Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANIMAL PLANET mermaid program

I dunno... what movie are you discussing? I mentioned the movie "the Abyss" but it doesn't have dragons in it

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    Is this movie part of the same one with that movie about dragons: a fantasy made real that came out several years back?
    I love that mockumentary - I have it on DVD! Totally wish I could go on a dragon (fossil) hunt and find something.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

merboy78xy here is the page for the Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real show
    http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/

As for messing up whales, here's food for thought.

130 db = threshold for pain.

300 db = active sonar "ping".

I have heard thru naval sources that pings may go as high as 600 db at the source, and can injure or kill a diver.

wow that's some intense sound. Sucks that we always have to use these discoveries for such horrible means!
    And Joy, yeah-- I remember that "documentary" now... that was a fun one!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    so when will and english version ever air in the states. it would be nice to watch it it without the Japanese- Chinese subtitles

also, i find it funny that people are really getting all bent out of shape about the documentary. it's clearly meant to be a "what if" documentary. animal planet never claimed this was a real documentary or that the doctors where real. they were making a documentary that was meant to say "what if" these creatures where real, how would be come across them? What would they be like
    they did the same thing with Dragons; a Fantasy Made Real

on another note, i think that mermaids are real. its my utter belief that if you want to make someone not believe in something you should put it on tv

The thing that you mentioned about the actors were in fact used during the dramatizations. The story was told by the original people but the dramatization was in fact done by actors. You can actually look both of the doctors up and see they are real,,,this was them..and that they truly did this kind of work for NOAA.

...its on again...
    just wish they would quit wasting time on mermaid cgi and get to more science stuff.
    (◕(' 人 ') ◕)
    ~MoLLY~

I was actually kinda disappointed with it, now that I've seen the mermaid mockumentary. The creepy faces, lack of hair, Big Brother subplot, made up stories about cave paintings in Egypt, questionable geologic dating (I'm not sure bottlenose dolphins predated Megalodons, for instance, though dolphin relatives did exist in that time), as well as the disappointing ending... the dragon show was better.

i dont agree with how the merfolk look... but all the science-y stuff is cool. the merfolk are kinda creepy looking...

i get why they made the mermaid look the way they did. the less closer they are to common conception of mermaids they more realistic you can make it. long flowing hair would create drag, get snagged on stuff and a whole lot of other things. when you think in terms of biology the wide large eyes, the hairless bodies, they all make an amount of sense.
    i think the mermaids were done will but could have been better
    the story line was someone what believable but yes the Big brother thing did take away from it but they id have to come up with some reason why a body was suddenly found and what better reason than government weaponry testing. and honestly if the government was guilty of killing something so closely resembling humans they would do everything in their power to keep it under wraps and discredit anyone who said other wise.
    i mean we've all seen ET. we know what the government is capable of if they find out other intelligent life existed on earth besides humans.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

I know this thread is old, but I just watched Mermaid last night on Animal Planet. You all are confused. Yes, there were actors in the movie, but the actors were the ones doing the reenactment. Duh. The two scientist, Dr. Paul and Dr. Rebecca are REAL people and they really worked for NOAA. The two actors playing them are clearly listed on IMDB and in the credits and you can see, they look nothing like the real Paul and Rebecca. A quick google search will show their names coming up in articles about works with NOAA not related to the mermaid doc. Most the of "fictional" stuff in the movie comes from the theories about how mermaids would have evolved and of course they have to use cgi to show that.

I for one, believe it.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it was officially stated it;s a mockumentary, ilivineinthesea, so no, we're not confused, it has aired before, and the entire thing has been on youtube for years. The other link on this topic is here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...tary-is-airing!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Nemefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    I believe I might know what made it!

Attachment 1285

You know... 'cause his name is 'Blooper'...
    Yeah, I know, it's not funny... Sorry, I haven't slept much LOL
    my favorite childhood games were mario games and i thought this was hysterical!!!! lol XD

Unhappy

Hey I just saw peolpe responding about the network trying to fool people but I do not believe that is what they were trying to do. I recorded the program watched it once and then went to watch it again to take notes so I could do my own investigating and when I looked at my recording it was listed as a movie and not a documentary. I was upset to see that because I too at first believed it was a documentary.

I honestly don't know how people thought this was real. The CG wasn't the best and the side plot was really contrived.
    All that said, I really liked everything else about it. The theory of aquatic apes was fascinating and well thought out. Over all I give it a solid 8.

I saw it before ,my hubby didn't catch it until it re-aired the other night, He was dissappointed it wasn't more of a discovery of mermaids instead of contrived stuff and Big Brother, he kinda felt it made a mockery of mermaids...and this coming from an average guy who really isn't into it.

I was ok with the fantasy of it... I could tell there was some serious BUNK going on... so I never believed the show was real (nor the CGI for that matter), however, on first impressions, I wondered if there was ANY truth in the story. And in doing some research, you find that there is SOME truth behind the BLOOP sound (among many other "unexplained ocean noises" such as JULIA or SLOWDOWN). So you wonder-- did someone somewhere find some nugget of truth and it gets passed down like the children's game "telephone" and we come out with a watered-down, severely diluted, over-fantisized "documentary" that was written in fun and "what if" style... but actually contained some truth none-the-less?

yea, it had some things based on actual natural occuring habits and whatnot of real creatures...and they tried to back up the turn evolution might have taken. i don't know if they chose the most believable fork in the road though from the beginning with apes splitting into the sea and the rest onto land....i guess it might expedite evolution and keep a humanoid form up top...but my thing is....if all living creatures evolved in the water...why couldn't the split have occurred in the water and moved to land....or i don't know...a species combination somewhere. they just could have back they're story a lot better. the ridge on the head...that was terrible. and if they're going to be that realistic that merpeople would be unable to grow hair....why make them so thin when it has been proven that living in the sea would cause a noticeable layer of body fat for insulation? they made mermaids look like scary freaks. it's suppose to be a romantised race...