Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Unwanted Contact: Merverts, Trolls, Collectors, and more with list

i was desensitized to that stuff too when i was younger. eventually as i got older i grew real tired of their shit. :\
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I used to be a kissing wench at a renaissance festival. This is where I would kiss a guy's cheek to leave lip prints and I would usually get tips. Pretty harmless, actually. But I learned early on to get a death grip on the guy's head because there were the punk asses who would try to turn their head at the last second to get a real kiss. Nope. Didn't let that happen. I've been groped and pinched as well, but I firmly took charge of the situation and they would stop. That experience has helped me deal with perverts in other times where I've had to be 'on display' at an event or party. You take charge, tell them the rules and don't let them get away with anything. We didn't have any handlers when wenching. Usually I was by myself. But I had a good sense on who I could play with and who to leave alone. I know with being a mermaid, you can't move away from a situation so thank the gods for merhandlers! lol.

Wow, um.... Either I've never been one for looks, or I live in super-safe communities. I've never been cat-called or stalked by anyone online.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I get lucky too. I get a few creeps but I'm not harassed too often. It's not even about looks. Once I was cat called in sweatpants and a bun.... From behind. It's just about oh look a woman lets disrespect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. It's not about looks. I'm not THAT pretty. But I do know (when I lived in Iran at least) that I looked very "rural". Which meant easier target. In America, I look foreign.... Which again translates to easy target.

If an Anglo woman is going to be harassed and cat-called, a minority immigrant woman stands even less chance because the aggressor already is aiming to dehumanize you, so when you're by-default dehumanized by the media... Yeah...
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've been harassed only a number of times in my life- every single time when I was sick/had a fever.

Never when I was feeling well.
    Apparently (or so I heard behind my back), I have a "scary as hell"-look when not running a fever.
    (not to mention, I'm perfectly capable of being my own merpunch-, er, wrangler.)

Or maybe, like Anahita said, it's about looking vulnerable, and someone who is ill certainly looks vulnerable.

I look mixed/ foreign :/ and regardless I what I'm wearing it happens. Though I've noticed it's reduced now since I've been wearing my weddings rings ..
    The SeaGlass Siren

I was explaining the other day to a co-worker of mine how I never swim alone for 'security reasons'. That I always like to have, at the very least another mer with me or my partner around She was actually shocked to hear of people acting anti-socially towards people like me and how deliriously stupid people get at the very notion of a simple mertail.

It's almost like seeing someone dressed as a mermaid triggers a synapse in their brain that reminds them of their Neanderthal roots or something.

That's why I really don't like events or crowds, preferring to swim during the week when pools are quiet (preferably early in the morning, with no children) and rarely ever/never during school holidays. Perhaps I just like my privacy. *shrugs*

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Annwyn^ I think I remember you posting before about a guy on youtube who wouldn't stop with the gross comments? I remembered I had experienced the same guy too. If you get a chance I'd love to have any screen caps if you still have them or even just a brief summary/his user name that other people could add to. I can't find the thread we discussed it in before. I don't have his comments anymore on my end, but I remember he was like bboy or something like that and particularly bad.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Oh thank sweet merciful Poseidon for this thread... Raina this is a great idea, thank you so much for allowing a safe, calm place to list all this info for other mers to see... Gordon Shagene had "liked" my mer-page under three or four different accounts. I just removed them all and banned them permanently after reading this thread. Thankfully I still only have the one "photoshoot", so I haven't been attracting any pervy comments yet. I honestly don't care if mers are what floats your boat, but having a completely inappropriate profile and contacting minors is an automatic boot from me.

Craig Bohn apparently poked me on my personal account as well. I'm pretty sure that's the only contact I've had with him, but that's also because I have no in-water shoots yet, methinks.

Perverts aren't just relegated to modelling, either... I've gotten far, far more than my fair share of perverts harassing me for absolutely no reason other than the fact that I have mammary glands. It's kind of a regular thing, depending on where I'm at/who I'm with, but on the internet it happens pretty much constantly just because people can be jerks.

Anahita: You? Rural?!?

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I had those experiences too. Anyone else for Perry??
    He actually just contacted me on my page a few days ago, glad to know this!

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Can someone show/tell me how to block someone off a page? I can't find him under my users that like my page but he keeps messaging me. It's Christoper Perry so any help ASAP would be appreciated.

For background I'm not sure if he actually "likes" my page but he messages me and likes my posts.

Member Pod of the Midwest
    Blocking people on FB:
    on your facebook page, to the right of your notifications, there is a padlock. if you click that, it opens up the privacy menu. Go to "how do I stop someone from bothering me?" and it will ask for his name. Once you type that in, it will open up a list of all users with that name. you can scroll through that list, and pick which profiles you want to block. Once blocked, the individual will not be able to contact you in any way (unless they create another profile)
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" Oscar Wilde

But he doesn't actually like the page so it doesn't pop up :P

Like that's for just your normal facebook page this is on my mermaid page

it shouldnt make a difference.. however, you can also go to his page, via clicking on his name in one of the messages he has sent you, and there is an option to block/report from there (next to message, it shows up as an elipsis (...))

oh.. for a professional page, I'm absolutely of no use, sorry

I did that but he is still liking my stuff and I don't want him to have any access to it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Drake- it only works to ban them from the page. And if you block them personally, they can still comment on your page you just wont see it. You can only ban them from the page if they have it liked.

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast