Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My tail from Aurore la sirène

My tail from Aurore la sirène

So my latex tail from Aurore la sirène is done, and shipping out on thursday!
    Since there isn't anyone here I know of who has ordered from her before, I thought writing about my experience and order (and then also reviewing it when it's here)
    could be a good idea.

The 8th september I made my order for the "Modèle Latex" and sent my measurements, along with a design idea and some color preferences.
    I wanted a tail that was more "realistic" than fantasy, and with smooth gradients through the colors. Blocky colors and sharp lines is not my cup of tea when it comes to tails.

This was my design:

"I would like metallic colors and some glitter if that's possible. And a smooth transition in colors between front and back. The lighter colors is the front/belly."

"
    Hello, for the measures they are all there, so you want as background colors bluish black color to gray-blue with glitter, it's quite feasible."

"
    Not black, dark greenblue!"

"i don't have dark green blue i have this in blue métalique dark:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater"

"Yes, that is good!"

"
    ok bluish black "

Initial discussion went well, I tried to be as clear as possible, since I knew that Aurore's english isn't perfect.
    Direct payment through my bank was made the next day.
    The price for my tail with the extra fins and including shell-top was 445€, which is 566usd.
    Aurore got my payment without problem, and told me that she would buy materials on the 16th september,
    and that she would regularly send me pictures to show the progress.

On the 18th I got my first picture!

The picture shows my "monofin silicone drying".

On the 26th I got a message from Aurore that she was in hospital, and that she was very sorry that she hadn't been able to work on my tail
    within the timeframe she had told me. For me, waiting was not a problem, her health is more important to me than me getting my tail a few weeks later.
    Luckily, she started to feel better and on the 4th I got my next set of pictures.

The pictures shows my two scalesheets, the first one is a pearlescent white, and the second one I believe is darkblue metallic.
    I was a bit sceptic at first when I saw the white, because we talked about it being blue, so I asked this:

"Oh that's a big contrast! Are the colors going to blend together well later?"
    "
    yes
    this is only the beginning of creation, there is still much work"
    "
    Good! It looks great, just wanted to be sure. "

I felt that it was a good answer as it still was very early in the process.
    On the 10th I got to see the tail almost fully assembled:

On the picture you can also see the size of monofin, which I believe she makes herself.
    On the 15th the fins were painted and attached, and the fluke also painted.

I thought the fluke and fins looked a bit different than the rest of the tail and asked what material it was.

"yes is in fabric covered with clear silicone"

That was something I didn't know, I thought that they would be in latex too. I can't say I'm disappointed, I haven't seen it in real life yet, and since it has silicone
    on top, the "fishy" feel I'm sure will be there. It's a new technique for me and I'm looking forward to see it up closer.
    I also wasn't sure if she was done with the painting of the fluke, and therefor didn't ask about the purple on the tip of it. My mistake, but I really didn't want to sound complaining and ungrateful, you know?

20th october I got a message from Aurore that the tail was done.

I became a bit shocked, because it didn't look like I had pictured it at all, and not really how we talked about it. I didn't know what to do, because I didn't want her to feel bad about me not liking it, and again, I didn't want to sound ungrateful.

"The front is very white, and there is not the purple on the bottom fin
    " Hello, for the measures they are all there, so you want as background colors bluish black color to gray-blue with glitter, it's quite feasible."
    The front is not gray-blue"
    "No it is pearly white, and yes, because I do not have the right to make identical reproduction
    it's not good for you??"
    "
    I know you can't make exactly, but you made it very white, when you said blue.
    Is it possible to make a bit more blue in the front and have the middle stay white? So it blends a bit more."
    "ok "

This was in the evening, so I thought she maybe would try to fix it the next day, but no! Not very long after I got a new picture:

It looked much better, and I felt relieved.

Yes it looks better! The light blue is a nice color! Can you make another lighter blue layer inside of the light blue on the upper part? I think it'll be perfect. It looks so much better already. Thank you. "

Around 9 in the evening I got the last pictures from Aurore. She really wanted me to be satisfied, I didn't expect her to work that late just for me.
    I was so scared that she would get mad at me for complaining, but she tried her hardest to fix this for me, and I'm very grateful for that.

I really like the lightblue colors she used in the end, and that the fluke and fins are unique sculpts.
    If I could change one thing, it would be to add the purple on the bottom of the fluke, I don't know why it wasn't added, maybe it wasn't possible. It's a detail I can live without, I am satisfied with the outcome.
    The cost for shipping to Sweden was 49€, or 62$.

All in all, I have so far had a good experience with this tailmaker, she sent lots of pictures through the progress, and if you live in Europe and don't want to spend
    a fortune on shipping this is a excellent option for you. The prices match very well to her products, and she offers tails in many price-ranges.

When I have a tail there will be a full review of it, and pictures of course!
    I'm a bit scared about doing an unboxing video since English ins't my first language. (Convince me!)

Would I recommend a friend to order from Aurore la sirène?
    So far, yes!

Last edited by Yulia; 11-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you can post images by doing [img ] https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...a321d702b4f720 [ / img] without the spaces FYI

I know I can, but I chose not too, because they are very large.

Half your links don't open though, and the forum tends to autosize images shared using the code.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Half your links don't open though, and the forum tends to autosize images shared using the code.
    Awrghfrsh.
    Odd, they all work for me. :/
    In the editor they look horribly big.

I'll fix it.

thanks, yay now we can see them all. LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. You must be so happy it's been a long time coming!

I'm soooooo excited!
    The wait has been so long (if you count in the Merdivas tail) so I don't think I really understand it yet, that I will have a tail soon.
    Next summer will be a great one.

So happy for you Yulia
    To me, it's the best tail she ever made so far.

I love Aurore's tails, and this is one of the best I've ever seen <3 Congrats!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

So, I just got home, it's too dark to make an unboxing video right now, so that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Through the large holes though, I noticed a few things....
    For starters, there's dirt and a scratch from when customs rummaged through the box, and theres no bubblewrap inside, so the latex has started to stick together.
    The scaletop is flexible and made of latex, which is a good thing cus I'm quite busty.
    My hipfins are SEWN on, with regular thread!? I'm not sure how long that will hold up, time will tell.
    The shading between the scalesheets is almost nonexistent, which was one of the most important things for me, the seam looks very prominent.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I can't see a single image except the design on top, so I can't comment on the tail, but I'm happy you finally have one.

Somehow all pictures have disappeared, I'll fix that. :/

So the tail is opened, nothing is broken, but overall it's very sloppy.
    Hairs and goop and bubbles everywhere in the latex, the colors doesn't really match what I asked for (but it still looks good). The back is not metallic, even though
    we both agreed on that.
    The hip fins are not going to last long I'm afraid, they are handsewn on with regular thread, and the stitches aren't tight. If I pull, I can see right through.
    In some places the underlying fabric are poking through because the silicone didn't cover it, so water will drain in their and It's going to be hell to get that dried.
    The scalesheets are also sewn together, but probably on a machine.

I tried to get my foot into one of the pockets, and they are the perfect size, but it's very tight so I didn't get the strap over my heel. You sure was right when you said it was hard to get on a tail!
    The fluke is huuuuge, and I can't wait to try it in water.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Getting a tail has been such a trial for you! I hope that your first swim is wonderful and that modifications can be made to make this a great tail for you!

Thank you Pearlie!
    All in all I am satisfied, I'm just worried that the quality isn't what I expected, and that may break or have complications. Or get moldy.

I mean, this is my first (and probably not last) tail, and non-mermaidy people think it looks good so they probably won't notice these kind of details that I do.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    It looks good, but your concerns are all valid. It it seems to have weak points (like where the fins are sewn on), it's best to address them before they fail, rather than after. I mean, you want this to last as long as possible - it's not just for show or for one or two events, like a parade or party costume.

I'm sure there are plenty of mers who will be happy to advise you! Fifi seems to be the expert on refurbishing!

I sewed my fins on after they ripped off and it works a million times better IMO. Especially for loads of use. Even with stuff in the box its hard not to make tails stick together. After a few swims it'll be less tacky. Aurore is still a pretty new tail maker. I wouldn't of expected something perfect but it still sounds miles better than several other tails I've owned

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Try sewing the fins on with upholstery thread- it's a lot stronger. I have this theory that tails are like pointe shoes, you have to cobble them once you get them to get them perfect! A good trick I used to get the straps over my heels is to put a string on the strap, so you can pull it over your heel once your feet are in the pockets.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Aww Yulia, it's been such a long process for you to get a tail, I'm glad to see you finally have one! Even with the issues, it's still a beautiful tail, and I hope it works well for you in water!

I really like the look of silicone-on-fabric fins!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Here's some detail-pics I took with my cellphone!

This is where it connects to the fluke^

The waist, the two sides and fin are sewn together, the first stitch already broke, when I tried to get both my legs in it.