PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Meet-up in Brisbane or Gold Coast

Mermaid Labrynth
02-17-2015, 05:44 AM
Hello, im a bit of a newbie to the forums but i saw others organizing meet-ups for mermaid swims, i would love to do this with others local to me in Brisbane or i dont mind traveling down to the Gold Coast we well if need be. Any other Queensland Mers interested and know of pools or even other locations? I usually use my local pool but i know there are the man made lagoons at Redcliffe or even at South Bank.

Mermaid Kelda
02-17-2015, 06:20 AM
When Selene and I met up, we used the pool at UQ in Brissie. It's olympic sized, and they gave us a lane to ourselves, but it's heavily chlorinated and I could barely open my eyes after the few hours swimming there. So, I'd recommend that only as a last resort :P

There are lots of natural springs up on the Sunshine Coast - they take a while to get to, but if you don't mind a car trip and a short walk carrying our tails, they're beautiful places to swim. Pure, fresh, deep water perfect for mermaids (and photoshoots!).

Mermaid Labrynth
02-17-2015, 06:33 AM
I usually use the local Caboolture pool, its less harsh on the eyes, partial salt water too. I would definitely love to see some natural places on the sunshine coast though! I am limited with travel with only public transport currently, though i may be able to convince a friend to come for a trip since there is some gorgeous areas up that way. ;)

Mermaid Kelda
02-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Public transport is no issue! If you can catch a train up to Landsborough, we can take a few cars out :) I'm really easy on location, in any case. I haven't been to the Caboolture pool before - nice to know it's partial salt! I assume they allow tails, then?

Mermaid Labrynth
02-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Ive swam there several times now, haven't had any issues at all, from staff or other swimmers, there is a few lanes set up. The staff are all quite relaxed, It's a 50m as well so a decent length. =)

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Sunshine Coast is definitely worth it, there is a really beautiful waterfall at Maleny called Gardner's Falls, it's only accessible by car.

I've been there its quite private and if you get the sun just right on the water you will have some pretty splendid photos, it is a rockfall area, a yoga mat will be encouraged for placing on your tails, there is a little creek to swim in, I think you would need to slid in with your yoga mats to prevent tears however its a really great place for photography :)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Gardner%27s+Falls+Maleny&biw=1280&bih=590&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=jqcGVYX-OMvj8AXSi4LIAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1.5
(https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Gardner%27s+Falls+Maleny&biw=1280&bih=590&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=jqcGVYX-OMvj8AXSi4LIAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1.5)
I would be deterred using any of the main beaches as it is quite wavy and not calm making it dfficult to see and it is a surfer's beach also and it is extremely busy.

There is also Scarborough beach near Redcliffe however it is not patrolled by lifeguards however it does have a secluded area where you won't be bombarded by people (that's if it is your style) unless you opt for Sutton's Beach which is patrolled by lifeguards.

I wouldn't use Redcliffe Lagoon, its filled to the brim with families every weekend, unless you can organise a week day meet up which will be your best option in my opinion and also Southbank is busy Monday-Sunday and the swimming area at Southbank is smaller in size than Redcliffe and its chokers busy there, you'll be lucky to put on your tail lol.

I also recommend Bribie Island, there is a place called Banksia Beach its pretty much vacant around the clock unless you go to Woorim surf beach, its a bit more busier there however unlike Banksia Beach it is patrolled by lifeguards. It gets busy at Woorim however I don't think you'll be bombarded by many people in my opinion.

All the best :)

Elle
03-16-2015, 06:04 AM
Golden Beach is nice, it's part of pumice stone passage and there is less current there than bullcock beach (usually)

There's also Tallebudgera (sp?) creek on the Gold Coast. I don't know how busy it is these days, since they put the Rec Centre in

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Mount Tamborine would be beautiful also on the Gold, Tallebudgera Creek I highly recommend and 2nd the suggestion. It's really calm there and there are plenty of places you can place a towel down, there is even some light forestation near by the beach which is good for placing your towels and mats when out swimming :)

There is even a nice boardwalk area if my memory serves me right, I don't believe it is patrolled beach its a good family area however :)

Mer-Crazy
03-16-2015, 06:25 AM
I'm in where ever you guys decide to go. Still waiting on my tail, but I'm happy to bring my camera along for photos. Travel time is the only thing for me, since I'm 20 south of the border, so it will take me longer to get places the further north I go. I'd say anything Brisbane or higher I'd only be able to do if it was on a weekend.

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 06:36 AM
I believe Tallebudgera Creek will be great then Selene, its on the south side of Queensland, the water is calm. I would be inclined to say that would be a good meet up spot since its convenient (for most of us) :)

Elle
03-16-2015, 06:40 AM
I'm in where ever you guys decide to go. Still waiting on my tail, but I'm happy to bring my camera along for photos. Travel time is the only thing for me, since I'm 20 south of the border, so it will take me longer to get places the further north I go. I'd say anything Brisbane or higher I'd only be able to do if it was on a weekend.

My tail is not yet completed so I'm in the same boat

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 06:57 AM
If you can make do with a monofin there are places in Queensland, Brisbane and Gold Coast that stock Mermaid Mahina's monofin, its very close to a real fluke and I think its $99 or $109 what I like about its made from recycable materials and made in an eco-friendly factory. I'm going to inquire with a business to find out if they have stock so I can practice and get used to being one-legged before the real deal :)

Mer-Crazy
03-16-2015, 07:00 AM
I think if you contact Renee from MerQuest she's offering a discount for people who are attending. I may be mistaken as I think it was only vaguely mentioned once in a conversation I had with someone. You'd have to ask her.

