PDA

View Full Version : MerNation $1200 silicone tail review!

Mermaid Martha
01-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Hello! So here is my MerNation tail review! Lots to say so here goes!

I first contacted MerNation through their etsy page on the 13th of November 2014. I was interested in purchasing one of there $1200 solid colour silicone tails and wanted to ask a few questions about the tail before making the purchase. They replied within 24hrs and answered all my questions with ease. They immediately made me feel happy with the tail choice that I made and filled me in on extra info that I wanted to know.

I then stated to contact them via their email which was much easier and began the planning and paying process with them. Due to time differences as I am in the UK my replies would often be at ridiculous hours so contact was usually in the evenings for me. I paid for the tail on the 15th via PayPal which did add an extra cost to the process so this is something to be aware of.

Then had to decide exactly what I wanted! What scales I would like, pectoral fin design etc. I decided to go for there regular scales with my own design of pectoral fins which would sit in the middle of my thighs when the tail was on. I drew out the pectoral fun design and started to work on my duct tape dummy.

Mernation sent me a load of instructions about how to make the dummy etc as soon as I paid so I could get to work on it asap. I did! Within 48hrs I had made my dummy and was off to the post office to send it. I used royal mail as it was the most convenient for me at the time. The parcel took a little while to get to the Mernation but as soon as it got there, they let me know and go to work.

However it it was at this point that I was a pain and changed my ideas on colours (green to gold) and I wanted to add a scale bra to my order. However due to my financial situation I asked permission to pay for the bra at the same time as the postage. To my delight MerNation said yes and started to work on the bra! However I am a tricky size (30DD) so they had to order it online which was added to the price of the bra.

They at completed the bra and sent a picture to me before the tail. I was more then pleased with the beautiful image they sent me and was eager to see the tail!

My my original plan was to paint the tail myself however at the MerNation contacted me and asked if I would like them to paint the tail for me for an extra cost. I said yes and it was definitely the right decision!

They at sent me pictures the day after with incredible images of my tail! It was absolutely perfect. It was exactly what I had emailed them and I was so so pleased. It was beautiful!

I recieved the the tail on the 13th of January 2015 just two months after contacting them. Which was extremely fast! They finished the tail in December however the tail was sent to me in January at the same time as Seavixen's (which is very beautiful!)

The tail is everything I could have dreamed of and more. It is just beyond incredible. It fits like a glove and is very comfortable which surprised me! The seams are not irritating or distracting within the tail. It is super sparkly and the colours in the top and tail are wonderfully blended! They even added in a Finlet hairpiece! This tail is perfect and I can't even begin to describe how amazing MerNation has been.

The contact they have with their clients is fantastic. They are there every step of the way and are more then happy to answer ANY questions that you have. They are extremely fast at replying and left me feeling so happy with the whole experience. They are just wonderful! I can't sing their praises enough! Their work is phenomenal it's just beautiful! If you have any doubts about this company you shouldn't. You should choose MerNation! I know I will in the future!

This is is my unboxing video so if you want to watch that it is below! It'll give you a better understanding of the beauty of this tail and my first impressions! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7mDyCAwgc

Thank you again MerNation!

http://mernetwork.com/index/webkit-fake-url://64255461-4b46-4f7c-a8d8-ba1fb41c32d6/imagejpeg

26494926bdgqifkwb
01-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Were the pectoral fins included in the $1200?

Meronica
01-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Oh how gorgeous! I am strongly considering Mernation for my next silicone tail. How much extra were the pectoral fins, if you don't mind me asking? (:

Mermaid Martha
01-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks! I believe they were about $180 but I can't remember exactly sorry!

Chrissy
01-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Your video is adorable and I love to see hoe excited you were. Love the hair clip that is super cute!!! I am so happy we have another mermaid in the pod!!! Can't wait for the swim video. Congrats again!!

Mermaid Martha
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Your video is adorable and I love to see hoe excited you were. Love the hair clip that is super cute!!! I am so happy we have another mermaid in the pod!!! Can't wait for the swim video. Congrats again!!
Thank you! That's so sweet! Hopefully get some swim videos soon

Talia
01-15-2015, 04:22 PM
I just left a comment on your video. It is so gorgeous! If I ever get a silicone tail, it will be from Mernation. Thank you for all the close ups. It's the first time I have seen drain holes so clearly.

Mermaid Nerida
01-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Wow! Your tail is absolutely stunning! I'm definitely going with Mernation for my first silicone tail.

Seraphina Suds
01-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Ah I've been waiting for someone to review this type of tail! It's so pretty! I'm glad you're pleased with it! It seemed like you were really able to stick your fingers in the drainage holes; are they well hidden or do they kind of hang open?

Mermaid Martha
01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Ah I've been waiting for someone to review this type of tail! It's so pretty! I'm glad you're pleased with it! It seemed like you were really able to stick your fingers in the drainage holes; are they well hidden or do they kind of hang open?
No they are very well hidden. I only noticed them because I knew where to look. The colour of the silicone hides the openings very well. They are about an inch wide so very small. I just wanted everyone to get a good look!

Seraphina Suds
01-15-2015, 05:18 PM
No they are very well hidden. I only noticed them because I knew where to look. The colour of the silicone hides the openings very well. They are about an inch wide so very small. I just wanted everyone to get a good look!
Ah, I see~ Thank you!

