PDA

View Full Version : Tail doesn't fit...?

maressa
02-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Hi guys, so I got my Finfolk tail yesterday and it's beautiful and very well made, and I love it. I took it out for a swim, and I have some concerns :-/

I put it on using coconut oil, the monofin fits fine and the tail slides on to past my midriff (almost to my chest). Once in the water, it suctions to my body, but when I swim the gapping in the back pulls in water and actually pulls the tail skin down to bunch around my ankles. Not a wrinkle, a BUNCH, about 6-9 inches of the tail. I will post photos/video soon. Basically I can't swim in the tail without it falling down and I have to constantly pull it up :(

What should I do? I expected a wrinkle at the ankles and I know gapping at the back is natural, but it's interfering with being able to swim.

JamesGunnels
02-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Have you already contacted FinFolk about the size problem?

maressa
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Yes, I sent them a message, haven't heard back. Wanted to post here too to see if anyone else has had this issue with another tail

Meilyn
02-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Is the tail too big or not tight enough?

AniaR
02-05-2015, 07:09 PM
my ankles bunch but it's intentional. after having ankles that were skin tight I found I always had a lot of pain and very hard to get tail off on and on. You can beat the bunch by wearing high socks inside so the silicone has something to grip onto, and by pointing your toes while you swim I find :) and sometimes with silicone it takes a few swims/tries to get used to how the tail sits on your body and figure out how to get those bunches and wrinkles out. even my skin tight tail would sometimes bunch down if their was significant drag at my waist.

maressa
02-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks Raina! I think I will try that. It was VERY slippery inside the tail from all the oil, maybe that's why it slid down so much. I'll try that next time i go and see if it helps.

Meilyn
02-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Watched your video.

The only time I've had that monofin/tail problem was when i didn't have it sitting high enough on my waist.
To be honest, I've never felt any gapping with my tail or any slippage. Try wearing your tail higher if possible? It took me no less than 45 minutes to get mine on the first time, I'm amazed you're not exhausted with putting it on the first time.

MermaidCelesteFL
02-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Use less oil. My tail slipped all over the place when I used conditioner for a shoot, and I put conditioner all over every part of my legs. I learned to only put conditioner on my calves to ankles, and I don't have that problem anymore.

maressa
02-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Watched your video.

The only time I've had that monofin/tail problem was when i didn't have it sitting high enough on my waist.
To be honest, I've never felt any gapping with my tail or any slippage. Try wearing your tail higher if possible? It took me no less than 45 minutes to get mine on the first time, I'm amazed you're not exhausted with putting it on the first time. In the original post I said I had pulled it up to almost my chest. There's literally no way I didn't have it pulled up enough. I got it on in about 3 minutes, partially because I used so much oil, lol!

maressa
02-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Use less oil. My tail slipped all over the place when I used conditioner for a shoot, and I put conditioner all over every part of my legs. I learned to only put conditioner on my calves to ankles, and I don't have that problem anymore.
This is what the twins said too in their message back! Thanks Celeste. I did use a LOOOOT of coconut oil, so that makes sense, haha. Round two next week!

AniaR
02-06-2015, 12:43 PM
I def find that lube and how much makes a difference I'll give you an example:

This was my first swim in my new tail. As you can see loads of wrinkles and bunching. It felt skin tight but everyone was asking me if it was too big. I used a lot of lube and had trouble getting it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2shdJO1wP0Y

Not go forward 2 weeks after I've used the tail a bunch, figured out a better system for getting it on, wearing up over the ankle neoprene socks, and figured out my lube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RywRse22uTw

It just takes figuring out all those little subtleties of tails. I personally feel from personal experience of having my ankles loose, tight, and then intentionally loose, that if you get them to take it in you'll regret it down the road. It's hell on your ankles, smooshing them together, hard to avoid ankle blisters, causes aches and pains, makes it super hard to get on and super hard to get off. You can work with the ankle being loose there are many ways around it. But once it's tight there's nothing you can do to change it. Speaking from experience and wishing you the best of luck :)

