Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silicone Mermaid Tail Turtorial

With oil based clay scales, you don't need a release since the oil basically does the job. If you use fiberglass, you might want to apply a few layers of acrylic spray to seal the moisture.

Here's a video tutorial for foam scales:

For clay scales, you can purchase a clay/pasta machine and a cookie cutter of your desired shape. All you do is apply pieces of clay in the machine so that it's flattened out, and then you punch out clay circles with your cookie cutter. Here is an image:

Name:  IMG_3304 copy.JPG
Views: 1137
Size:  504.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2453 View Post
    It depends how thick you want it. I honestly just pour the amount into the mold, make sure all lines are covered and the surface is even, then I let it cure. If it's too thin, you can always add more. For the scales, you can take a putty knife and kind of spread out the silicone. The thickness is up to you as long as it isn't too thick.

The amount of clay you need also depends on your sculpture, but I can estimate that a 5 pound order will work for whatever clay you use.

You don't wan to add too much pigment, but you can just apply your desired amount in the silicone until it's the color you want. You can also add glitter to make it sparkly.
    A great tip that I have is to do a final top coat of silicone. In that silicone mix glitter and just paint on the tail. It's the final glitter top coat and adds a glossy/ sparkly effect.
    Thanks a lot!

My last struggle : foam circles! I want to buy pre-cut foam circles, but can't seem to find any in bulk format. and the website u suggest only ships inside US. (I recently asked them if they do international shipping, but sadly not)

I bought THESE. There are also other places that sell similar ones. They were really kind and the service was great.

Here is how they came out:

Attachment 20180

You glue them down with foam or craft glue.

Thanks alot Jazz! U saved my fins! Should I get 2 packs? (I'm 1m 68 tall)

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2453 View Post
    I bought THESE. There are also other places that sell similar ones. They were really kind and the service was great.

Here is how they came out:

Attachment 20180
    Just had a replay from them: won't ship international

So much useful information!
    When you did the seams, you said you applied silicone under each scale before letting it cure. So this would be the best way to essentially keep it 'glued' together, correct? Would you use the same method if you already had your tail, and say you wanted to add extra fins (pectoral/dorsal/etc). You create the fins the same way with clay, silicone, etc etc, and then when attaching the fins to the tail you would use silicone?

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Wonderful guide! I am planning to make a tail some time this year. If you could include some pictures of the process that would be awesome. I'm a bit confused about the fin "sandwiching process". How do the straws not move around in the fin when you seal it into the silicone?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mer-gal's Avatar
    Hey jazz I was wondering since the finis wave has on the edges by the foot holds a thicker edge if you had to skylit a few inches away from the actual mono fin so it would wrap down. If you had that in your tutorial sorry I must have missed.

Just the thread I was looking for!

Jazz you are seriously a life-saver <3
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

love your tail jazz!
    MERMAIDS do it better!

Jazz thanks so much, I was about to spend 20 bucks on silc pig until you pointed out pearl ex, this is very helpful for my future tail

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lieke's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Lieke on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Lieke's Youtube Channel
    Thanks <3
    Follow my mermaid journey on Instagram and Facebook <3

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

I made some samples, and the silicone feels sticky when it is cured, is there a way to make it less sticky? Thanks

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

trick to deal with the stickiness.... when mixing part A and B together, just use a slight tad more A. not too much, but just a slight bit more. It seems to remove the tacky stickiness to it.
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

What a great tip! I'll try it out

Bewaren
    Bewaren

You are godsend <3
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Thank you! I've been looking for exactly how to paint the silicone!

Add UtahMermaidPearl on Facebook
    Why don't they ever talk about your mermaid stuff on your tv show, Jazz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk