Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Flukes!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Misty that looks great but why not have the power and push of a monofin? I'm really curious about this.
    Maybe she wants to crawl on the pool floor like a stone fish?
    Formerly known as ireneho

If you use a clear Triton or Hydra, you will have a see through fluke,like mine

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I found out for myself through trial and error. I slowly added fins and extra flowing bits per tail.
    Oh that's a great idea, thanks for all the info! I'm really only planning on having one or two tails, do you think it would affect the quality of the tail to: First make it simple, no bells and whistles, just the tail; swim in it until I'm confident; then slowly start to add thinks like a bigger fluke/better monofin, decorative fins, etc...? Like, over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    Just going to post a pic of my future tail because it shows the fluke and fins. However, it IS kinda seethrough and I plan on making it without a monofin, but if you didn't want the membrane parts seethrough I think you'd be good to go.

As always, if someone uses my art or design without my permission, I'll be unhappy. XD
    Misty that is beautiful! I think the propulsion might be a little lackluster without a monofin though. If you're worried about people stealing your art you could always watermark it

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I like the gorilla tape and ziptie method. That's how I did mine too. Its lasted well over 3 years without falling apart.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Oh that's a great idea, thanks for all the info! I'm really only planning on having one or two tails, do you think it would affect the quality of the tail to: First make it simple, no bells and whistles, just the tail; swim in it until I'm confident; then slowly start to add thinks like a bigger fluke/better monofin, decorative fins, etc...? Like, over time?
    Making tails is addictive! And there's no such thing as too many tails.

I've got about 12 now, haven't tallied though, 8 of which are homemade.

And I still want more!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Tula View Post
    I like the gorilla tape and ziptie method. That's how I did mine too. Its lasted well over 3 years without falling apart.
    Haha, I don't even know what gorilla tape is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Making tails is addictive! And there's no such thing as too many tails.

I've got about 12 now, haven't tallied though, 8 of which are homemade.

And I still want more!
    Well it's not a matter of "too many" as it is a matter of affording the materials. I'm a mer on a very tight budget, lol.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Haha, I don't even know what gorilla tape is

Well it's not a matter of "too many" as it is a matter of affording the materials. I'm a mer on a very tight budget, lol.

Its like duct tape but stronger and thicker. www.gorillatough.com
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

I would not be sacrificing the advantages of a monofin... I'd figure out how to have someone custom make me the "ribs" of the fluke, and combine that with foot pockets as if it were a monofin. Then I'd just have silicone "draped" between and... I'm thinking it would work as well as any other tail with a monofin in it. However, that was before I knew that monofins could come clear. XD Or maybe I could make a clear monofin or commission one... instead of all the complicated stuff I was thinking of doing.

So I'll maybe do it instead with a clear monofin... just super worried about it showing. It'd definitely be cheaper to do it that way I think.

(And no, I'm sure I'm a lionfish, not a stonefish. That was actually really funny to me though- thank you for the laugh!)

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I can't wait to see the finish work once you get that going. Your way of handing the monofin is something I would had never even think of.

I would not be sacrificing the advantages of a monofin... I'd figure out how to have someone custom make me the "ribs" of the fluke, and combine that with foot pockets as if it were a monofin. Then I'd just have silicone "draped" between and... I'm thinking it would work as well as any other tail with a monofin in it. However, that was before I knew that monofins could come clear. XD Or maybe I could make a clear monofin or commission one... instead of all the complicated stuff I was thinking of doing.

So I'll maybe do it instead with a clear monofin... just super worried about it showing. It'd definitely be cheaper to do it that way I think.

(And no, I'm sure I'm a lionfish, not a stonefish. That was actually really funny to me though- thank you for the laugh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Tula View Post
    Its like duct tape but stronger and thicker. www.gorillatough.com
    Ah, I see. Did you cover it with anything? I'm a little confused as to how it fits with the tail.

Or maybe I could make a clear monofin or commission one... instead of all the complicated stuff I was thinking of doing.

Sometimes it just takes another's point of view to help do things another, possibly easier way

Yep. I'll definitely make a post when I begin production on my tail- but... that won't be for at least another five years since I'd probably die of sadness if I grew out of it. I'll have it by the time I'm 25, I know that. That's in ten years though... XD

I'll look forward to it!

Aw, thank you! I'm also drawing some of my friends as mers... I'll be sure to post those under the tail design section. XD

Aw, thank you! I'm also drawing some of my friends as mers... I'll be sure to post those under the tail design section. XD
    Ooo, I'll have to go check! ^_^

Hi MeliPixie awesome hope my flukes help inspire you too Name:  collagen.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  104.6 KB these are my #wave #rapid modified fins, #aquarius fin along with their newest #Luna mermaid silicone fin green/purple all by: FINISINC.COM and also have the Mahina Mermaid fin by MahinaMermaid best of luck cant wait to see your design

Name:  12745988_957671610991116_1558178078655284306_n.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  122.9 KB Had to share my #mertailor tail he uses the #wave fin in his #basicsilicone tails

Quote Originally Posted by The Harlem Mermaid View Post
    Name:  12745988_957671610991116_1558178078655284306_n.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  122.9 KB Had to share my #mertailor tail he uses the #wave fin in his #basicsilicone tails
    Thanks for sharing! You are a lovely mer ^_^

Your previous post, aside from the Mahina which can double as a fluke, those aren't exactly what I had in mind, those are monofins, right? Am I getting the terminology wrong or isn't there a difference? The fluke is like the actual end of the tail, and the monofin is the swim aid that usually goes inside the fluke to give propulsion and stability. That's what my impression was?

Your welcome MeliPixie and yes you are correct sorry i actually forgot there is a difference i always thought of it as one once inside tail. look forward to seeing your creation

MeliPixie i can share my other tails with these fins in them if you wish let me know

Quote Originally Posted by The Harlem Mermaid View Post
    Your welcome MeliPixie and yes you are correct sorry i actually forgot there is a difference i always thought of it as one once inside tail. look forward to seeing your creation

MeliPixie i can share my other tails with these fins in them if you wish let me know [/COLOR]
    Oh good *whew* I thought I might have gotten it wrong I'd love to see your tails, please!