AniaR
02-06-2015, 12:47 PM
I often find coconut oil doesnt leave the tail fast enough once it's on. You want it to be water soluble so you can open the waist, let in some water, and flush it out so it doesnt slide around while you swim. I use aveeno basic moisturizer and it hasnt let me down since. Wont hurt the silicone or break anything down, will wash out mostly when you let water in, and easy to clean out of your tail. Meanwhile oil can stay around longer, leave residue, and has a higher potential of causing mold if it sits around in your tail in my experience! coconut oil can be great, but you might find something else easier. I know lots of mermaids use hair conditioner because it slips in, and rinses out and doesnt typically cause mold.

Theta
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Throwing in my two cents to say that I agree with Raina about the lotion. I would stay clear of conditioner- I know a lot of people use it, but if you've got sensitive skin at all, it can irritate it, since it's got a mild detergent in it. I started out with conditioner and couldn't figure out why my legs were getting itchy and red- that was why. Even though it kind of washes out from the tail as you're in the water, it was still a problem.

AniaR
02-06-2015, 02:45 PM
^ good point I've never really used it as I have sensitive skin too! I tried it once for shaving my legs at someone's suggestions an dit was horrid hahaha

Theta
02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Haha I feel like a lot of people use conditioner without knowing what's in it. I'm the crazy mer in the back slow-mo diving for someone's legs as they go to put conditioner on going, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!" It's pretty awful for your skin if you leave it on too long.

Mermaid Harmony
02-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Maybe I have sturdy skin, but I use conditioner and love it, and my tail smells really good after too.

maressa
02-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys for the advice! I actually use a conditioner to shave my legs, my skin is not sensitive at all and actually works better with conditioner than with a lot of shaving aids. I will try that!

Theobromine
02-08-2015, 07:07 PM
What I've found works the best for me is actually just aloe vera gel. I was using water-based personal lubricant at first and it's really slippery and works well to get the tail on, but the aloe gel is just as slippery, yet it washes off a lot more easily. I can use a ton of it to slide into my tail, then after a few minutes of swimming around most of it is washed away. Plus, it's totally skin-safe and environmentally friendly! I use the Trader Joe's brand, which I find to be the cheapest and it comes in a huge bottle.

MermaidBrandie
02-11-2015, 10:03 PM
What she said. Although, conditioner is a new one, I'm not sure what condition would do to silicone. If it has a lye or degreaser in it, it could eventually break it down.

You can also try a WATER-based lubricant. It's silicone safe and slippery, but once in the water it will be dissolved by the water. :)

SeaGlass Siren
04-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone have any recommendation on what lubricant brands to use? I've been using conditioner for the longest time and had no problems with it. But I have a shoot and I don't want to soap the set :P

MermaidBrandie
04-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone have any recommendation on what lubricant brands to use? I've been using conditioner for the longest time and had no problems with it. But I have a shoot and I don't want to soap the set :P
Use a basic water based lubricant. :) usually you can find a bottle at the grocery store near the condoms.

Otherwise I recommend System Jo H2O

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SeaGlass Siren
04-13-2016, 08:10 PM

telzey.amberdon
04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Naughty toy lube.

MermaidBrandie
04-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Naughty toy lube.
Yes but that's not specific enough there's a lot of different types. Some are made with silicone and that can messbup your tail (or any silicone toy). The toy or tail will absorb the lube and will cause it to bulge.

Water based is safe on silicone toys and tails but some of the cheaper ones can have ingredients that can irritate the skin or ladyparts.

System Jo H20 is recommended for its high quality. I recommended it because its thin and will easily dissapate in the water.

For "other" uses, I personally recommend Sliquid Sea. Water and seaweed based, very gentle on the skin. ^.^

*flutters away*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Salty
11-17-2016, 11:44 PM
There are so many fantastic tips in this thread. I am learning so much. You guys. Don't stop.