PDA

View Full Version : Any snake lovers here?

Felicia
01-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Just kind of curious if any of you are snake lovers?
I keep/breed ball pythons and have a few corn snakes

Mer-Crazy
01-30-2015, 03:43 AM
LOVE snakes! My mum is scared of them though so I was never allowed to get one :/ Mostly carpet pythons, I love cuddling with them. *gasp* Mermaid photoshoot with a snake would be awesome!

Merman Jamie
01-30-2015, 05:07 AM
I absolutely love snakes but never had the chance to own one since half my family hate snakes. I am planning on getting a black headed python soon if i can.

Echidna
01-30-2015, 08:27 AM
I adore snakes, especially large ones.
I also like eels and other serpentine fish.

Never had any as a pet though, as I doubt they'd be happy in a tiny box (same reason I got rid of my aquarium, I never had the space for one large enough to not be cruel for the fish).

I saw a bathing video of a large python in a kiddie pool, and I thought it'd be awesome to have a snake with you in a freshwater pool.
Can't even mention that with my family, though.
My father pretty much has ophidophobia, and he'd be screaming at the thought xD

Mermaid Lorelei
01-30-2015, 09:24 AM
I adore snakes. I'd never been allowed to own reptiles (seems most of us have the same issue with scared or disgusted relatives), but now that my husband and I are in our own place, we finally got one! We just bought our first juvenile Bearded Dragon (you can see pictures of her on my instagram) and if all goes well, we'll be getting a python in the next couple of years!

Sherielle
01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
I love snakes. I used to work in a pet store that had Burmese pythons and I just loved working with them. My sister, though, is so phobic of snakes you can't even say the 's-word' around her. Silly.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
I have had relatives and acquaintances with pet snakes who let me hold them, and they are soothing (until one tried to slither up my shorts), though I am not sure I'd choose one for a pet. I do think the decidedly non-pet king cobras are both beautiful and adorable with their anime eyes. I am not scared of garter snakes that I see around the yard, and I did consider a chameleon as a pet before it was pointed out that if it escaped I'd never find it.

Mermaid Enora
01-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I love snakes esp hog nosed vine snakes. Never had any kind of snake for pet except finding little garden snakes outside for a few hours. My mom hates them. I did work at a summer camp with a snake pit. Basically a huge hole in the ground with concrete a small pool of water and some mulch. Only the counsellors were allowed in the pit. It was really fun to jump in and pick up the snakes to let the kids pet them. The counsellors had to be tall enough to get up the six foot wall surrounding it in order to get out. I'm 5'9" so no problem for me but some of the shorter counsellors had trouble esp if they were too keen on snakes to start off with. :)

Felicia
01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Sucks that most of you want snakes but can't have em :(
the first snake I ever had was a corn snake that I snuck into my dads house when I was 9, when he found out like two years later I had to get rid of her, so when I moved out I bought a new one just to prove a point lol. But now I breed ball pythons and crested geckos, and I plan to breed some corn snake next year hopefully. I love reptiles in general, I think they make amazing pets and they're so beautiful

Mermaid Galene
01-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Back in my zookeeper days, I owned a lovely milk snake. Now I just enjoy the wild fox snakes that live under our front steps. One of them is currently hibernating behind some old aquarium equipment in our basement!

Mermaid Nerida
01-30-2015, 04:55 PM
I really love snakes, and would love to have one, but both my parents hate snakes (Mom's afraid, and Dad kills them :cry:) and I have a pet mouse, and I wouldn't be able to feed a snake any live, or dead mice, rats, etc.

Felicia
01-30-2015, 06:32 PM
I really love snakes, and would love to have one, but both my parents hate snakes (Mom's afraid, and Dad kills them :cry:) and I have a pet mouse, and I wouldn't be able to feed a snake any live, or dead mice, rats, etc.

I have rats, mice and ferrets but I have no problem feeding my snakes rats/mice I don't really know why but it doesn't make me feel bad at all

Merman Jamie
01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
its part of the way of life and its there food source. thats the way i look at it.

