Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ANIMAL PLANET mermaid program

Here's what I understood. It isn't going to be the same "mockumentary" As I understood it, it was going to be like "re-examining" the first one (Body found) but its going to be a newer one...right?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    They have a page, now: Animal Planet: Mermaids
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    As for messing up whales, here's food for thought.

130 db = threshold for pain.

300 db = active sonar "ping".

I have heard thru naval sources that pings may go as high as 600 db at the source, and can injure or kill a diver.
    This is totally horrible!

A sonar weapon testing was definitely happening.
    Combined with fishing, large loud ships, dynamite, and all the trash and poisons that are daily dumped into the oceans,
    it is a miracle anything is still alive in them :/

The Navy and Coast Guard are not attempting to destroy the ocean. We work very hard to protect it and this documentary actually makes some of us in service a bit upset. More so us Coasties... one of our main missions is protecting the ocean and environment. We work very closely with the navy to protect the waters we sail on and this documentary turns us all into villains. Yes, there was some navy testing that caused whales to beach. This was an unpredictable technology and it was not the intention of the navy to hurt the wildlife. The intention was to save lives and protect without the use of explosives which can not only harm the environment, but not too long ago if a missile missed its target it would become stray, drift on currents, and potentially hit an innocent vessel. We need sonar in order to monitor fishing vessels, potential drug smugglers, and enemy vessels. Sonar saves sailors lives. We interfere as minimally as possible.

Regardless if it was attpted or not (and I believe it was not intentional), it's still beaching the whales. It's still happening.

It just stinkscux no matter what we do we end up harming the ocean anyway :/

Oh yeah! For those waiting to watch it, it airs next (or should I say "this"?) Sunday! The 26th! I won't be able to watch it because I'm going camping on a lake with my family but I hope it'll re-run!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I don't get animal planet. *sobs*

Add Echidna on Facebook
    While the show was pretty good (I loved it, even though the actors were sooo fake),
    I was a bit disappointed to learn the featured "Bloop" was not the real Bloop (lol).

I didn't realize this for quite some time, since I knew the Bloop does exist but never heard it before.
    So I actually got excited hearing that mega-evolved whalesong-like signature they played.
    Turns out it was all just fabricated to suit their story!

The real Bloop is horribly loud and very scary.
    Unless it's some geological, huge phenomenon (dunno, it sounded...different), it has to be Cthulhu.

As for all the other, unexplained signatures (Julia, Whistle, Upwind etc), those don't sound like much really.
    Could literally be anything

Or maybe leviathan xD

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I like 'em both
    It's just that R'lyeh is described very close to the Bloop epicentre. hehe.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I thought I read somewhere that they proved what the bloop was recently. *scratches head and goes off to search the internet*

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Add Echidna on Facebook
    yeah, I read that too.
    They claim the signature was only mistaken because it's mostly listened to in 16x speed.
    Well, I listened to it a lot of times. In real speed.
    Their explanation falls flat imo.

Also, the location was on the latitude of New Zealand and while they're not that far away, I haven't heard of glaciers IN New Zealand :P

There are indeed many glaciers in New Zealand It's easy to forget, but New Zealand is actually not very far from Antarctica. Us in the northerm hemisphere are so used to thinking of "south" as warmer places, but in the southern hemisphere it's the opposite.

But sound does carry MUCH farther and louder underwater due to the increase in density of the material it's traveling through (versus air), so it's not that surprising that the sound could have carried from Antartica. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet especially is prone to cracking, and has collapsed at least once before in this geologic period (and is probably heading that way again...).

It might be disappointing, but oh well. Believe me, I'd be super excited if Cthulhu was real... and then a bit terrified
    Mermaid Jade
    (Instagram | Facebook | tumblr)

Add Echidna on Facebook
    awwww
    you gotta admit...glaciers are much less intriguing!

yes but they're pretty to look at *o*

At the end they say all but some very few things were not real. The bloop was real though

"See dude? The ocean is beautiful! You don't need to be afraid of things that are beautiful!"
    -Jake the Dog c;