have and restart the fire!

Thank you! You are the best and that is amazing advice.

I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

I am a therian, as well as fictionkin. Funnily enough, neither of them have much to do with my being merfolk.

I guess the closest would be that I am a pterosaur therian, specifically a plunge-diving species that spent much of the time on or under water. (if only we had something that let humans imitate wind-propelled diving behavior. I'd be in heaven)

My mer-sona, however, is just that. A persona, like my fursona in the furry fandom.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes The Magic Crafter's Avatar
    Follow The Magic Crafter On Twitter Add The Magic Crafter on Facebook Add The Magic Crafter on Google+
    Visit The Magic Crafter's Youtube Channel
    I'll admit it, I've never been one to feel... right? In my own skin. And when I was young, I truly believed that I was "Dragonkin." It wasn't that I thought I could breathe fire or that I could fly, but that I could "feel" this radiating power within myself. Of course, looking back, that "radiating power" was probably adrenaline, the release of endorphins, or some sort of perfectly normal thing that I simply didn't understand at the moment, but you know...

Also, I identified more with dragons (and still do! ) more than I did with most people. I think this had mostly to do with the fact that, even when I was in between friendships (and I was ALWAYS in between friendships), that I would always have my imagination, and my army of dragon figurines to comfort me. We were bffs! Hahaha!
    I used to have a saying too, that I used to chant to myself when I was younger. I thought it would someday turn me into my "true form," and used to say it almost every night. It went...:

"Sunset, moonrise. Then you'll see through Dragon eyes."

Sometimes I still say it out of habit, but not because I think it's gonna make me pop a tail or anything!

While I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am a human, it would be a lie to say that I don't sometimes feel like an Otherkin. I never knew it had a name though. I am severely socially anxious, and have been that way since... forever? And while I do not have the best relationship with other large mammals, plants, cats, fish, spiders, and insects get along with me like PB & J (especially ladybugs!!! Ahahahaha! No joke... they hunt me down... AND THEY FIND ME! Aaaahahaha!!!). I also get really weird urges sometimes... like to roll in the grass... or smell tree-branches... and I literally have dreams about pouncing on, and hunting & catching rodents (with my hands...) almost every night. My sense of time is impeccable too, not that I suppose that really means anything? Again, not really sure if I'm "Otherkin," or if I'm just weird!

Suppose I'll just label myself as "me," and be done with it! XD

But... very interesting post! I'm afraid I might have trailed on about it a touch long, due to my brain being mush... so a lot of what I said above may not make much sense... Oops! I tried! But yeah! Very interesting indeed!
    New YouTube Videos Every Week!!
    I can be found at www.TheMagicCrafter.com

This is my tail!
    ~*~ Please call me "Phantom!" ~*~

Quote Originally Posted by The Mallet Island Mermaid View Post
    I'll admit it, I've never been one to feel... right? In my own skin. And when I was young, I truly believed that I was "Dragonkin." It wasn't that I thought I could breathe fire or that I could fly, but that I could "feel" this radiating power within myself. Of course, looking back, that "radiating power" was probably adrenaline, the release of endorphins, or some sort of perfectly normal thing that I simply didn't understand at the moment, but you know...

Also, I identified more with dragons (and still do! ) more than I did with most people. I think this had mostly to do with the fact that, even when I was in between friendships (and I was ALWAYS in between friendships), that I would always have my imagination, and my army of dragon figurines to comfort me. We were bffs! Hahaha!
    I used to have a saying too, that I used to chant to myself when I was younger. I thought it would someday turn me into my "true form," and used to say it almost every night. It went...:

"Sunset, moonrise. Then you'll see through Dragon eyes."

Sometimes I still say it out of habit, but not because I think it's gonna make me pop a tail or anything!

While I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am a human, it would be a lie to say that I don't sometimes feel like an Otherkin. I never knew it had a name though. I am severely socially anxious, and have been that way since... forever? And while I do not have the best relationship with other large mammals, plants, cats, fish, spiders, and insects get along with me like PB & J (especially ladybugs!!! Ahahahaha! No joke... they hunt me down... AND THEY FIND ME! Aaaahahaha!!!). I also get really weird urges sometimes... like to roll in the grass... or smell tree-branches... and I literally have dreams about pouncing on, and hunting & catching rodents (with my hands...) almost every night. My sense of time is impeccable too, not that I suppose that really means anything? Again, not really sure if I'm "Otherkin," or if I'm just weird!

Suppose I'll just label myself as "me," and be done with it! XD

But... very interesting post! I'm afraid I might have trailed on about it a touch long, due to my brain being mush... so a lot of what I said above may not make much sense... Oops! I tried! But yeah! Very interesting indeed!
    I feel you, seriously! I didn't say it in my post, but I felt the same way when i was younger. Like you, I came to terms with being a human. But I never felt it. I always felt like I was something else in human skin. I felt that same "radiating power". I don't know if I would call myself Otherkin though. I usually just called myself "Powerful". Wouldn't be surprised if I started astral projecting as a cat or a dragon one day, though.

Well all Therians and Otherkin know they are in a human body and know they can't fly or breath fire or anything like that, no one is trying to convince anyone that they can. Being Otherkin just means exactly as you desc ones -you don't feel how man on the inside. Weather you feel like you have wings or webbed fingers or a giant tail or whatever, you don't feel right in your human form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had never heard of the term Otherkin or Therian before this thread, but this thread inspired me to do some research, and I found a forum called therian-wilderness. I created an account there and everyone urged me to do meditation and soul-searching and to reflect on my opinions and beliefs and why I held them. They explained to me the difference between being truly therian/otherkin or a performer/roleplayer/cosplayer, etc: the difference between identifying AS something and identifying WITH something. I spent a number of months trying to prove that I was a cat therian, but my experiences with my felinity didn't quite match up with therianthropy and many of the older forum members gently pointed this out while still encouraging me to identify with whatever I felt was most myself. At one point, I casually mentioned that I was a mermaid, and, when they asked me to elaborate on this, I did, and a lot of people said that these experiences were much more classically "otherkin." This was weird to me because I've kind of always been a mermaid, and being a mermaid feels normal to me, rather than "other' but I guess that's the point. Anyway, when I thought about it, it definitely seemed like being a cat was something that I wanted to be while being a mermaid was something that I was. Interesting. Anyway. I think, if given the choice, I would be a shapeshifter: domestic cat, something like a Khajiit, obviously a mermaid, a few satellite forms and finally my human form because, even though I have generally felt misanthropic for most of my life, I have come to love my human form over the years (and putting on makeup over fur would be really hard!). I guess I never felt "dysphoric" with my mermaid identity because I've always had an outlet for it, unlike, say dragonkin. It's pretty impossible to create a dragon suit that will allow you to fly and breath fire and whatnot. Anyway, this has a been a long post on an old thread, but feel free to reply!

By the way, there's this term that therians have: hearted. It is probably the best word to describe someone like me with my inclinations toward cats. So, basically, if you feel that you are a cat, then you are a cat therian. However, if you strongly identify with cats, felinity, and want very badly to be a cat, then you are cat-hearted.