PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Production Company

SINicallyTwisted
02-02-2015, 12:49 PM
First off, I really hope I put this in the correct location of the forum. I wasn't entirely sure which category this would fall under. If I put this in the wrong area, I am truly sorry. Is there a thread somewhere for any questionable companies that some of us should be aware of?

I was recently contacted by someone that I wouldn't exactly say is a friend but more of an acquaintance, asking me if I would be interested in being in a commercial for a production company that apparently is local to me. I had very little details or specifics given to me and I'm a bit leery of the whole idea. I basically got a message saying "Hey, do you have a swim tail?" and then a second message telling me of this production company that's looking for a mermaid for a commercial. No other information was given other than that. I've learned over the years to always do my research so I did a search on the production company that was mention and I'm not finding anything that really fits. I am 'slightly' interested but I also don't want to come across as a you-know-what. The only reply that I have given at this time is asking what type of swim tail the company was looking for for this commercial because I don't know what the company had in mind for a 'swim tail'. I did receive a reply with a small description of what the company is looking for to film, the type of tail wasn't really a specification that they were interested in and that it offers "imdb credit" which I have to say, I'm not really all that impressed with. Can't pay bills with "credit", you know. There was not anything mentioned about any contracts or pay, other than the credit comment.

Every thing about these messages, the way they were sent to me and not being able to find any credentials or any information about this production company has my red flags a-wavin'.

Any advice?

Echidna
02-02-2015, 01:15 PM
eh.
Either they think you're not professional (some businesses prefer to just take anyone who fits the bill and is happy to help without being paid), or they are not professional.
I'd rather say the latter, because of the way how they contacted you and didn't give details.

What's more, a legit offer would probably not be a business proposal so much as an invitation to some kind of audition, to see if you fit their idea.
You can reply once more, being all pro ("I offer such and such, my rates are $$ per hour/photoshoot" and so on, be sure to have waivers for copyrights and insurance), and ask for real details.

If none are forthcoming, I'd block them.

SINicallyTwisted
02-02-2015, 01:32 PM
I just replied asking for credentials on the company since I can't find any anywhere. I also stated that if someone from the company is genuinely interested, to please contact me via my email and to send a contract there for me to review.

I'm also thinking that this is not a professional company.
Pun intended...Something seems fishy here.

MerAnthony
02-02-2015, 10:33 PM
From what you describe something sounds very fishy. I would tell them this is that you get so much per hour an so forth. I bet they drop you in a heart beat.

SINicallyTwisted
02-10-2015, 02:20 PM
So it's been a week now since I replied, asking for credentials and requesting to review a contract. They went completely silent on me and I've received nothing in my email. Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes: