Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaporeon Gijinka Cosplay (Pic Heavy)

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod

Vaporeon Gijinka Cosplay (Pic Heavy)

Not really sure if this fits in this forum, but since I got the inspiration to create this costume from lurking on this board and the costume shares many mermaid-like motifs, I wanted to share.

Here is my reference:

The character is based off of the water pokemon Vaporeon, and is a fan art of what that pokemon might look like if they were a human. I fell in love with the silhouette of the costume and the fantasy of the water nymph/mermaid like design. But mostly I had been lurking this board for a while and had stumbled across the idea of using shell sequins to make mermaid tails. I thought that technique would be an amazing idea to try out on the bracer and shin guard parts. And thus, this project began.

I am not quite done, and will surely post pics when I get there, but here is some progress that can hopefully inspire mer-like costumes in the future.

This material I am using here is called worbla. It is a thermo plastic that comes in sheets. In these photos I cut my pattern out of pieces of craft foam and layered it with the worbla to create depth and strength, and then heatformed the piece of armor into the correct shape. I detailed the process of making the bracers in a youtube tutorial series here - check it out for more details!

I painted the bracer with some createx pearlized paint, and started to E600 shell shaped sequins onto the armor piece I created. It was a long and arduous process, and I got glue all over everything, but as you can see it was well worth the effort:

I had to get creative about how I placed the sequins because of the curves on the bracers, I snipped, cut and bent sequins to make sure I retained the shape of the bracer while still covering it cleanly in sequins. I also found this really awesome glittery blue stiff fabric at the craft store and made the small top fin piece. This way it is flexible and doesn't get in the way of my elbow.

I am wearing this costume at an event in an aquarium this weekend and still have some finishing touches to do but so far here is what everything looks like coming together:

Hope you guys enjoy my progress pictures and are as inspired by my work as I was by yours. Thanks so much for this awesome community resource!

PS You can find all of my cosplay progress on my facebook page or instagram!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    wowza!!!

Oh my gosh, Phaleure, your costume is looking gorgeous! <3 I am so in love with those bracers and shinguards! How long did it take for you to adhere all those scales?

Thank you so much!

Adhering all the scales took quite some time. It took me at least 4 hours to make the armor piece, and then another 2 hours per to glue on the scales on each of them. Quite the time consuming process, but I adore the look of them so I'd say it was worth it!

I'm wondering... Could these bracers be swimmable?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    O.O vaporeons are my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    I'm wondering... Could these bracers be swimmable?
    I bet they could be! The worbla understructure is completely water resistant and merfolk us E6000 and sequins on their tails all of the time. Also, the glitter fabric would dry if it got wet. The only thing I worry about is I used createx paint on the underside to cover the worbla color, and the createx (despite it being the paint of choice for most mers) seems to rub off fairly easily with just a bit of moisture. If I used a water resistant sealer or water resistant paint instead it would surely be swimmable!

I didn't really build my costume with swimming in mind, but I think that if you did something similar and chose a more suitable paint or sealing technique, you would be A-OK to take a dip!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    YES! I love Vaporeon! (and basically all eevee evolutions, especially umbreon.) This is so STELLAR! I love it!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I have a sheet of worbla that I've been dying to use for something.
    I think I might have an idea now, lol!
    Simply gorgeous! I LOVE the look of the sequins.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaleure View Post
    I bet they could be! The worbla understructure is completely water resistant and merfolk us E6000 and sequins on their tails all of the time. Also, the glitter fabric would dry if it got wet. The only thing I worry about is I used createx paint on the underside to cover the worbla color, and the createx (despite it being the paint of choice for most mers) seems to rub off fairly easily with just a bit of moisture. If I used a water resistant sealer or water resistant paint instead it would surely be swimmable!

I didn't really build my costume with swimming in mind, but I think that if you did something similar and chose a more suitable paint or sealing technique, you would be A-OK to take a dip!
    Sounds like a good plan to me!
    I'm really tempted to have bracers like those. They are great! Have you ever considered taking orders? I would be interested.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    WOW!
    gorgeous design.
    Those bracers look fantastic.

Here I go again, drooling over sequins

Oh my god.

Finish it and take amazing photos because....oh my god.

Senior Member Pod of Cali MarkF's Avatar
    With a similarly detailed tail that would make an awesome combination for a Mermaid modeling outfit.
    I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.
    It really upsets dull people!

WOW. That is SO fabulous! I love the use of the sequins. I want my next big project to be sequins but I'm not quite sure yet.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Just because I don't think I emphasized it enough VAPOREONS ARE MY FAVORITE. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH MY COD THATS AMAZING.... O-O
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Woah
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

I wanna sequin a pair of shoes like that now. Boots. Def boots.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Neri Elvina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Neri Elvina's Youtube Channel
    I love Pokemon!! Vaporeon and Espeon are my faves!
    YouTube: Mermaid Neri Elvina
    Instagram:
    Mermaid Neri Elvina

"Cause I'm no ordinary girl, I'm from the deep blue underworld
    Land or Sea, I've got the power if I just believe"