Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams dead at 63

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Robin Williams dead at 63

suicide. Peter pan.

Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooood. WHY?
    My childhood is passing away. I loved him in Aladdin.
    This eSCALElated rather quickly.

I have no words to express how sad I am ..

I am not usually bothered by what happens in the celeb world but this really upset me

Suicide is a scary thing. 1 in 5 people are thinking of suicide at any given moment. It is often influenced by depression, mental/chronic illness, and traumatic life events.

A few years ago I got certified as a suicide interventionist. You get trained on how to help people who are feeling suicidal. Not only how to talk someone off a ledge or talk someone down who is having thoughts, but how to help them find help. it's like first aid training.

It was one of the single best things I have ever done. It has helped me save many friends. Friends who thought their lives were meaningless or over... and who have gone on to do amazing things and live fulfilling moments. We know from extensive studies on suicide that the majority of people are in crisis, and if helped through the crisis they'll stop feeling suicidal. Next to that, we know mental illness and depression play a huge role. Did you know every single survivor who was ever documented jumping off the Golden Gate bridge has said that the second they jumped they did not want to die?

Suicide can seem like the best thing to do when you are overloaded and just can't take things anymore. I am not ashamed to say, I have felt suicidal before and I am sure every single person on here, and every single person I know has. But as insignificant as you may feel, there are people who would be forever lost without you. As painful or unhappy as you may feel, there is a world of happiness waiting to be experienced. There's a line from a song I love, "Live through this, and you wont look back"

In the wake of the late Robin Williams, a man known for making others happy, and was so unhappy he had to end his life... I feel it's important I bring this all up with you.

I have two links for you. Here is the link to learn how to be trained as a suicide interventionist. Many workplaces, schools, and universities will cover the cost. It is world wide. https://www.livingworks.net/programs/asist/

If you are feeling suicidal there are trained interventionist just a phone call away. http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html

Feeling suicidal is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has been there or will be there at one point in their life. Please, ask for help if you need it. Or become skilled so you can help others.

It's like having a favorite uncle die... I was so sad at the news...
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I am absolutely gutted. I was fortunate enough to meet Robin at a mutual friend's restaurant opening in Manhattan, smack dab in in the middle of my short-lived comedy career. We chatted, he was cordial and encouraging and he said he was glad that he could tell I didn't expect him to be "on". He introduced me to his wife, who was very sweet. Soon, the crush of the crowd interrupted and our conversation was over. I watched as he went from Robin, the guy chit chatting with me to ROBIN WILLIAMS, living up to expectations. He looked back at me as if to say "oh well", and was gone. I never forgot that.

wow!!!

It truly is sad. I find it strange and heartbreaking how someone who has made people laugh for so many years and has created such genius to just turn around and do that. Sadly, even someone whose job is to make people laugh can have their own personal problems, and sometimes they just get too tough for the person to handle. I'm sure we will all miss him.
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Leira's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Leira on Facebook
    So sad, he was my all time favourite actor What Dreams May Come, was always my favourite movie as a kid, loved his serious work, I can't believe he survied, John Belushi, the remainders of the 80's and a shiet load of coke & drug addiction to still meet his end this sad way that's amazing you got to meet him Pealie...Nanu Nanu Robin xxx

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    oh its reached here too.
    kinda came here trying to get away from it.
    its just sooo fucking sad. i was absolutely shocked when i heard it
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

I'm still trying to process. This is so terrible, I don't have words for it.But Raina, thank you for the link. I plan to get first aid, CPR & mental health first aid certified in the next coming months.

Such a sad death. He was also in RV, and that was a movie my father and I used to watch a lot of the time, sort of our thing. So for both Robin Williams, someone in so many movies and bring smiles as a person to so many peoples faces, especially one that held such a place in our family, and also for my father to die in the same year.. It's truly saddening. I hope his family is receiving all the time and any help needed to function without a husband, father, and friend. He will be missed
    Last edited by XMermaidMarinaX; 08-11-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Low tide and high tea, the oysters are waiting for me
    If I'm not there on time I'll send my emissary~

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Calypso View Post
    oh its reached here too.
    kinda came here trying to get away from it.
    its just sooo fucking sad. i was absolutely shocked when i heard it
    same. thing is that i dont react to horrible events like this like other people. its kinda hard for me to feel grief. only if its someone who is really close to me. i still feel bad about one's passing but there is sooooo much grief over this dude its kinda making me uncomfortable.

he was such a beloved actor. he shall be missed

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I was so shocked when I saw the flood of the news on Facebook, I thought it must be some kind of joke. But it's not. He's gone and I can't believe it. I have never felt so saddened by a celebrity death before, and his depression/suicide hits home. Raina, thank you for the link. I would definitely be interested in getting that training.

I just want to watch all his films and cuddle up with my loved ones
    User formerly known as "Harley".

Thanks, Raina. Your post is such a constructive way to help people do some good and find/offer help in the wake of a tragic loss of life and talent.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meshy's Avatar
    Add Meshy on Facebook
    "O Captain, my Captain. Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln. Now in this class you can either call me Mr. Keating, or if you're slightly more daring, O Captain my Captain." ~ Robin Williams as John Keating.

Without going into too much detail, this movie and that one special teacher, changed my life. I'm currently dealing with a ton of shit in my own life, and have honestly thought about ending it all because of my drama. But I know the hole I would leave in the hearts of the people that love me, and while my thoughts are not all the time, I had a moment. I've been getting help with my own life drama, and I can't even express my sadness for this tragic event. He knew better, but something was just too tough and/or he was hurting way more than anyone knew. I've had to take a different perspective, 'look at things in a different way'. My drama is not the end of the world, nor is it the end of my life, it's a new beginning. (though it may not seem like it at this present moment) Dead Poet Society is a movie everyone should watch, go now! (Get your tissues)

Some other great quotes from that movie:
    "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

"
    [Keating stands on his desk]John Keating: Why do I stand up here? Anybody?
    Dalton: To feel taller!
    John Keating: No!
    [Dings a bell with his foot]
    John Keating: Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.
    "

Edit: I don't want any sympathy, I'm better for the most part and seeking help. T
    his just hit me extra hard because of my own crap. Now go watch this movie everyone!
    Last edited by Meshy; 08-12-2014 at 01:31 AM.

My deepest sympathies to his family...
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    So sad to see him go to soon. Much strength to his family.
    Your imagination is your only limit

Still difficult to deal with.. must be unendurable for the family.
    Still don't know what to say about it.
    This eSCALElated rather quickly.