Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANIMAL PLANET mermaid program

ANIMAL PLANET mermaid program

OK... AGAIN... I'm probably the last to have found this, and I probably missed a posting on it...

But I just watched this GREAT Youtube posting of an old (or recent?) ANIMAL PLANET episode called "Mermaid Found"
    It was a "documentary" about how this Marine Biology Team (NOAA) discovered a strange underwater animal call (named the "Bloop" reel) in 1997, and when in 200(2?) a strange whale beaching occurs, they find out that the NAVY may be responsible for using a new underwater SONAR blast as a weapon-- and causing severe trauma to whales, dolphin and the like.
    Well, according to this show, people witnessed "bodies" showing up in the beached whale masses... and the NAVY was going out of their way to cover it up. When NOAA listened to one of their underwater recording buoys to see if their suspicions about the NAVY using Sonar were correct, they heard a brand new recording of the "Bloop" sounds.

SO, long story short... this documentary was trying to support the Aquatic Ape Theory (which I actually prescribe to... at least to some degree). And they tried to build a case for the true existence of evolutionary aquatic humanids... a.k.a. mermaids.

Now... I watched this show with a grain or two of salt, cause it was obvious that there is some SERIOUS bunk going on here. A lot of BAD acting (not just in the reenactments but also in the "Doctors" and "scientists" they interviewed) and CGI seemed to run amok in the "actual footage" they presented (not just the normal CGI clips they do when they show animals they can't film: giant squid, dinosaurs, etc.).

So, I don't know how much, IF ANY, truth there is. Did they actually find a carcass? Was there even really a "Bloop" recording?
    The government supposedly confiscated all evidence (conveniently), so who can say. BUT I DO like some of the what-ifs they pose, and if there IS any truth... it's pretty fantastic. So, I pose it to you guys... what do YOU think? Let's discuss!!

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ip9B...eature=related

I know of the bloop sound ive heard of it before. I remember hearing about it watching a documentary about sea monsters, i believe its some undiscovered cetacean

Hey Lanai... if you get a chance, watch the youtube vid. Whether there is any truth to it, it raises some really cool ideas and thoughts... like the strange relationship that dolphins and humans have, as well as the interesting way different cultures from around the world have the same merfolk image as part of their history

Whoa just finished part 3 so freaking cool
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Quote Originally Posted by merboy78xy View Post
    Hey Lanai... if you get a chance, watch the youtube vid. Whether there is any truth to it, it raises some really cool ideas and thoughts... like the strange relationship that dolphins and humans have, as well as the interesting way different cultures from around the world have the same merfolk image as part of their history
    Yes i did watch it, and it does have some interesting points, it is a possibility. I dont doubt there are any strange creatures out there, sailors talked about sea monsters seen til this day. my grandfather who was a fisherman recalled a story of seeing a creature with a long body off Vieques Puerto Rico.. I love Cryptozoology so much, this was an interesting vid.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    I believe I might know what made it!

Name:  103559_29Mar11_blooper_large_display.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  10.9 KB

You know... 'cause his name is 'Blooper'...
    Yeah, I know, it's not funny... Sorry, I haven't slept much LOL

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

I've seen this before, it's pretty neat. I used to have a beta fish named Bloop, because I'm the sort of nerd who names pets after sonar anomalies.

"An ocean without its unnamed monsters would be like a completely dreamless sleep."- John Steinbeck

hahaha... that's awesome.

While watching the this I texted some one say I was watching a fascinating documentary they were confussed so I ran down stair to tell my mom "whoa sound amazing send me a link" yay someone cared ilove you mom

I got my mother to watch it and she is quite skeptical about things so she did her research about this and here is what she said

Hey Sweetie,

You can post this to your forum, if you wish.* I'm really sorry to say it, but the mermaid documentary is a well-crafted hoax.* It's pretty rotten of those folks to make this thing and pretend it's real, because many people will be fooled by it.

If you watch with a skeptical eye, though, and look up some of the things they say, you can figure it out pretty quickly.* First, these are actors.* You can find their names on the IMDB page about the movie.* In a real documentary, you will hear from the *real* scientists.* This Dr. Brian McCormick is not a marine biologist, though there is a medical doctor by that name in the southern US.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1816585/

If you look down near the bottom of the page, you'll see someone else posting about it being a fake.

The mass whale beaching that supposedly happened in April of 2004 in Washington state doesn't seem to have occurred, though there was one later that year.

Sadly, the Navy does underwater explosion and sonar stuff that does indeed mess up cetacean sonar navigation, possibly leading to these beachings.* It's really too bad that the one true part of this thing is also the saddest.

On the bright side, the world really is full of amazing and wonderful things, and it's great that you have an interest in learning about them through science.* Keep it up, there are many other things just as cool and exciting out there, and many of them are even true.

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    Lol, Aubrin, your mom sounds awesome.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by ScheherazOdd View Post
    I've seen this before, it's pretty neat. I used to have a beta fish named Bloop, because I'm the sort of nerd who names pets after sonar anomalies.
    I like to name mine after famous people, but with fish puns in their names: Henry Fishenger, and F. Scott Fishgerald.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Also, I just read what Aubrin's mom wrote, and I think its so charming that she expresses herself like a lecturer, but begins with "Sweetie"

Is your mom a professor or a lawyer? Most people don't build an argument so carefully and rationally.

Well, in response to what Aubrin's Mom said, I absolutely agree. I already knew (and posted in this original thread) that this thing was chock full of bunk-- the bad acting, etc. And at the end of the documentary (part 8) they have the credits that acknowledge the actors by name... so I also knew that these were truly actors playing scientists. But I still wonder about some of the other elements the "documentary" brings up.
    I looked into the "bloop" sound. I found recordings of it, as well as some other interesting sounds recorded and named by NOAA, such as: Julia, Slow-down, train, etc.
    Cool stuff, though I will also said that the "bloop" sound was exactly that: a sound that went "BLOOOooop!" Like a giant bubble. Now, it certainly was no bubble. The scientists that studied it are certain of that. But the community is divided about whether it is a sound made by an animal or something else, like arctic ice plates shifting, etc. So, the "recording" that was on ANIMAL PLANET was completely fabricated. There were no "speech patterns" in the "Bloop" recording. (though some of the other ones are really eerie sounding... mostly sounding like the thing they're named after).

So: we know that there really are some unique and questionably biological, yet unidentified sounds recorded. We know that strange beachings do occur. We know that there is a number of anthropologists that prescribe to the "aquatic ape" theory...
    I just wonder that other things might have some underlying truth to them.

I suppose we'll never know. Unless something like this should wash up on the shores and not be covered up by government.

Another thought I had since the "documentary"... It suggested that early in evolution (provided you believe in evolution), half of the hominids steered away from the water's edge (back towards the plains) and the other half wandered further into the seas.
    It is known that seals used to be more terrestrial. It is also known that some whales have vestigial legs. It is known that manatees are most closely related to elephants! SO... the idea of animals evolving into new aquatic versions is not in question.
    I wonder if (even if hominids didn't become mermaids in the truest sense of the word) there is some ancient and deeply imbedded (DNA?) differences in the humans that walk around today between the "aquatic" apes and the "terrestrial" apes.
    Now, in studying palmistry (or zodiac) you learn that people are grouped by hand shape into earth, air, fire, water. And they have characteristics that mirror these groupings.
    I wonder if again: there is any connection. Maybe the reason some of us are drawn to the water, or to merfolk is that we have that deep-down history. Maybe "Earth" people (the hard working; the ones not afraid to get their hands dirty; the ones with large, square, strong hands...) maybe they have the "deep down" of those who walked toward the fields and plains.

Who knows.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by green52 View Post
    Also, I just read what Aubrin's mom wrote, and I think its so charming that she expresses herself like a lecturer, but begins with "Sweetie"

Is your mom a professor or a lawyer? Most people don't build an argument so carefully and rationally.
    yes my mom can very gingerly tell some one they are wrong and no she is not a lawyer or professor I just I asked why she words things so great *deep thought* " hm I really... like words"

I haven't had time to watch this yet but I do know about the bloop,. I will watch this video series soon though, funny side note about it you can find a lot about it by typing the bloop sound cthulhu into a search.

yeah, I found it amazing that there was such a huge following of the Cthulhu ideas put forth in Lovecraft's stories.
    I guess it's become a large part of peoples' truth. I'm not sure if I prescribe specifically to the idea of Cthulhu as a name, though I do believe in ancient entities that have been part of this world. I think it's interesting how many cultures have stories of Giants, Ancient ones, Shining ones, Titans, The Fallen (Grigori), Nephalim, etc. etc. So I think that there is some truth there as well. Just not sure it's necessarily as "horrific" and negative as Lovecraft portrayed it. What do you think Merpirate?

I think honestly we know very little about our own seas currently and in my mind a mermaid is very likely or something that is close to one (Beyond a sea cow) As for elder ones, I think that it is possible that since so many legends seem to have some truth in them. that we might just find something there too

I agree whole heartedly. I can't imagine what all is down there. We honestly know more about the moon than we do about the "abyss" (which was a great movie btw).

Is this movie part of the same one with that movie about dragons: a fantasy made real that came out several years back?