PDA

View Full Version : Just saw this on my relatives FB page :(

-Annwyn-
02-01-2015, 04:21 AM
I couldn't believe how head-in-the-sand this person is. It makes me angry.

Echidna
02-01-2015, 07:28 AM
It's easier for people to just ignore unsavoury facts, than to change their views and lifestyle sadly.

AniaR
02-01-2015, 09:35 AM
I have fond memories of marineland too. But I was ignorant to suffering. I can't just pretend now that it doesn't happen...

Merman Dan
02-01-2015, 10:47 AM
As a distributor of Anheuser-Busch products, I could visit Sea World for free. As Raina said, back in the days of ignorance. Now I am awake and so glad that A-B sold the parks so I am at least one step removed. Now to shut them down...

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage." - Harold and Maude

MarkF
02-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Calif. Marineland of the Pacific, the park was purchased by seaworld just to get the Orcas. Then they sold off the parts.
Around the Orca tank at the bottom level were the offices.
I use to fix the money counting machines for them, the whales would press their eye up against the glass window to watch the coins move in the light. They were bored.
When the female would get pregnant she would smash her head against the window, breaking it. She did that every couple years. They managed to keep it out of the news. The hole was the size of a watermelon and the water would shoot across the room missing the furniture and hit the wall on the other side. Lot of water down the hall- lots!

-Annwyn-
02-02-2015, 07:29 AM
I have fond memories of marineland too. But I was ignorant to suffering. I can't just pretend now that it doesn't happen...

Exactly!

MermaidBonnie
02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
MarkF that story was heartbreaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spindrift
02-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Calif. SeaWorld of the Pacific, the park was purchased by seaworld just to get the Orcas. Then they sold off the parts.
Around the Orca tank at the bottom level were the offices.
I use to fix the money counting machines for them, the whales would press their eye up against the glass window to watch the coins move in the light. They were bored.
When the female would get pregnant she would smash her head against the window, breaking it. She did that every couple years. They managed to keep it out of the news. The hole was the size of a watermelon and the water would shoot across the room missing the furniture and hit the wall on the other side. Lot of water down the hall- lots!

Wow. Just wow.

OceanRose
02-25-2015, 08:50 PM
:-(

Tiger Lily
04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
That's horrid! Those poor babies!

Moana.the.mermaid
04-11-2015, 10:27 AM
That's very sad, but not unheard of. Many of the current orcas in captivity slam their heads against the walls. So sad that such majestic creatures have been reduced to our entertainment at the expense of their sanity.

much love, one love - Moana

MarkF
04-12-2015, 12:14 PM
I think at that time, 1980's was when the public started realizing that ocean mammals were more than mindless creatures. Laws start preventing the capture of Killer Whales.
I remember the people at the Marineland park did care for the whales and were aware of the SeaWorld's track record, these differences made the paper from information slipped by the park employees. The fact Marineland was able to keep their Orcas alive and Seaworld wasn't. SeaWorld had to keep buying more Orcas and giving them the same name "Shamu the Killer Whale." SeaWorld must have thought that Marineland's had become domesticated because they were breeding, so they bought the Marineland to get the whales.