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 07:08 AM
That's cool to know however I think I'd prefer it if I could pick mine up straight from the store ;) I think I would go swimming in it same day lol.

Mermaid Labrynth
03-16-2015, 05:24 PM
How long till you ladies have your Tails? =)

Elle
03-16-2015, 05:30 PM
A couple of months? I have to wait for silicone to come in on back order then put everything together

Mer-Crazy
03-16-2015, 05:41 PM
If my tail is finished on time I should have it around June? Just in time for winter my luck. That being said I have no idea when it will be done. I've sent all my stuff off to Raven and am under the impression it's getting close to the construction faze, but I am know it has not been constructed yet since there were a couple of details she was going to send me pictures of for me to confirm before they were added.

Elle
03-16-2015, 06:12 PM
June might not be that bad, depending when the cold snap happens. Most of June last year sat around the mid 20s....that's swimmable still.

alternatively find a climate controlled pool.

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Here in Australia, we do not need to worry about when we can or can not swim, I hardly notice the water being icy during winter unless you swim prior to 9am in the morning, the best time to swim in Winter is after 5pm when the sun has set and the water is nice and toasty for usually about an hour :D

Mermaid Labrynth
03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
I go to our local pool (Caboolture, its an outdoor 50m) a few times a week and swim in my tail, i only have a fabric tail currently, but im loving it, if any of you ever want to meet up and go for a swim there or at one of the other pools or even another location, let me know. =)

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks Labrynth, currently tailess however until my tail is ordered I am going to invest into a monofin in the process of deciding at the moment.

Thank you :)

Elle
03-20-2015, 03:15 AM
I go to our local pool (Caboolture, its an outdoor 50m) a few times a week and swim in my tail, i only have a fabric tail currently, but im loving it, if any of you ever want to meet up and go for a swim there or at one of the other pools or even another location, let me know. =)

Hey I'm happy to meet up and swim in my monofin sometime.

Mermaid Labrynth
03-20-2015, 04:30 AM
Hey I'm happy to meet up and swim in my monofin sometime.

That would be awesome, im also happy to meet up with other Mer's and have a coffee etc too, my Pod is a tad small currently lol Shoot me a PM sometime and we can organize. :D

Mermaid Kelda
03-20-2015, 06:38 AM
I'd love to meet up, too! My parents live on the Sunshine Coast so I come up through Caboolture fairly frequently. I'll PM you next time I'm up that way :)

Mer-Crazy
03-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately Caboolture is a little bit too far away for me right now (2 hours haha)

Mermaid Labrynth
03-21-2015, 03:42 AM
Awesome Kelda! Selene im actually going to be visiting my Mum who lives on the Gold Coast soon, i was scoping out the southport pool they just finished!

Mermaid Kelda
03-21-2015, 03:47 AM
I'd be happy to come down to the Gold Coast too, it's less than an hour by train for me :)

Elle
03-21-2015, 05:27 AM
When is soon? I'm 10minutes from brisbane city so it's not a huge drive for me

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-21-2015, 11:35 PM
We could take public transport together you and me, Elle from Central Station. I live 50 minutes away from Brisbane City by public transport. I don't have a car or access to one. I've done it before and its usually 3 hours to get the Gold Coast one way :)

Mermaid Kelda
03-22-2015, 01:32 AM
It's three hours from coast to coast, not from Central. It's about an hour from the city to the Gold Coast :)

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-22-2015, 02:26 AM
The three hour time slot is from where I reside, not from Central which is only about 2 tops via public transport. I am not sure how long it would take via car as I haven't done it before.

Mermaid Kelda
03-22-2015, 04:34 AM
Ah, fair enough. Depends on where on the Gold Coast, too.

Elle
03-22-2015, 06:08 AM
I have a car and I'm quite happy to provide people with a lift. (provided I'm not busy on the day in question)

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Awwww, Elle you are a hun *hugs*. I would definitely provide you with petrol money if that would help.

Elle
03-22-2015, 06:47 AM
No sweat. And yes it would. As long as you can get into brisbane I'm happy to drive you and Kelda down to the gold coast for a day. Again providing I'm not busy on the day :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Labrynth
03-26-2015, 03:07 AM
I'm going to my Mums this weekend and will be going to the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre Sat afternoon and i was hoping to go again on the Sunday but i could possibly do Monday as well as i was going to head home on Monday at some point, just whatever is easiest for people with jobs etc. =)
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegoldcoast/gold-coast-aquatic-centre-23174.html

Mermaid Labrynth
03-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Sorry for the slow reply, :doh: its been awhile since ive used forums, please feel free to add me on Facebook if any of you like.

Mermaid Kelda
03-26-2015, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately I'll be in Lismore for the weekend, Monday included :( I'll be there next time!

Mer-Crazy
03-26-2015, 04:56 AM
Saturday works for me :)

Elle
03-26-2015, 04:57 AM
I'm working Saturday... :(

Mermaid Labrynth
03-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Im happy to go both days if people like or we can organize a set date another time, but ill be going to the pool anyways =D <3

Mermaid Labrynth
03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Went to the Gold Coast aquatic centre sat and Sunday, bummer I didn't get to see anyone, maybe another time! Was cool to see a synchronised swimming competition on there though! :)

Echidna
03-29-2015, 07:34 AM
That's pretty cool, synchro swimming is effectively dead here.
(People think you are making stupid moves because you can't swim properly!)

I know I should have taken my chance to go to QL when I had it :p