Thread: Finis Competitor Video! :)

Talking Finis Competitor Video! :)

I got my finis competitor monofin just a few weeks ago, and I made a video to show my progress! This video was my third time swimming in it, and I am super excited to do another one once i've made a tail to go with it! Constructive criticism on my swimming would be appreciated! I want to look as real as possible in my movements~! <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5strS-IIu3w
    Last edited by Nessadelle; 09-28-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: link broken

Not bad. :3
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Looks great and by the way that is an amazing pool
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Thank you Lorelei and Aubrin!

I love my schools pool! I can't wait to practice with an actual tail.

Very fluid and natural. Like you've been doing it for a long time.

Alveric

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    I really like your movement. Very fish like. My goodness you can haul ass in that thing.

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    Wow!! Your movement is great!!

your doing great. its great that you took the time and money to get a competitor. as long as you leave the shape as is, it will still be really fast i assume. this is great!!! EEEEEEEE!! ^^
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

You look really great! Did it take a lot of practice to get used to swimming with the monofin? I'm a good swimmer, but I've never used a monofin before (hope to buy a competitor soon).

Also, does anyone have any comparisons between swimming with a standard competitor fin, versus one that's been cut to a more mermaid tail shape? Does it affect how it moves, or make it harder to swim?

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, everybody! I will keep practicing harder until I can improve my breath hold as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaria View Post
    You look really great! Did it take a lot of practice to get used to swimming with the monofin? I'm a good swimmer, but I've never used a monofin before (hope to buy a competitor soon).

Also, does anyone have any comparisons between swimming with a standard competitor fin, versus one that's been cut to a more mermaid tail shape? Does it affect how it moves, or make it harder to swim?
    Anaria,

I started with the Finis Wave and swam in it for two years! After my old tail for the Wave began to look a bit tired, I decided it was a sign to invest in the best monofin I could get my hands on. The competitor is very strong, and fights back at you when swimming (My first time in it i pulled an abdominal muscle from pushing so hard), but I have heard that cutting the tail makes it slightly easier to flip the tail because of less resistance when moving through the water. I recommend starting with a smaller monofin and working your way up to the competitor, or even simply practicing the swimming motions with two flippers tied together. Preparing your core muscles for the strain of the competitor will prevent injuries from forcing it on them right away (I had only been out of practice for a week with the Wave and I still pulled a muscle from the competitor).

I am excited to see your progress once you get your competitor too! <3

Wow, looks great!! I am so jealous of you having that pool to swim in, by the way! I feel like a goldfish in a tiny bowl in my small 6ft pool O_o
    Thanks for the heads up about the competitor. I'm going to get one soon (Finis seriously needs to get on getting those back in stock, it's been over a month) and I don't get to go swimming all the time so I'll be sure to take it nice and easy for a while before I go pushing. I can't imagine that pulling an abdominal muscle feels good!

Senior Member Pod of Cali HBMermaid_Angela's Avatar
    I just got my finis competitor in yesterday and had to try it out! I find it quite easy to use!! It is deffinately a "serious" monofin, but love it much more over any other monofin I've had. I am cutting it into a dolphin shape fluke because it is going inside my mermaid tail!!

Thanks for the info Nessadelle! Will look around for a cheaper 'learner' monofin to start with I'm a qualified personal trainer, so I'll definitely increase focus on core work in my training Can't wait to start practicing

Quote Originally Posted by Wingéd Mermaid View Post
    Wow, looks great!! I am so jealous of you having that pool to swim in, by the way! I feel like a goldfish in a tiny bowl in my small 6ft pool O_o
    Thanks for the heads up about the competitor. I'm going to get one soon (Finis seriously needs to get on getting those back in stock, it's been over a month) and I don't get to go swimming all the time so I'll be sure to take it nice and easy for a while before I go pushing. I can't imagine that pulling an abdominal muscle feels good!
    You're in California! Have you never swam in the ocean? What i'd give to be able to swim in the ocean with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Anaria View Post
    Thanks for the info Nessadelle! Will look around for a cheaper 'learner' monofin to start with I'm a qualified personal trainer, so I'll definitely increase focus on core work in my training Can't wait to start practicing
    I can't wait to see your progress! It's always so inspiring to see how hard everybody is working to achieve their goals!

