Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Userpics

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    How about a regulation that userpics must either show oneself, or be a free stockphoto?
    Or be a piece of art created by the user? I use my own mer art as avatars/userpics...
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    The "if it's up on the web, it belongs to everyone for free"-attitude is not shared unequivocally.
    I'm not at all condoning that. I don't remember exactly where I found my avatar, but I certainly don't assume that I can use it however I wish and I think most other people realise that too. If the artist expressed disapproval at my use of their image of course I would take it down.
    Pictures of actual people are another story; using an image of someone's face (or in our case, their tail) is confusing and just plain weird, unless you're using a famous image or something super artistic or whatever.

Then again, I do realise that what people do when they take a google image for their avatar is technically illegal. I get that. I know that some artists get pissed off to the max with the culture of "I found it on the net, why can't I use it?" that has grown from that. People deserve to have control over images they've created and copywrited. So, in that sense, I think it'd be the better idea if everyone respected that all the time. That's not going to happen of course, but yeah, in the end I wouldn't mind having a rule for only using images that are your own or in the public domain. There are plenty of artists who have been dead long enough for me to use their stuff
    Last edited by Mermaid Kelda; 03-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Kelphinea_Kelp's Avatar
    Add Kelphinea_Kelp on Facebook
    ummm I think alot of people keep missing the point of personal tail... If a tal maker is using an image of a tail that was made for another person then it would then be between the creator and the person its made for... it is still in essence personal between both parties. And some of you are asking about things that don't fall under the category of a personal tail.. so you have some infamous mermaid art as your picture... mk but the art is placed online for the pubic to view and see and im sure people who post photos online know that their pictures and work are opened to being used or taken with out promisson.but the thing is.. lots of people can relate to a picture of a mer.... but personal custom tails made between a creator and a customer.. is not the same. But it IS somthing that is hard to enforce TRUE we all would be looking around policing people about there pictures... and thought people should be "checked at the throat" for not having common sense... thing is.. you kinda have to pick your battles.. IS policing a photo worth all the hassel? I personally don't think so I think if we find a person who is using a picture like this! then we should let the person in relation to the picture know.. and then they can make the choice to report the image or speak with the person about the picture and ask for them to take it down. Because then its a matter between the person in the picture and the person using the picture. better then reports flying left and right and feelings getting hurt and lots of drama and butt hurt feelings. Just my 2 cents sorry if i came on strong.

Iona already made her decision about my suggestion. The userpic guidelines aren't being changed, so everyone ought to let go of that idea unless admin says otherwise.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelphinea_Kelp View Post
    but the art is placed online for the pubic to view and see and im sure people who post photos online know that their pictures and work are opened to being used or taken with out promisson.
    A lot of people's stuff is taken without permission, but that doesn't make it okay. Copywrite still holds on the web, so it's still illegal to use someone's image without permission. If the artist had the time and money they could actually take you to court for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeaNymph View Post
    Iona already made her decision about my suggestion. The userpic guidelines aren't being changed, so everyone ought to let go of that idea unless admin says otherwise.
    It's still an interesting topic to debate though!