Mermaid Saoirse
01-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Your tail is gorgeous! That was extremely sweet of them to offer to paint the plum details on. I hope you get many good swims from it!

merkitty
01-16-2015, 12:28 AM
Ouuu, Mermaid Martha, your unboxing video is making me shake with excitement for when I order my tail from them. It is beautiful! I hope you can post a wear and tear review after you've used it a couple of times.:swoon:

Mermaid Martha
01-17-2015, 04:13 AM
Ouuu, Mermaid Martha, your unboxing video is making me shake with excitement for when I order my tail from them. It is beautiful! I hope you can post a wear and tear review after you've used it a couple of times.:swoon:
Definitely will do a wear and tear but that probably won't be until the summer when I get the most use out of it

selkie13
01-18-2015, 06:06 AM
How much was their postage to the uk? I'm thinking of ordering a tail from them myself
Your tail looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Martha
01-18-2015, 04:03 PM
How much was their postage to the uk? I'm thinking of ordering a tail from them myself
Your tail looks great!

the postage wasn't too bad it was around £150 so it was less then I thought which was nice!

selkie13
01-18-2015, 06:41 PM
the postage wasn't too bad it was around £150 so it was less then I thought which was nice!

That's brilliant! So much cheaper than I first thought. I was expecting it to be twice as much as that

Mermaid Neri Elvina
01-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Martha I am so happy for you!! I can't wait to get one too!

Sent from my Tablet using Tapatalk

Mermaid Neri Elvina
01-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Was customs really expensive?

Mermaid Martha
01-24-2015, 04:10 AM
Was customs really expensive?

Customs was more expensive then postage. Not by too much but it made a difference to my bank! It's not as scary as people think! So there isn't really any reason to not order from the U.S. really. But thanks! I'm really pleased! It's amazing :)

Mermaid Neri Elvina
01-24-2015, 04:21 AM
Customs was more expensive then postage. Not by too much but it made a difference to my bank! It's not as scary as people think! So there isn't really any reason to not order from the U.S. really. But thanks! I'm really pleased! It's amazing :)
How much more?

Mermaid Martha
01-24-2015, 04:34 AM
How much more?

Only by about 50-60 more then postage so not bad

Mermaid_Kenzee
02-21-2015, 01:56 PM
How's the tail care? Is it hard to take care of? Also how do you store it?

Mermaid Martha
02-23-2015, 10:45 AM
How's the tail care? Is it hard to take care of? Also how do you store it?
It's fairly simple. My tail is currently in the bath having a serious clean after this week. However I still haven't used it in water so I can't say how easy cleaning will be after it's been for a swim. I will be cleaning it in the same way as you would after water use anyway so I can let you know how that goes. So far I've been storing it in my spare room. Flat on the bed with support in the monofin pockets. So it's been very easy so far! Ill let you know how tail cleaning goes if you like. Hope that helps

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:09 PM
yay just got the details sorted for my tail! there are a few ahead of mine but hopefully they'll be starting soon :) !!!!

Yulia
02-27-2015, 06:17 PM
yay just got the details sorted for my tail! there are a few ahead of mine but hopefully they'll be starting soon :) !!!!
You're getting the silver one right?
I've been thinking about it all day. I'm really excited about seeing it. :)
Debating myself if I should get a basic myself, but I think some of the singlecolored ones look lifeless. A metallic color with shine would look better though I guess.

Does anyone know how easy it is to add paint to them btw?

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Yep metallic seemed like the best bet for a single colour. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yulia
02-27-2015, 06:29 PM
I wonder if they have a lightbluemetallic......

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
I think they make their own colours ? I might be wrong

Yulia
02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
I'll probably have to ask them.
The only cons I have is the design, not my superfavourite, and that they have the wave inside.

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
You mean the monofin? I'm getting a finis rapid in mine.

Mermaid Pickles
02-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Silver will be really pretty! Also, I think you can request a different monofin. I will probably cost a bit more, though.

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:41 PM
I hope so :) I'm just so excited !

Mermaid Pickles
02-27-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm excited for you!

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm hoping to get loads of pictures in the fairy pools on the Isle of Skye

Mermaid Pickles
02-27-2015, 06:45 PM
OOooh yesss! And then you haaave to put them her on mernetwork! That seems like an AWESOME place to get pictures! Never been, but I've heard it's gorgeous.

Yulia
02-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Yeah but the wave and rapid has the same straps that are a bit finicky when I use them. They tend to fall off.
I like the shell-scales and the other flukeshape they have, like this tail:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/1402300_994378947254959_4227587281654606480_o.jpg

SummerRogue
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm getting the other fluke and smooth scales :)

Mermaid Pickles
02-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I think you could probably ask them to get a specific type of monofin. I would ask, honestly. They seem pretty nice. They'd probably be okay with using an alternate monofin type.

MermaidCelesteFL
03-06-2015, 05:41 PM
I paid extra to get the competitor in mine, and I'm going with the shell-shaped scales and the second fluke design.

Mermaid Pickles
03-06-2015, 05:49 PM
If I get a silicone tail, I'll probably just mail them my competitor I have here.

Imogen Finnly
03-22-2015, 03:21 PM
They raised the price from 1200 to 1700. I heard it from another mernation thread. Wahh...

formerly jayy