Quote Originally Posted by HBMermaid_Angela View Post
    I just got my finis competitor in yesterday and had to try it out! I find it quite easy to use!! It is deffinately a "serious" monofin, but love it much more over any other monofin I've had. I am cutting it into a dolphin shape fluke because it is going inside my mermaid tail!!
    Lucky you for it being so easy the first try! I am a small person, and I had a hard time pushing it from the abdominals like you're supposed to, so it took me a few hours to get it down.

I feel like more and more mermaids are getting the competitor these days It's cool to see more and more mermaids becoming so serious! I have the same MonoFin and I LOVE it! I have a lot of swimming experience so it's very easy for me to swim in it, so it's really fun. I think I posted a video response of me swimming in mine on your YouTube video ;D

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

I want that same one I was searching for videos like yours to show me how it works and yours never came up :/ Im just worried that with a tail over it the drag will slow it down to the point that I may as well have gotten a cheaper one.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post
    I feel like more and more mermaids are getting the competitor these days It's cool to see more and more mermaids becoming so serious! I have the same MonoFin and I LOVE it! I have a lot of swimming experience so it's very easy for me to swim in it, so it's really fun. I think I posted a video response of me swimming in mine on your YouTube video ;D
    I saw your video! I believe it was one of the first videos I saw of a competitor before I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofi View Post
    I want that same one I was searching for videos like yours to show me how it works and yours never came up :/ Im just worried that with a tail over it the drag will slow it down to the point that I may as well have gotten a cheaper one.
    Well, even with the drag of a tail, this is the strongest one on the market as far as I know, so I think you'd be best off going for a competitor. That way if it drags, it will still be stronger than if you had a slower tail that could hardly be swimmable with drag.

The competitor is also good for abdominal muscles, and really pushes you to move from the core muscles rather than your knees, in my opinion. I found that with the wave monofin I was always pushing from my knees. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nessadelle View Post

Well, even with the drag of a tail, this is the strongest one on the market as far as I know, so I think you'd be best off going for a competitor. That way if it drags, it will still be stronger than if you had a slower tail that could hardly be swimmable with drag.

The competitor is also good for abdominal muscles, and really pushes you to move from the core muscles rather than your knees, in my opinion. I found that with the wave monofin I was always pushing from my knees. <3
    Excellent! When you ordered yours did it ask you to choose how hard the fin was? Im not sure if I should get moderate or firm. On other websites there isnt an option for that, only here as far as I can tell http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...=192&iCatId=23

Quote Originally Posted by Nessadelle View Post

You're in California! Have you never swam in the ocean? What i'd give to be able to swim in the ocean with this!

The water is always freezing here, even in the summer when you feel like melting you stick a foot in that water and you're done thinking about going in! It's really feels like ice water. I only see kids (who could care less about how cold it is) and surfers with wetsuits in the water here. I think when I get my competitor I may invest in a good wetsuit though! That would be awesome to be able to swim in the ocean here, especially with a good monofin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sofi View Post
    Excellent! When you ordered yours did it ask you to choose how hard the fin was? Im not sure if I should get moderate or firm. On other websites there isnt an option for that, only here as far as I can tell http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...=192&iCatId=23
    Wow! I didn't have the option for firmness (I am pretty sure mine is super firm though!), go with what you feel works best for the tail look you'll be going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingéd Mermaid View Post
    The water is always freezing here, even in the summer when you feel like melting you stick a foot in that water and you're done thinking about going in! It's really feels like ice water. I only see kids (who could care less about how cold it is) and surfers with wetsuits in the water here. I think when I get my competitor I may invest in a good wetsuit though! That would be awesome to be able to swim in the ocean here, especially with a good monofin!
    We should all migrate to Hawaii or something.