Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Springtime swim in Florida?

Haha! Well lucky for me its on an off weekend for work. I love mer meets!

It's getting close! Unfortunately my roommate just found out she's unavailable that day. I don't really want to go alone... I'll try and think of another person I'm comfortable with taking, but if I can't find anyone I may decide not to go alone. I really do want to attend though!

I hope you're able to come Harley! I can understand not wanting to come alone, but I can promise I don't bite.
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

Harley, where in fl do you live? You should totally come though, mermaid meets are sooo fun!

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    It's getting close! Unfortunately my roommate just found out she's unavailable that day. I don't really want to go alone... I'll try and think of another person I'm comfortable with taking, but if I can't find anyone I may decide not to go alone. I really do want to attend though!
    Harley don't be scared I was nervous going by myself to my first meet up. I didn't know anyone super well. The only person I had really messaged a few times was Gosalyn and still it wasn't like we knew each other that well. It's amazing when you get there and you're just like "Wow... It's like the Mernetwork in real time!" You'll be wondering why you all haven't met sooner! Plus when everyone's swimming in their tails, you'll be in your element with everyone else. You all have a BIG common interest, mermaids! So just remember you'll be in amazing company

I second everything Blondie said.

If I go, it may be alone as well depending on the timing... You won't be the only one! :-)

Question for people going, would it be worth still going if the soonest I could be there is 4:30?
    Last edited by Mermaid Mako; 03-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Oh gosh, I wasn't expecting all the lovely, reassuring replies! Thank you all for that.

Mermaidmechanic, my home is in central florida (1 hour away from Alexander Springs), but I go to school in Tampa (2 hrs away from the springs). I mostly wanted to bring someone to have company while we drove 2 hours there! And it is always nice to know someone at an event.

However, I've been thinking about it and I think I will come alone anyways because it sounds like a whole lot of fun! And how else am I going to meet people for the next event?

Excited to see you all there!

I'm in St Pete, Tampa is on my way. :-) let me know if you still want a road trip buddy.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest
    Pod of The South
    Follow Melina Marina On Twitter Add Melina Marina on Facebook
    Follow Melina Marina on Tumblr
    I should be getting there around 12:30 or 1pm! I'm bringing a friend who I'm letting borrow one of my tails--she's never swam in a tail before so we might do some pool swimming Friday to get her used to it before Saturday lol

Springtime swim in Florida?

How very kind of you mermaid mako I think I'll make it okay though!

I should be there about the same time Melina Marina. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Not much longer now!
    User formerly known as "Harley".

A little info in case anyone needs it:

29th of March Alexander Springs
    49525 County Road 445
    Altoona, FL 32702
    352 669 3522

Alexander Springs Recreation Area is located along CR 445 in the northeast corner of Lake County between Astor and Altoona. From SR 40 at Astor, take Butler Street to CR 445A, and turn left on CR 445. The recreation area is 5.8 miles south on the right. From Altoona, drive north 5.2 miles on SR 19, and turn right on CR 445. Continue another 5.1 miles to the entrance on the left.

Just a question Gosalyn, is there a particular area where everyone will be? Never been to this park so I wasn't sure if there's a particular shelter or parking lot that I should aim for. Also, we have a Tampa Bay micro-pod on Facebook, and I mentioned this to them...I hope you don't mind! (I say micro because a friend just created it today, it has a whopping 7 mers so far, he he)

And no problem Harley! I can't wait to meet everyone!
    "It is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
    - President John F. Kennedy

The swimming area has a pretty small entrance, it shouldn't be diffIcult to spot everyone. There are some stairs into the spring, so I suggest looking around them for other tails.

I have posted about this on the Florida Merfolk facebook group, so I'm sure it's ok to share.

Just looked at the weather forecast for Saturday, and it's supposed to thunderstorm.... here's to hoping for clear skies, at least while we're there!

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Yeah... I saw that too. Well- If we have to- I'll still be there sunday and monday morning. Would be ok with me if we postponed a day.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

I doubt it'll storm all day, and I really hope it doesn't. It'd be difficult for me to change days at this point, and I think it was the only day Spottedcatfish could come.

Springtime swim in Florida?

Yeah, I would rather not change days if possible.. I guess we will see.
    User formerly known as "Harley".

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Fair Enough.

Miss Marlin and I are going to start heading down early tomorrow morning- so I won't be on till I see you guys on Saturday. I'm really excited!

See you all then!
    Even mermaids need tech support.

I'd hate to drive that far just to be rained out :-(

I'd still like to meet everyone even if we don't get to swim as long....I'll keep an eye on the forecast. The hourly has the storm starting at 5pm, but that can change in an instant....here's hoping it changes for the better!

I guess a benefit of doing this on an iffy day is that we will have a less crowded swimming spot.