Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: H2O: Just Add Water has a spin-off

I'm 28 and I love the H20 series lol This may sound a bit insane but I actually bought a replica of the locket the girls wear, I fell in love with it!
    I'm interested to see what this new series will be like and how they're going to do it

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I'm scepticle about the 'fin like feet'. Makes me think that the director doesnt want to bother with a tail. But you just know that the feet will be CGI (I think that's what it's called) and I will be disappointed if they don't get that boy a tail for at least one episode. It can't be that hard. And what's with that? The girls get to be beautiful mermaids but the boy gets jipped and is stuck with weird feet? Not fair. Why can't he just have a tail? The mermen in the little mermaid had tails. Is the actor that ashamed of wearing a tail?
    There's really no doubt in my mind that its because society dislikes mermen, and thinks of guys with tails as looking kinda gay. I think the little mermaid is a good example. Can you believe there were two sequels to TLM, and they never introduced an merman characters with a name beyond triton? (I'm ignoring urchin from the tv show.) Its pretty mind boggling that little mermaid 2 and 3 were Disney movies that somehow had no romantic plot or love interest for any of the characters. I was sure that they would give one of Ariel's sisters a love interest in little mermaid 3, but no, there were zero merman characters. That totally blows my mind.
    Last edited by malinghi; 06-15-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    [/COLOR]

There's really no doubt in my mind that its because society dislikes mermen, and thinks of guys with tails as looking kinda gay. I think the little mermaid is a good example. Can you believe there were two sequels to TLM, and they never introduced an merman characters with a name beyond triton? (I'm ignoring urchin from the tv show.) Its pretty mind boggling that little mermaid 2 and 3 were Disney movies that somehow had no romantic plot or love interest for any of the characters. I was sure that they would give one of Ariel's sisters a love interest in little mermaid 3, but no, tere were zero merman characters. That totally blows my mind.

i agree, the only merman movie ever really to get any public notice was Disney's 13th year. there have no strong merman characters EVER. Triton is really the only merman most people know. OH and Thank you Adam Sandler for making a joke of mermen in Funny People, just set us back a few decades dude!
    i honestly think that mermen are under appricated and even though i'm gay as my little pony, sailor moon, and glitter bombs all rolled up into one but i'm tougher than any man you will ever meet and just as pretty as any model on the run way.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    If you can ever track down a copy, the Sabrina (the Teenage Witch) Down Under movie had a Merman lead, and he was quite masculine. The tails in that movie were quite unique as well - bright green with black and yellow detailing.

I do agree that mermen aren't usually seen as "masculine". I do hope my second book series changes that (as most of the male leads are mermen), though I doubt it will reach a wide enough audience...

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    If you can ever track down a copy, the Sabrina (the Teenage Witch) Down Under movie had a Merman lead, and he was quite masculine.
    That would be Scott Michaelson. He was in Neighbours in the 90's, then did some morning kids TV, did some TV in NZ and was also in Hercules: The ledgendary journies. Not sure what he's doing now, most likely managing.

Name:  scott+m.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  25.8 KB

H20 Just Add Water is on Netflix too.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    H20 is on Netflix!!! omg. I tried to find bootlegged videos of the first and second season on Youtube. By the time I got to the third... I was done with running into copyright infringement warnings, and messages saying "Sorry this is not viewable in your area". I had heard about the show about a year before It came out. I am originally from Australia, and I was "channel browsing" online, and i saw this new show in 2007, which was only accessible on Youtube at the time. Anyways, I'm going to have to look it up again... I kind of fell off the boat with that show. Good to see it's still accessible. So, as for male representation in the merfolk community, yeah there aren't really many shows or movies featuring them, unless it's like the father of the mermaid in the main plot. I have seen most of these shows and movies mentioned before, but not once have I seen a reference to "The 13th year" which is a Disney live action movie for tv, that features a merboy. Also, I grew up reading Paul Jennings, and watching Round the Twist, and If anyone knows about the story "Nails" that Mr. Jennings wrote, or the corresponding depeiction in the show Round the Twist... Then here, have a clam with a pearl inside!

For those of you who are left in the dark, I present Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbeara...8book%29#Nails

and this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TSHnBk1u58 or rather the first of three clips. So what does this have to do with H20, Mr. JM Shiff, was part of the original cast of this show... Which I find to be very interesting.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Nemefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I actually never watched h20. I tried to, and please dont take this offensively anyone I found it too.. immature? Just couldnt hold my attention But maybe I'd like the spinoff who knows!
    i saw a couple of episodes and then it got boring to me. idk i just didn't really like the storyline, but the tails look amazing

I want me some smexy mermen! My bf isent very masculine looking but then again he isent a very good swimmer so out goes that fantasy. I like h20, but I didn't get to see allot of it, if its on netflix then I'm definitely watching!

Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    smexy merman...mmmm. I want that too! And done right, it can look very masculine. Unfortunately, many people are attracted to other bipedal footed humans... . Whats sexy about legs???

Pod of The South
    The mermen in Madonna's Cherish video were smoking hot. I wish more people would picture them than the Zoolander scene...

I love H2O for what it is, a show directred at tweens. My nearly 3 year old daughter adores it. I like how they've kept a show featuring teens basically innocent and free from a lot of the negative stuff you see oin most shows directed at teens. I have no problem with honesty in tv shows, but I think there can also be some innocent fantasy and it does no harm.

So I'm glad to hear there is a spin off. New mermaids, and a merguy? My daughter should love that. I can't wait to see how they pull it off.

I agree, too, about the tails being some of the best. I love how there is so little knees-yness to them. I watched a making of video and one of the actresses said the tails weight about 40 pounds each! I imagine by now, even a few years later, the materials available to make the tails will be lighter. I just hope they retain the 'not jointed' look.

Pod of The South
    Yeah, that sounds stupid... http://www.imdb.com/news/ni27730630/

Also, it would be REALLY nice to see different colored tails... I'm SO sick of the gold... (Bella, being changed in Ireland, should have been GREEN at least!)

There's a synopsis here: http://h2o.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mermaids

And I have to admit, this plot sounds rather weak, and perhaps a little convoluted. And there's not even much written here. And why, if the moonpool grants someone, anyone, powers, would the gals who were made mermaids prior to that, be so threatened that they have to remove his powers? That's just... exclusionary, haha. It is, though.

Well if/when it finds its way online, I will give it a chance, there aren't a lot of mermaid shows out there, and my daughter loves it so.

ETA- H2O is on Hulu in the US.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    The spin-off was renamed. "Mako Mermaids?!" What kind of a name is that when its main character is a merman?!
    In all fairness, anything's an improvement over the name "H2O: Just Add Water". Am I the only one who was annoyed by that making no sense? It's basically "water: just add water".
    Last edited by malinghi; 06-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Great Lakes
    AGH the 'merman' actor is a TOTAL HOTTIE!
    I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges
    Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Alice in Wonderland

formerly 'sophiadarling'

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    In all fairness, anything's an improvement over the name "H2O: Just Add Water". Am I the only one who was annoyed by that making no sense? Is basically "water: just add water".
    haha, yes! Me, too.

Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    There's a synopsis here: http://h2o.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mermaids

And I have to admit, this plot sounds rather weak, and perhaps a little convoluted. And there's not even much written here. And why, if the moonpool grants someone, anyone, powers, would the gals who were made mermaids prior to that, be so threatened that they have to remove his powers? That's just... exclusionary, haha. It is, though.

Well if/when it finds its way online, I will give it a chance, there aren't a lot of mermaid shows out there, and my daughter loves it so.

ETA- H2O is on Hulu in the US.
    What bothered me was that Charlotte never came back and tried to become a mermaid again... Maybe she was committed or something because she just disappeared after season 2 (when she knew their secret and, I mean, if I were here, I'd be pissed off and want to expose the other girls as mermaids).

Eh, the plot of those shows doesn't make much sense anyway. The scientist from the first season would have set up camp in the moon pool to figure out the secret if it'd been real... I just hope the new series isn't as contrived as the first (which, it will be). I'd really like to see an actual plot rather than "Don't let anyone find out / Oh, that boy is cute! / My powers are going nuts / The full moon affects us... sometimes... when the episode calls for it..."

Hmm I have mixed feelings about this spin-off. The pilot plot didn't really make much sense. Why would the mermaids turn the guy into a merman? Didn't the girls in the Original series, have the power to turn back into human form? Also that guy had better have a tail!! And no I don't think the girls will have different color tails, from what I've seen in this picture

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...40761601_n.jpg

They look like the old tails from the original show. Also I have a suspicion that this show may be more "immature" than H20... but that's just my thoughts. You know what I'd love to see... an R rated movie featuring mermaids and mermen, that's made for our crowd! No more kiddie stuff.... ugh!

Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    You know what I'd love to see... an R rated movie featuring mermaids and mermen, that's made for our crowd! No more kiddie stuff.... ugh!
    LOL I've been working on a book series with just that in mind! As far as I can tell, and I've looked, there's never been a paranormal romance series focused on mermaids and mermen. So, that's my next series ^_^