PDA

View Full Version : Educating others to stop stealing mermaid photos

AniaR
02-15-2015, 02:45 PM
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COPY THIS TEXT AND MAKE YOUR OWN IMAGE, OR SHARE MY IMAGE, OR DO SOMETHING SIMILAR. Hoping to create an awareness campaign to cut down on how much this happens!

From my FB post:
https://www.facebook.com/RainaMermaid/photos/a.183334358367982.40273.183327321702019/1005405949494148/?type=1&theater

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10290631_1005405949494148_4133314035317623135_n.jp g?oh=57c13da0868899425406798ac9d79476&oe=55906E2E

A special PSA from the Halifax Mermaids (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halifax-Mermaids/644749652223161) about photo use in the mermaid community. Please read and share, and if you're a mermaid please feel free to copy my text and make your own image to share!

It in common sense in the model/photography world that you don't just take other people's photos, remove credit, claim them as your own, edit them, sell them, or repost them (without permission) In fact, that sort of behaviour is illegal! And goes against the TOS of most social networking websites like tumblr, instagram, facebook etc. But of course, this is the internet! It's hard to police that sort of stuff and it's usually up to individual artists to track down misuse of their work.

Well, the SAME rules apply in the mermaid community! It's not cool to just take a mermaid photo, remove credit, and repost it, print it, or claim it as your own. IT HAPPENS SO MUCH TO MERMAIDS. I can't tell you how many instagram accounts I find that are totally made up of stolen photos. Usually done because the person wants a popular account. Or how often facebook fanpages post mermaid stuff without crediting anyone. I refuse to like the popular "mermaid art" fanpages because so many of them do nothing to credit or link back to their artists they take images from.

There are a LOT of reasons why this is problematic in the mermaid community. Here's a list of a few:

-This is how we make a living; we rely on our images to help us
generate income. Both by bookings; and by selling the images.
-it often removes our credit along with the photographer;
undermining the hard work of everyone who made the image
-reposting images that don’t belong to you without permission
is against the TOS of websites like Instagram and Tumblr etc.
-It’s actually against the law in North America, photographers
and models can file something called a DCMA take down notice
-People often don’t credit, or give the WRONG credit which confuses
potential clients.
-Instgram because of how it crops, removes watermarks or website links
that would give credit, or help people find out how to book the mermaid
or the photographer.
-it’s pretty rude generally, would you want people stealing photos of you?
kinda creepy!
-Just because something is online does not mean it’s there for you to take.
“I found it on google” is not an excuse. Now you know!

One reason I forgot on my list, is that we often have to have special permissions to post these images online- especially if they have kids in them. So that makes it extra NOT COOL when you steal images!

ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION, ALWAYS CORRECTLY CREDIT, USE A REPOST APP
(THERE’S LOTS OF GREAT ONES) SO CREDITS AREN’T REMOVED AND
VIEWERS CAN FIND THE PEOPLE ASSOCIATED WITH THE IMAGE.

Best Fishes!