PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tails

Mermaid Enora
01-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Just curious, for those in Texas only, what types of tail/s do you own?
sillicone (merbellas, finfolk, mertailor, pearlie, sirenalia, etc), fabric, neoprene, sequins, self made, and so on.
I myself have a self made sequin neoprene tail.
Just curious to see what kind of variety of tails we have in the great and big State of Texas.

Jade Shadows
01-31-2015, 10:12 PM
I got a latex silicone tail I am an hour from Austin I was wondering is there any where up there to go swimming at in the tail, I have no clue I am new to this and I want to get up with some mers who do partys and corporate events etc, you have a sequin tail how did you make that what kind of sequins...I love mermaid Celine think that's how you spell it, she sequins are so amazing I was thinking to do that to mine as I have free time I can do it by had I have no idea how to use a machine, how did you make it...

Aysun_the_Mermaid
01-31-2015, 10:15 PM
I have a Silicone Pearlie Mae tail on the way.

My job provides me with a Slilicone FinFolk (very early gen) during work hours.

Mermaid Enora
01-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Jade shadows,
im having a photo shoot in two weeks and then everyone can see my tail. Big reveal haha...
ill then be starting a thread of how I did it, kind of a backwards way of doing it.
as for meet ups look into the Texas pod threads there's several about that and we're possibly having a DFW meet up in March if you want to drive up?

MadisonTheMer93
02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
I got a latex silicone tail I am an hour from Austin I was wondering is there any where up there to go swimming at in the tail, I have no clue I am new to this and I want to get up with some mers who do partys and corporate events etc, you have a sequin tail how did you make that what kind of sequins...I love mermaid Celine think that's how you spell it, she sequins are so amazing I was thinking to do that to mine as I have free time I can do it by had I have no idea how to use a machine, how did you make it...

I believe we're having a meet up the weekend of the 6-7 in June in Corpus Christi!

As for the tail, I have the Mertailor's eco tail. Nothing fancy, but it's a start :)

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Pickles
02-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I have a neoprene tail from aquatails that needs to get taken in...AGAIN, and it has sequins in spots. XD The vast majority of my sequins went missing when I moved. However, still have the tail!

Sherielle
02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I have a mermaid creations I bought second hand and a fabric mernation tail.

LauraLWatson
02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I have a latex tail custom made from Mermaids of Hawaii (she no longer makes them) and a 2nd hand latex tail originally made by Marbella's. My next tail will be full silicon made by either Sirenalia or Fin Folk. Mermaid gigs pay for mermaid stuff, so I'll be making a down payment on a new tail sometime this summer. :-) Probably going with a rich red (crimson) and deep copper.

Merman Lir
02-03-2015, 06:44 PM
no tails currently, but will be putting a down payment on a silicone tail with MerNation later this month (waiting on funding and a weight loss goal). I realize most people start with fabric or neoprene and work up to silicone... but I'm not the cautious type. I hate baby steps. :)

Mermaid Lunette
02-03-2015, 08:36 PM
I should be getting a pearlie mae tail soon enough <3 <3 <3 <3

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 10:05 AM
I am making my own silicone tail. The owners of Sirenalia said they'd let me use their scale board as we have become acquainted with each other. I'm really looking forward to learning some stuff from them. This will be my first tail...ya know...if you don't count the ones I made with random pieces of fabric and safety pins when I was a kid lol

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
I have a latex tail custom made from Mermaids of Hawaii (she no longer makes them) and a 2nd hand latex tail originally made by Marbella's. My next tail will be full silicon made by either Sirenalia or Fin Folk. Mermaid gigs pay for mermaid stuff, so I'll be making a down payment on a new tail sometime this summer. :-) Probably going with a rich red (crimson) and deep copper.

Sirenalia has some awesome tails! I've been to their shop. They're really quite talented :D

Merman Lir
02-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Sirenalia has some awesome tails! I've been to their shop. They're really quite talented :D

I considered Sirenalia for my tail, since they are in Austin and I could come down for fitting/to pick up the tail and save shipping. But since I've been waiting 2 months for a return e-mail, they sort of dropped out of the running.

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I considered Sirenalia for my tail, since they are in Austin and I could come down for fitting/to pick up the tail and save shipping. But since I've been waiting 2 months for a return e-mail, they sort of dropped out of the running.

When did you email them? Maria is actually about to have a baby, so...they might actually not have enough time to get back anytime soon because of all the preparations they are making.

Merman Lir
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM
January 7. (I just looked it up in my e-mail) I thought I e-mailed in December... but it's still some time ago. water under the bridge I guess.

I'll give them another shot before I pull the trigger

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 07:42 PM
January 7. (I just looked it up in my e-mail) I thought I e-mailed in December... but it's still some time ago. water under the bridge I guess.

I'll give them another shot before I pull the trigger

it's worth a try :) She and I talk every once in a while. She is usually more active online etc. but I can understand what they're going through...well...not really...as I myself do not have children...but I can imagine it for sure.

polyhymnia113
02-06-2015, 01:00 AM
I live between Texas and LA, most of the time in LA but am in Texas about four months a year total. When in Texas I am usually between Austin and San Antonio (specifically Harper and Lockhart and surrounding areas). I have a Merbellas tail in production that should be done and shipped sometime this month. Would love to meet up and swim with some of y'all when I am next in Texas in April. :) Has anyone tried tail swimming at Hamilton Pool Natural Area?

JamesGunnels
02-06-2015, 01:08 AM
I live between Texas and LA, most of the time in LA but am in Texas about four months a year total. When in Texas I am usually between Austin and San Antonio (specifically Harper and Lockhart and surrounding areas). I have a Merbellas tail in production that should be done and shipped sometime this month. Would love to meet up and swim with some of y'all when I am next in Texas in April. :) Has anyone tried tail swimming at Hamilton Pool Natural Area?

I am sure people have tried it...at least I think some may have. My boyfriend was wondering the same thing. I am not necessarily into wearing the tails, but making them is fun. I am going to make myself one, however. I cannot wait to be done with it :D I bought a new Minos Monofin from Spain and I really want to use it at Hamilton Pool. As far as I am aware, we cannot use monofins/tails at Barton Springs.

LauraLWatson
02-06-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm trying to set a firm date for a March meet up here in Dallas-Fort Worth, with a state-wide meet up planned for the Corpus Christi area in June. Hope you can join us Mermaid Enora! (L.A. or LA- Los Angeles or Louisiana? hehe.)

I reached out to Sirenalia in 2013, had a few quick responses to emails and then communication slowed and nothing has been returned since early last year. I know they also just got back from a mermaid retreat in Brazil. I plan to reach out to them again when they start going full swing after the baby is born.

polyhymnia113
02-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Los Angeles. :)

Mermaid Enora
02-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Definitely want to come just trying to figure out my work schedule

AmbrGlows
02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I have 2 spandex tails currently. One of which I'm about to cover in GE silicone to give it a dolphin like feel to it. I also have the spandex to make a third tail and I'm waiting for the spandex store to get more Jumbo in the colors I need to make 2 painted spandex tails.

Firemaid
02-13-2015, 07:24 PM
I have 3 Sirenaila tails!!! ;)

Mermaid Pickles
02-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Silly goober, of course you do, you make them! XD

Gem Stone
02-26-2015, 12:33 AM
I have a latex tail I can't swim in, two spandex tails I made this past winter, and a silicone tail in the works. So excited!

siren_selene
05-01-2015, 01:14 AM
When I get home from overseas I plan on making a spandex or neoprene tail to use while save up for a silicone tail. I would love to have something made by fin folk. I am also toying with the idea.of making my own silicone tail. But I know it's quite a process. I love DIY though..lol

Lotus the Mermaid
06-22-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm getting a PearlieMae tail, as well! I found out I'm 7th in the official production line, and she's fantastic at working on several at a time, so I'm pretty sure I'll get mine soon!!! I'm super excited! :D :dance:

Aysun_the_Mermaid
06-22-2015, 11:04 AM
It looks like there will be 4 Pearlie Mae tails within an hour or so of eachother by next year.

Seatan
06-22-2015, 11:24 AM
I used to have a Finfolk that I sold back to Abby and Bryn, and I am now waiting for a tail from Lily at Syren Studios to use in Honduras doing photoshoots and such with tourists! :)

Finfolk Tail (SOLD):

My new tail is going to be in pastels. Here is the inspiration board (I borrowed a picture of Seaglass Siren's nymph style tail to try a little coloring on!):

https://www.pinterest.com/michellepuck/ideas-for-pink-tail-by-syren-studios-nymph-fluke/

Merman Lir
06-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Mermaid LaNyah is making mine.. (she's listed in the tailmakers section as an up and comer...) Can't wait!

AmbrGlows
06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Tail update.

1st tail has a blue body with a siler and black scale-ish pattern on it.

2nd tail is silver and still needs to be covered in GE silicone for a dolphin like feel.

3rd tail is a full body tail coming up over my chest. It is my selkie inspired tail made of brown stretch velvet for the body and a leather-look spandex for the fluke.

4th, 5th, 6th & 7th tails are in the works but I can describe the color combinations of each.

4th is an artic inspired tail for a winter born mermaid. It will have a blue body with a silver fluke and blue veins down the fluke. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/22/3d8c79c816efa56116f00d81161e06a3.jpg

5th is inspired by this mermaid's favorite flower, the plumeria. It will have a silver body with a yellow fluke and pink both down the sides of the body and fluke, as well as pink fluke veins. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/22/d217fb4ba4addc720189fe2d888094ed.jpg

6th has no real inspiration but it will be a pink tail with purple fluke and silver & pink veins. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/22/70108564f4454eb1b3ac76d68864791d.jpg

7th will be a purple tail with a blue fluke and silver & purple veins. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/22/8eeed66a9edb4c2f2ddea07276f6d9fc.jpg

All tails are made by me using spandex.

Seatan
06-22-2015, 03:56 PM
DANG LADY THAT IS A LOT OF TAILS! You need a tail closet! An arMERoire perhaps?

AmbrGlows
06-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Lol, great thing about spandex is that they fold up nice and small. I do have a hanging garment bag that my FinFun monofin fits into nicely. Once I get all my tails done I can put them all on hangers and keep them all together in that.

Merman Lir
07-29-2015, 03:19 PM
31801 first silicone. I'm a happy guppy

JamesGunnels
07-29-2015, 03:25 PM
31801 first silicone. I'm a happy guppy

Who made your tail? It's gorgeous!

Merman Lir
07-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Mermaid LaNyah, she's an up and comer! http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?11460-Mermaid-LaNyah-Tail-review

Moon_Lightning
12-13-2015, 11:05 PM
My first tail is a Fin Fun Aussie Tail. Though I do hope to make my own some day and maybe further down the line get a neoprene tail (or something like it).

AmbrGlows
12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
My first tail is a Fin Fun Aussie Tail. Though I do hope to make my own some day and maybe further down the line get a neoprene tail (or something like it).

Spandex tails aren't too difficult to make once you have a pattern and a good sewing machine. We also have a great spandex store in Dallas at Harry Hines & Perth Street.

Mermaid_Sebina
12-18-2015, 12:44 PM
My first tail is also a fun fun tail, Ariel green. I really want to save up for a silicone tail though :)