PDA

View Full Version : Ears hurting after 6 feet?

Tolgarr
01-22-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm seeing all these beautiful mermaids and mermen going down 10, 20 feet into the water and I have trouble going 6 feet down. Is there any remedy to this? I have earplugs but they don't work too well.

Another problem is when I get down that deep, water will rush into my nose whatever I do. And the nose clams I have don't cut it. Is there any advice on this either?

Marlin
01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
You probably have the same problem I do where your sinuses don't clear as easy. When you start to get down to where it hurts, hold your nose and try to blow out of it. It will cause your ears to "pop" and allow you to go down further. Just be careful.

Reference: Valsalva_maneuver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver)

Hope this helps! :)

Aziara
01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you need to equalize. Try swallowing or pinching your nose and blowing gently.
As for water getting up your nose, I dunno what to say for that... Still happens to me sometimes too, lol.

Theta
01-22-2015, 04:20 PM
One way I kind of trained myself to get used to having water up my nose is to use a neti-pot. It won't hurt you, and after you've done it in the comfort of your own bathroom a few times water getting up your nose isn't as panic-inducing.

There's another method to equalize pressure that freedivers use, other than the hold your nose and blow thing. It's called the Frenzel manuver and is more difficult to learn but gets better results.

Here's some more info:

http://freedivingexplained.blogspot.com/2008/03/basics-of-freediving-equalization.html

Tolgarr
01-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I can't clear my sinuses at all, Marlin. I never knew how to equalize so that'll be really handy. :) Thank you! And thank you, Theta and Aziara. That info is really helping me understand, Theta. :D

Echidna
01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
I have earplugs but they don't work too well.

I hope they are vented?

Plugs or no, you still need to equalize.
If you for whatever reason cannot equalize at any depth, do not try to go deeper.

Do not dive when you have a beginning cold, chronic sinus problems, that kind of stuff.
Don't drink milk or eat dairy a few hours before diving, milk builds mucus.
Some divers say not to drink fruit juice either.

MerShellly
01-22-2015, 09:19 PM
I hope they are vented?

Plugs or no, you still need to equalize.
If you for whatever reason cannot equalize at any depth, do not try to go deeper.

Do not dive when you have a beginning cold, chronic sinus problems, that kind of stuff.
Don't drink milk or eat dairy a few hours before diving, milk builds mucus.
Some divers say not to drink fruit juice either.
Huh, I never knew that. Very informative! :)

Kaila Mermaid
01-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Also, taking an OTC decongestant such as Mucinex can also help break up the gunk in your sinuses to make you dive-ready. I used to have the same problem. I couldn't even fly without excruciating pain. If all else fails, see your doctor about your sinuses. It could be a chronic issue. They can also use a device to open your passages and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It's a balloon look in' thing.

Theta
01-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Happy to help :) Seriously, try the neti-pot, though. It will probably help your sinus problems across the board- that's why I use one :)

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

Mermaid_Jordyn
01-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Okay so I am partially deaf in both of my ears and have major sinus problems and my lowest depth is probably 8 feet but when they start to hurt a lot is 10 feet. You might have really clogged up sinuses like me so I always have to cough up some wonderful phlegm or blow my nose before I go in a deeper pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk