Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magictail Actual Colors

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Aika's Avatar

Magictail Actual Colors

(Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place.)

I've been wondering about two Magictails. Some people say the Arielle has blue in it, some say it is green, and others complain of white in the tail. Meanwhile, I have heard that the Marina is darker in person. I was just wondering how much? I thank you in advance, as I have yet to meet a mermaid in my area.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I can tell you that, because I've seen all the colours in person.

The Marina is dark blue, and Ariel is a lighter blue.
    The difference is not very striking, which is probably why they photoshopped their example pictures of the tails on their selling website-
    they heavily turned up the contrast on the Ariel tail photo, so it looks turquoise/bluegreen, but in reality it isn't.

Which is quite a bummer, might I say.
    A friend of mine, who wanted a blue-green tail badly, got one that looked hardly different from the blue one I got.
    A seller should never alter the image of the product he/she has to sell :/

If you want a green Magictail, you will have to settle for the Neptuna, but it's not a rich green, it looks more yellowish imo.

Thanks for the information, Echinda!
    I didn't mean actual green, I just meant a teal color. Sorry about that!
    You are right, it isn't cool that they do that, but it is good to know!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    and they're all really see through when wet! just be aware. at merfest I could see through everyones.

Thanks, Raina!
    After learning these things and re-reading the reviews on here, I think that I'll go with a different tailmaker!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    As this thread has the perfect title, I'm going to post a few sample pictures of Magictail colours here.

Btw, MT gave their site a facelift with more and different pictures.
    It looks like the contrast was turned up heavily on all of them.

This will probably not lessen the confusion about the real colours, so here are examples of how the tails look in reality, vs the photoshop.

The blue Marina tail on their site:
    Name:  MT-marina.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  345.0 KB

and when not (heavily) photoshopped:
    Name:  real-marina.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  55.5 KB

The Ariel tail on their site (the worst offender imo, there are now like 5 different shades of this tail to be seen in their shop):
    Name:  MT-ariel.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  147.8 KB

and Ariel in reality looks like this:
    Name:  real-ariel.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  77.9 KB

The Sirene model on their site:
    Name:  MT-sirene.jpg
Views: 5520
Size:  322.4 KB

and in reality:
    Name:  real-sirene.JPG
Views: 2630
Size:  643.5 KB

I could go on with the other models, but I think it's clearly visible the contrast was turned up.
    Last edited by Echidna; 02-19-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Yea. I was fairly disappointed with the colors not being accurate. When I opened the box, all I could think of was, "Its nice but its not the same like on the website." But the excitement of having a tail override the disappointment at the time.
    Formerly known as ireneho

This is worse than I thought it was. I'm definitely not getting a Magictail.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mer-gal's Avatar
    the differences are so definite it makes you wonder if they ever got complaints? And if they got complaints then why are the still photo shopping their pics on their website?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I think for many it's their first tail, so the joy of having a tail overrides the disappointment, like Jaffa said.

I've noticed that many people loading up their Magictail images somewhere photoshop the pictures as well, so they look similar to the "contrasted" shop images

Personally, I was more disappointed with the MT monofin (Seriously, my 5 bucks short rubber kiddie bifins, which are over 30 years old, give way more propulsion than the 60€ upwards MT fin!).

Not sure what's up with the different gradients.

If you've been at one of the Magictail Gatherings, where all people have one on, you can see that every tail of every model looks the same colourwise.
    The differences are manipulated, not real.
    Last edited by Echidna; 02-19-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Shameless. They also Photoshopped the skin of their models so heavily that they don't even look alive anymore.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

I remember there used to be quite a bit of complaints about the monofins snapping. But I feel like you get what you pay for they aren't that expensive.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    "You get what you pay for"?
    The Magictail monofin in medium size (kids and women with very small feet) costs over 60€.
    Large (women with normal feet) is 70€.

For that kind of money, you get the Finis Wave, Training, or Rapid, and also the Hydra on Amazon.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    I have some non-modified pics in both my Arielle and Marina Magictails in my albums if you want to see them, Aika.

I find that the pics that depict the colors in their most true form are the ones taken in the sun. However, I have to say I have had not had any issues with the fabric being see-through.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, Aika.

Also, I think they have replaced the materials on the monofin. I have had 2, and the second is definitely thicker and stronger than the first one. It gives more propulsion, but the bad thing is that the screws in the back tend to come loose, and I have to re-attach them after every swim. I have a couple of videos in my YouTube channel explaining these issues.
    Last edited by Talia; 11-23-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: more info

Senior Member Pod of Cali Cerulean's Avatar
    I feel like the blue finfun I have is close to that nonphotoshopped blue... I dunno. Lame photoshopped pictures are lame when used as an excuse to sell a product.

I mean in general, you get what you pay for. dont expect performance level tails for such a low amount.

What I don't get is if they aren't getting the color that they want and instead photoshop the images, why not just edit the print image/file to be that vibrant and order test swatches until you get it right? Or if it's the printer they'r using, why not search around for better printed fabric providers?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Poo, that Arielle "green" looks so fake when you enlarge the photo! Like they didn't even mess with the saturation, but instead just painted green over it I do like the actual colour of the Arielle, it looks really nice in Talia's photos! But really, they shouldn't be photoshopping the tails to look better - if anything, only to make them look true-to-life if the lighting situation was poor, etc.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    My purple Magictail is much darker than the above poster's and their website. Its not that bright or shimmery in sunlight waters. And now that I have other tails, the material is way thinner than the spandex one can buy at the shops or Fin Fun's. Also, I have been stretching a small corner of it, just to see how it would last. When the fabric stretches, it looks like the painted layer didn't go all the way through the material, so you can see white in some parts. But its not that noticeable if one is swimming unless its a huge part that's showing.

Here they made the colors brighter in the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujJHFBp_nI#t=47
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 11-23-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

"You get what you pay for"?
    The Magictail monofin in medium size (kids and women with very small feet) costs over 60€.
    Large (women with normal feet) is 70€.
    And ps back when I saw all those complaints, monofins weren't offered as a separate price they were included. It was 100euro for a tail with the monofin.