Fun123joker
01-30-2015, 06:50 PM
yessss snakes look adorible but like everyone, my mom is terrified by them (she had a bad experience during her childhood.)
maybe i'll get one once i grow up and settle in my own place

Theobromine
01-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I loooove snakes! I used to have a really sweet corn snake that I liberated from my crappy brainless ex who barely fed her anything and didn't notice when she had a bad shed that constricted the tip of her tail and caused her to lose it :(

Now I have a snake that I finally convinced my husband to get me for my birthday last October. He's a baby Vietnamese blue beauty snake and he's sooooo cute but has a really bad temper! I have to work with him a lot to get him used to being handled. He was really good today though, he hung out with me for a couple hours while I watched H2O :)

Felicia
01-30-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm glad there are quite a few who like snakes/reptiles, I get so tired of the shrieks of fear or disgust towards them.

Merman Jamie
01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm glad there are quite a few who like snakes/reptiles, I get so tired of the shrieks of fear or disgust towards them.

totally agree

Mermaid Nerida
01-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Yaasssss! Every time I say that I love snakes, or mice, or anything that is a reptile or rodent (or spiders, they're sooo adorable!), I get "ewwwww!" Or "thats soooo gross!" I either just say that God made all creatures and I respect them and think no less of them than I would a human. Or just blow it off and walk away. Sometimes I fear that I might hurt someone. It really bothers me how some people can't see how snakes (or any animal/insect for that matter) are beneficial to our environment.

^^ That does not include people with a phobia. I have a phobia of masks and mascots so I completely understand how it feels to be terrified of something irrational.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!

Felicia
01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Yaasssss! Every time I say that I love snakes, or mice, or anything that is a reptile or rodent (or spiders, they're sooo adorable!), I get "ewwwww!" Or "thats soooo gross!" I either just say that God made all creatures and I respect them and think no less of them than I would a human. Or just blow it off and walk away. Sometimes I fear that I might hurt someone. It really bothers me how some people can't see how snakes (or any animal/insect for that matter) are beneficial to our environment.

^^ That does not include people with a phobia. I have a phobia of masks and mascots so I completely understand how it feels to be terrified of something irrational.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!

It gets pretty annoying to hear that all the time, I have rats, mice, ferrets, snakes, and crested geckos (and of course a cat and dogs), so hear all the time that my pets are gross or smelly or that they disgust that person, sometimes I wanna punch people who say "ewwww", I fully understand if you someone doesn't like my animals but don't tell me how gross they are because in my opinion they are my babies.

I have a snake group on FB for the area I live in and we get trolls that tell us how "gross" we are for keeping such creatures.

Tolgarr
01-31-2015, 01:34 PM
I've loved snakes ever since I was a kid, but my father is deathly afraid of snakes so I have never been able to keep one. :( There's a lot of small garters and milkies around here that I catch and play with. They've been caught so many times they don't seem to mind me anymore. :P

Spindrift
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm going to just leave this here (me):

MerAnthony
01-31-2015, 06:33 PM
When I was younger I had a ball python an he was 6 foot long an I held him alot an he would wrap around my arm an lay on my neck when I walked around. I miss him. As for me to have a snake now I would have to live in my car with it. My gf is deathly afraid of them. Even the talk about getting one sends her into a frendzy about it. So I guess getting one is out of the question.

Felicia
02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
my newest baby, she's a killerbee ball python

Mermaid Sonyta
02-01-2015, 10:00 PM
So cutteee!!! I love snakes. I've had 8 snakes in my lifetime, all of them small though I do wish to have a Python some day :)
I currently don't have any snakes because I don't have a safe environment for one :'<

MadisonTheMer93
02-04-2015, 05:31 PM
I love them!! I had ball python years ago that my environmental science teacher gave me, but my dad made me get rid of her :( I want another so bad, but I hear it's bad to get them from pet stores and I don't know where else to find one.

