PDA

View Full Version : Better for a Begginer???

Nomie
01-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I read the guides and references about fabric/spandex tail for a Begginer.

My question is: Is it better for a begginer to make their own tail first or buy their tail first or both?

Mermaid Jaffa
01-22-2015, 05:38 PM
If you know how to sew, make your own tail. If you don't, buy it. Lots of fabric tail makers out there, just have to find one that you like.

Mermaid Ruthie
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
I think it is 10 times more fun and awesome and unquie to make your own, but buying tail work also.

Mermaid Alea
01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I think it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to sew your own fabric tail and customize it just the way you want, paint it, etc or do you want to not have to worry about making a tail and just have instant gratification? Also if you don't have a sewing machine or access to one you might want to buy a tail... You can always paint on a tail you buy. Or you can always buy your first tail then make your own later.

I haven't swam in my tail yet (and it is still half done), I first need to learn how to use the monofin which I will be doing tomorrow if all goes well. Having almost no experience with using a sewing machine, after getting the hang of it on some extra fabric, I had lots of fun making the tail and seeing it come together. The tutorials you can find for making a tail make it fairly easy to do.

Your local fabric store might not have cool looking swimsuit fabric, so you might want to order something neat looking online.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-22-2015, 05:49 PM
And remember, it doesn't have to be fish scales or shiny fabric. You can be any mermaid you like!

Mermaid Nerida
01-22-2015, 06:31 PM
When I was eleven, I made a tail from a pair of thick tights, and flowy fabric... Not sure if this helped but there you go.

Mermaid Galene
01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
I started with two fabric tails made by two different makers, and then I embellished each with extra fins and fluke decorations. That was a really great way to start. I didn't want to spend a lot of time making a fabric tail, since I knew it wouldn't be long before I would move to neoprene and/or silicone.

Fun123joker
01-22-2015, 09:56 PM
i say its best to make your own because then you an see how it works and make changes all you want while if you bought a tail you might be scared to make adjustments if you want

Miyu
01-23-2015, 03:17 AM
I'm experienced at sewing, so I sewed my first tail myself - I even sewed it by hand, because I didn't have a sewing machine at the time! I personally preferred to sew my own tail, for several reasons:

* I am a very odd size - petite but curvy - and I never quite find pre-made clothes/costumes that fit me properly, so I would have to modify a bought tail anyways
* saved loads of money, because I bought my spandex on clearance (I still have leftovers)
* Got to use my preferred monofin, which doesn't fit any pre-made fabric tails (plus I get to show off the clear monofin with my fluke design)
* Very unique tail, I created exactly the look I wanted

Sabrina the Selkie
02-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Making mine with leggings, skirt fabric, and soon I'm painting over the whole thing. In the picture, its just the original color of the fabric, and it still is, but it won't be for long.
And totally feel Miyu on the petite but curvy thing. Got roller derby legs and my singing parent's rib cage. Am also 5'2 and a four. Nothing fits in the thigh and chest. *sigh*