-The curious new mermaid

Theobromine
02-05-2015, 01:03 AM
You can easily get ball pythons from a lot of different places, they are very popular and a LOT of people breed them. Getting one from a pet store isn't automatically bad, but pet store animals usually come from much larger breeders/distributors so you don't know exactly where it's coming from. That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be unhealthy, you just have to check carefully before you buy. But if you want, you can also buy directly from a breeder, which is how I prefer to get my reptiles. A great way to do that is to see if there's a reptile expo in your area. Those draw in tons of reptile breeders from all over the country, so you can have a huge range to choose from, get to see and handle reptiles in person before you buy them, and speak directly to the breeders. That's how I got my redfoot tortoise nine years ago, and my dart frogs that I used to keep. Oh, and my alligator lizard.

Another option is to simply buy online. Most breeders will ship reptiles same-day or overnight, which can be a good option if you're after something more difficult to find, but the shipping is expensive. You can check out individual breeders' websites, or check the classifieds on kingsnake.com or faunaclassifieds.com. I've gotten reptiles this way before (a viper gecko from saurian.net and my current snake from a breeder I found on faunaclassifieds). Caveat emptor, but I've had great experiences both times; the sellers were great and answered all my questions, the packaging and shipping were great, and the reptiles arrived in perfect condition.

Theobromine
02-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Also, here's a picture of my baby snakie. Glaurung, the Wingless Wyrm:

This crappy cell phone pic does NOT do him justice.

Merman Jamie
02-05-2015, 06:12 AM
Awesome snake pics.

Echidna
02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
I can totally see why you named him after the Golden Wyrm.

Mermaid Galene
02-05-2015, 09:30 AM
What beauties!

Felicia
02-06-2015, 02:11 AM
I love them!! I had ball python years ago that my environmental science teacher gave me, but my dad made me get rid of her :( I want another so bad, but I hear it's bad to get them from pet stores and I don't know where else to find one.

-The curious new mermaid

ball pythons are everywhere, petstores (not necessarily bad but make sure you get a healthy one), breeders, expos, and online. I breed me and I got my starters from a local breeder that I found through a FB group call "BALL PYTHON CLASSIFIEDS" (I'm not yelling it's really in all caps) so with alittle searching you may find someone local

Capt Nemo
02-06-2015, 03:55 AM
Had 3 brown snakes and 2 garter snakes. Lost them all to a disease within a month.

Snaker was the most beautiful brown snake most herps had ever seen. She was a wild caught snake. She tried to winter in the hanger at my Guard unit, and I couldn't put her outside as she'd freeze. Had her 12 years. She was 24" (22" max recorded length for that snake) and had intense coloration. Mom loved the fact that she ate garden slugs as part of her natural diet.

MermaidLuna
02-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I love snakes! Unfortunately my mom is not to fond of them so no scaly noodles for me yet.

Felicia
02-14-2015, 03:08 AM
Got an early birthday present from my boyfriend today!!27404

Mer-Crazy
02-14-2015, 03:14 AM
Felicia I am so jealous! He/ she is gorgeous! :drool:

Felicia
02-14-2015, 03:27 AM
I'm so feeaking happy, I've been wanting an albino for a long time now, and he is just so gorgeous, my phone doesn't pick up his bright orange very well though. His name is Varric

Merman Jamie
02-17-2015, 04:27 AM
Awesome albino

Mermaid Michelle
02-25-2015, 12:39 PM
I love all animals even snakes and spiders

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10945683_10204974450954282_3989388736185389558_n.j pg?oh=006d17bde202322fdced72d18920e0bc&oe=558D3ECC

MermaidAine
04-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Loving everyone's pictures. I have a Red Tail Boa named Cooper. I have had him since he was a baby, he is now about 5 years old. He is a sweetheart. I will have to post a picture of him when I get home.

Mermaid Sirenia
04-27-2015, 06:56 PM
I've wanted one for the longest time, but sadly my mom is TERRIFIED of snakes, so I'll just have to wait til I move out :/ I find it ironic I find this post after I had a dream about having a pet snake last night lol

Delphinus
05-05-2015, 09:37 PM
I've always loved snakes! I used to own a ribbon snake as a child, and then in middle school I adopted a Mexican Milk Snake from my science teacher, who wanted to give him a good home. Unfortunately, the old boy ended up passing away peacefully a handful of years back. Haven't had a new snake since him.

MerMaisy
05-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I love snakes too. I mean I'm not to into rattlesnakes or cobras. I find venomous ones interesting though. This pic is a few years old.
IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/8144e3cec448cedb16e1402aa0c75993.jpg[/IMG]

AnnaAbyss
05-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Yes haha I love snakes. I had a pet Children's python from 2009 to 2012. Her name was Baby and she was really adorable except she hated being handled so I gave her away to a lady in my town who is also a vet. Apparently she has a better life there now. LOLOL. Children's pythons have this lovely iridescent rainbow sheen on them. :3

Grey Gambit
05-05-2015, 11:04 PM
I really love snakes, but unfortunately the place I'm living now does not allow them. D: When I'm in a place that can I'm thinking about getting a corn snake.

I used to have a rescued garter snake (my cats caught it and had injured it pretty badly), and man, they were the coolest. Totally relaxed about being held after they healed up. I had plans to release it back at the river near our house, but then they got taken to school for show and tell by one of the foster kids my mom had and it came back dead... I don't know what happened. None of the kids would say anything. :(

MermaidLilyRose
05-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I never used to really like snakes cause they freaked me out a little until I started seeing my boyfriend who had 2 pet snakes and then I got used to them and now I love them!

the only sucky thing is that where me and my boyfriend live we arent allowed to have our pet snake so my mums having to look after her until we fins somewhere else where we can have her back (which my boyfriend is counting down the days until, he misses her lol)

valkyrie
08-01-2023, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone, can you guys tell me the pros and cons of a snake as a pet? Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance!

artorias
08-01-2023, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone, can you guys tell me the pros and cons of a snake as a pet? Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance!
Howdy! Snakes can make fascinating and low-maintenance pets for the right individuals. Pros include their unique beauty, minimal space requirements, and relatively low cost of care compared to traditional pets. They are generally quiet and can live for many years. However, cons include their specialized dietary needs, potential for aggression if not handled properly, and the legal restrictions and permit requirements that some areas impose for owning certain snake species. Additionally, some people may find it difficult to handle and interact with snakes due to their lack of emotional connection or traditional pet behaviors.
However, this is only the bare minimum of information. I recommend Exploring the Benefits and Drawbacks of Keeping Snakes as Pets (https://www.ablison.com/pros-and-cons-of-snakes-as-pets/) to learn more about these magnificent reptiles. I hope I answered your question :)

waternok
12-23-2023, 02:34 AM
Snakes make excellent pets for people interested in observing and appreciating unique behaviors in the animal kingdom. They exhibit fascinating behaviors, such as shedding their skin and various hunting techniques. Their relatively low space requirements make them suitable for individuals with limited living space. Additionally, snakes come in various species and sizes, offering a wide range of options for pet owners to choose from based on their preferences and experience level. The educational aspect of owning a snake can also be an advantage, as it provides an opportunity for learning about reptile care and behavior.

angelicascream
12-24-2023, 03:09 AM
While I respect everyone's opinion, I find snakes to be fascinating companions. They have unique behaviors, are low-maintenance, and can be quite rewarding for those who appreciate their special qualities.

mermankar
12-24-2023, 03:15 AM
While I respect the diverse choices people make in selecting pets, I've personally found immense joy in having a dog. Dogs bring a unique warmth to the home. Also, I want to give a shoutout to the Dosty app (https://apps.apple.com/az/app/dosty-pet-care-dog-tracker/id6451440232) —it's been a lifesaver in organizing and streamlining my pet care routine. This app is a must-have for every pet owner, offering a hassle-free and organized approach to caring for our beloved furry friends